Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Mongoose Traveller

Mongoose Traveller Discussion forums for the Traveller rules from Mongoose Publishing.

Old October 24th, 2013, 05:39 PM
Peer of the Realm

Gallery : 1
Visit SpaceBadger's Blog
SpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected Citizen
Default Trade Goods Table

Anybody have a good replacement for the Trade Goods Table on p.165-166 of Mongoose Traveller Main Rulebook?

I like some of the ideas for Trade Goods in MgT, such as having illegal goods available only from black market dealers, and having other trade goods available only if they are "common" or appropriate to the trade class of the source world.

What I have a problem with are some of the "common" goods that are available on any/every world. So whenever a trader visits a primitive TL3 world with a Pop of 7,000 inhabitants, there will always be 1d6x10 tons of Basic Electronics available (Simple electronics including basic computers up to TL 10)? Really? And with no price mods on purchase? Same for Basic Mechanical Parts?

Yeah, I could just ignore the silly results, or make up some explanation, but these aren't even silly die roll results, these are automatic trade goods always available on every world.

Just wondering if anybody has fixed this system for MgT to make more sense.
GM Maxim #2: If the Players have any kind of Ship, deckplans are mandatory. Otherwise, the Players will wander around with vague and contradictory notions of where things are, and Chaos results.

Playing ex-Ranger Frank Masuda in Magnus's Permatic Imperium T5 PbP
Playing Engineer Ank Buchannon in flykiller's Imperial Scout Rescue Service PbP

My Old Stuff (2013-14)
SBRD Campaign Quick Reference
SBRD Campaign Wiki: Reavers' Deep during The Long Night
Old October 24th, 2013, 05:48 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 3
HG_B Citizen+HG_B Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceBadger View Post
So whenever a trader visits a primitive TL3 world with a Pop of 7,000 inhabitants, there will always be 1d6x10 tons of Basic Electronics available
Maybe limit it to primitive voltaic piles?
Old October 24th, 2013, 06:11 PM
Absent Friends Margrave

Gallery : 0
Visit pendragonman's Blog
pendragonman Citizen+pendragonman Citizen+pendragonman Citizen+

Quote:
Anybody have a good replacement for the Trade Goods Table on p.165-166 of Mongoose Traveller Main Rulebook?

I like some of the ideas for Trade Goods in MgT, such as having illegal goods available only from black market dealers, and having other trade goods available only if they are "common" or appropriate to the trade class of the source world.

What I have a problem with are some of the "common" goods that are available on any/every world. So whenever a trader visits a primitive TL3 world with a Pop of 7,000 inhabitants, there will always be 1d6x10 tons of Basic Electronics available (Simple electronics including basic computers up to TL 10)? Really? And with no price mods on purchase? Same for Basic Mechanical Parts?

Yeah, I could just ignore the silly results, or make up some explanation, but these aren't even silly die roll results, these are automatic trade goods always available on every world.

Just wondering if anybody has fixed this system for MgT to make more sense.
TL 10 abaccuses? abacci?

3 times elevated Knight of the Iridium Throne, Marquis Djar, Marquis of the Solomani Rim (Fafhrd), Count Uakye, and Count Jana. Duke Ninua of the Imperial Core.
Old October 24th, 2013, 07:09 PM
Absent Friend

Gallery : 11
rancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizen

Quote:

What you need is a rule to determine the maximum amount of goods available based on some fraction of the world's GWP. The problem with that is that a plausible result will render many worlds useless for free traders. A world that produces Basic Electronics would still take decades or centuries to produce 10 tons of them if the population is small.

Complicating the question is trade hubs where the goods available are mostly not manufactured locally but imported from elsewhere.

Hans
Old October 24th, 2013, 08:52 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Marchand Citizen

I don't have that much of a problem with your TL3, Pop 4 world having 60T of basic electronics available. Just because they're for sale at the starport doesn't mean they were made on that world. They could have been imported as part of another deal that fell through. You might even leave a clue on some other world about the deal on XXXX that went south - "I wonder what that guy did with all those holovid players - they're probably still gathering dust over there..." And then the players might get a positive DM on the value table.

If you still feel this is a problem, a simple solution is just to provide the basic goods you feel would plausibly be avaialble.
Old October 24th, 2013, 09:30 PM
Absent Friend

Gallery : 11
rancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marchand View Post
I don't have that much of a problem with your TL3, Pop 4 world having 60T of basic electronics available. Just because they're for sale at the starport doesn't mean they were made on that world. They could have been imported as part of another deal that fell through.
Assuming for purposes of argument that that's true, that would work for one world. It wouldn't work for every world in Charted Space. I doubt it would work for two worlds in Charted Space. It would be a rare occasion indeed when the inhabitants of a TL3 world got involved in a deal involving 60 tons of basic eletronics. The shipment would be worth a good deal more than their GWP (Impossible to say how many years' worth, as the rules for GWP and currency exchange don't go below TL5).

Hans
Old October 24th, 2013, 10:06 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 3
HG_B Citizen+HG_B Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by rancke View Post
Assuming for purposes of argument that that's true, that would work for one world. It wouldn't work for every world in Charted Space. I doubt it would work for two worlds in Charted Space. It would be a rare occasion indeed when the inhabitants of a TL3 world got involved in a deal involving 60 tons of basic eletronics. The shipment would be worth a good deal more than their GWP (Impossible to say how many years' worth, as the rules for GWP and currency exchange don't go below TL5).

Hans
Right. A once in a lifetime occurrence. Not a once every 36 weeks occurrence...
Old October 25th, 2013, 12:17 AM
Peer of the Realm

Visit SpaceBadger's Blog
SpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by rancke View Post
Complicating the question is trade hubs where the goods available are mostly not manufactured locally but imported from elsewhere.
In that situation, I often arbitrarily add whatever other trade classifications I think should apply based on trade passing through, even if the mainworld doesn't otherwise qualify.
GM Maxim #2: If the Players have any kind of Ship, deckplans are mandatory. Otherwise, the Players will wander around with vague and contradictory notions of where things are, and Chaos results.

My Old Stuff (2013-14)
Old October 25th, 2013, 01:04 AM
Peer of the Realm

Visit SpaceBadger's Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by HG_B View Post
Right. A once in a lifetime occurrence. Not a once every 36 weeks occurrence...
Agreed, but actually it is worse than that.

I wouldn't mind so much making up some explanation for randomly-rolled goods that don't seem to fit, but these are "common" goods which means under MgT trade rules that they are available on every single world, no matter what trade class, no matter what UWP.

Every world has the common goods available, all the time!

My Old Stuff (2013-14)
Old October 25th, 2013, 01:12 AM
Peer of the Realm

Visit SpaceBadger's Blog

Further contemplation of this thread has me considering going out on a new limb w respect to spec trade goods - except for on some roll to account for the "stranded goods that need to be moved along to somewhere else" and similar rare occurrences, you can't buy spec goods that aren't a product of the world where you are buying them. So worlds that don't produce any sort of goods will very rarely have any sort of goods available - unless they are busy trade hubs, at which it is much more plausible to pick up goods don't originate there.

My Old Stuff (2013-14)

Last edited by SpaceBadger; October 25th, 2013 at 01:23 AM..