Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Mongoose Traveller

Mongoose Traveller Discussion forums for the Traveller rules from Mongoose Publishing.

Old October 1st, 2009, 06:16 PM
Citizen: SOC-9

Gallery : 0
JcFalkenburg Citizen
Default Opinions on the Aslan Module

I was wondering what you guys thought of the aslan module, especially as compared to the original and the dgp versions.
Old October 1st, 2009, 07:02 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 28
Visit kafka47's Blog
kafka47 Citizen

I am 95% done. It is clearly superior to the original Aslan module save in the description of the careers. I think the MT module is still better but sort of let the cat out of the bag, as they basically use it as a platform to announce their discovery of the secret/gag. However, I do like many of the innovations that Mongoose inserted...I have trouble reconciling their view of Tobia with what I recall from GURPS.

Overall, it is a solid product, more so, if you do play Mongoose Traveller. It is a better product than the GT module, slightly better than the CT but not as good as MT. If you needed a one line summary.

Naturally, they do make some canonical mistakes but it is clear that they were doing their take on it. Whilst, that take may be questionable, it is consistant with their other products which emphasize fun over debates and mechanics.

Check out the calendar for active Toronto Traveller games: http://www.meetup.com/Toronto-Area-Gamers/
Old October 1st, 2009, 07:33 PM

JcFalkenburg Citizen

Thanks for the quick reply kafka, I have the original and the DGP modules, but I guess I'll go ahead and order this one too. thanks again.
Old October 2nd, 2009, 02:07 AM
Citizen: SOC-13

infojunky Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by JcFalkenburg View Post
I was wondering what you guys thought of the aslan module, especially as compared to the original and the dgp versions.
IMHO it is on par with the original CT module and defiantly better than the DGP one (except for art).
Old October 2nd, 2009, 11:01 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 7
Visit Border Reiver's Blog
Border Reiver Citizen

Head and shoulders above the original CT module. Almost comes close to DGP book but misses the mark by a few centimeters. Probably a bit better than the GURPS book.

Art. Good for the most (will never be as good as that by Mike Vilardi and Blair Reynolds but still good, I wish Blair was still illustrating Traveller).

Content. Also good. Quite a few clashes with previous material but nothing that actually breaks the Aslan. I am certain that if I had never read Rats & Cats that this book would be definitive.

"I have come to believe there is nothing in the lives of human beings more terrifying than war and nothing more important than for those of us who have experienced it to share its awful truth."- Ron Kovic
Old October 2nd, 2009, 07:09 PM

JcFalkenburg Citizen

What was the Gurps Aslan book like ? Did it bring anything new to the table ?
Old October 3rd, 2009, 03:52 PM
Citizen: SOC-11

Gallery : 1
Visit Brian Blank's Blog
Brian Blank Citizen

I've not found a copy at My FLGS, yet, but what I did see in the preview on DriveThruRPG. com looked pretty good. The Aslan in the artwork look a little bit more beefy then the ones in the CT/MT/GT modules. Somewhat similar to the Kilrathi but I rather like it.

Leaves room for speculation about variation within the Aslan species, or maybe the Solomani have been selling them steroids.

Looks good though.
Maquis Mater - Daibei 1819 E7663008
SEH Battle of Louzy 4518th Lift Infantry Regiment
TAS Member - Solomani Rim 0809 Azun B576ABCB

"Overkill is Underrated" - Col. John " Hannibal" Smith
" I aim to Misbehave" - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds
Old October 7th, 2009, 10:57 PM
Baron

Gallery : 79
Visit Darkhstarr's Blog
Darkhstarr has disabled reputation
Cool

I have read most of it & I've liked it so far (not fond of the art, but that's nitpicking). Haven't read the MT or DGP, so I can't compare. Did like the ship designs (makes me rethink one of my old 100 tonne Imperial fast courier designs) & the all-too small bits on the oddball clans. One of the better Mongoose Traveller module.

"That which does not kill you has made a tactical error." Rule #35 of 'The 7 Habits of Highly Successful Pirates'.

"Sometimes your purpose in life is to be a bad example." Baron Manaxian Roakheil Darkhstarr