Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Mongoose Traveller

Mongoose Traveller Discussion forums for the Traveller rules from Mongoose Publishing.

Old April 22nd, 2008, 05:38 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 0
casquilho Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmccoy1693 View Post
Well, yea. That's the popular thing right now with RPGs. Adventure paths. Tell a complete campaign so GMs/Refs/DMs/whatever don't have to do the bulk of the work. All they have to do is customize it for their own group. I'd expect to see them popping up in just about every RPG.
I am unsure I understand how these "paths" are different from the old D&D linked adventures like the old Giant Series or the Slave Lords Series or the original Drow Series? Help this old man understand.

Daniel
Old April 22nd, 2008, 06:05 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Jame Citizen

Other than the setting, probably not a great deal. Though I may buy one or two and maybe run them.
Member #5, Bring Back T5 in LBBs.

"Unfortunately, the Publishers regret that they can enter into no correspondence on this matter. If the Publishers are involved in any correspondence, they shall trace and revoke your mail priveleges."

Baron Damaascaa Towns, Kiikigulii, 1735 Sakhag/Antares
Old April 25th, 2008, 11:16 AM
Citizen: SOC-13

Visit dmccoy1693's Blog
dmccoy1693 Citizen+dmccoy1693 Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by casquilho View Post
I am unsure I understand how these "paths" are different from the old D&D linked adventures like the old Giant Series or the Slave Lords Series or the original Drow Series? Help this old man understand.
I not familiar with the series so I can't really make a true comparision. My best guess is that they aren't any different in substence, merely branding. Popularized by Paizo while they licensed Dungeon and Dragon mags, they continue to use the same concept in their own products. Since then, other companies have come up with their own APs for their own settings and it is migrating to other systems as well.

Paizo actively choose not to make the term Adventure Path their own trademark, but they have the legal authority to prevent others from doing that as well. So its a general term for the concept. And considering that plenty of gamers, 3rd party companies, and freelancers are walking away from D&D, thanks to 4E, they're going to be taking marketting ideas, brands, and concepts into the rest of the RPG industry with them.

Dale McCoy, Jr.
Jon Brazer Enterprises

Last edited by dmccoy1693; April 25th, 2008 at 11:23 AM.. Reason: Additional info
Old April 26th, 2008, 01:02 PM

casquilho Citizen

Ok, so what I am understanding is they have just followed the same pattern set up by TSR back in the late 70's. Have various adventures that are linked so that if the people wish, they could play them as a full campaign.

I have liked that idea ever sense I played the Giant Series back in 1980. Makes for a lot of fun and is easier on the GM as well.

Daniel
Old April 30th, 2008, 01:45 PM
Citizen: SOC-2

Mongoose Acolyte Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by casquilho View Post
Ok, so what I am understanding is they have just followed the same pattern set up by TSR back in the late 70's. Have various adventures that are linked so that if the people wish, they could play them as a full campaign.

I have liked that idea ever sense I played the Giant Series back in 1980. Makes for a lot of fun and is easier on the GM as well.

Daniel
Pretty much. Although the adventures are more of a whole campaign. The campaigns tend to be better put together than the old series. The GDQ and A series of adventures were pretty much single adventures only vaguely linked by the ongoing theme. Go to G1, kill everything. Then go to G2, kill everything. Repeat until finished. The later compilations did try to fix this a bit, but they still weren't as fluid as something designed specifically to roll on.

The campaigns we write tend to be a little more detailed, by using a patron (as one example) to link the adventures properly. The original GDQ, etc really were just a set of dungeon bashes, one after another (you could get more out of them than this, but a lot of times this was not the case). And whilst I had great fun back in the day the campaigns we now do have moved on a little (like roleplaying in general).
Old April 30th, 2008, 05:55 PM

casquilho Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongoose Acolyte View Post
Pretty much. Although the adventures are more of a whole campaign. The campaigns tend to be better put together than the old series. The GDQ and A series of adventures were pretty much single adventures only vaguely linked by the ongoing theme. Go to G1, kill everything. Then go to G2, kill everything. Repeat until finished. The later compilations did try to fix this a bit, but they still weren't as fluid as something designed specifically to roll on.

The campaigns we write tend to be a little more detailed, by using a patron (as one example) to link the adventures properly. The original GDQ, etc really were just a set of dungeon bashes, one after another (you could get more out of them than this, but a lot of times this was not the case). And whilst I had great fun back in the day the campaigns we now do have moved on a little (like roleplaying in general).
Got it, so you are following more the style Shadowrun did in the mid 1990's. Thanks.

Daniel

EDIT: Just to be clear, I LOVE the idea. Looking forward to the products.

Last edited by casquilho; April 30th, 2008 at 05:57 PM..