Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Play By Post > Magnus' Permatic PBF

Old February 4th, 2019, 04:30 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 39
Visit Magnus von Thornwood's Blog
Magnus von Thornwood Citizen++Magnus von Thornwood Citizen++Magnus von Thornwood Citizen++Magnus von Thornwood Citizen++Magnus von Thornwood Citizen++
Arrow Round 2. SCOUTS!

This thread has information from the current draft detailing the Imperial eXogalactic Scout Service (IXSS), also known as The Service.

The attached file is a PDF of the current second draft chapter on the Scouts of the Permatic Imperium, or at least the ones in The Service.

It doesn't for instance detail those Scouts who serve private concerns. You know basically all those things Scouts tend to do when they Muster Out of the Scouts but still have that need to travel, explore, and maybe discover new things in the sector. Yeah, it doesn't cover that, just Imperial Scouts...and the CharGen for Special Branch characters; Pathfinders (think advanced recon scouts who work with Imperial Army) and Rangers (basically the lone circuit riding Judge or Marshal maintaining Imperial Law for the colonies on the Frontiers).

It is not unknown for the IXSS to be found beyond the borders of the Permatic Imperium. In fact there might be more Scouts beyond the borders than inside them. A fact that I don't think I mentioned yet in the current draft. So pow, brand new content just for you, made up on the spot! How's that for service. Just wait, I feel an Introduction PDF coming through the aether.

It might be useful for those desiring to play Scouts. Just saying.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf [PI Intro] 2.2 The Imperial eXogalatic Scout Service .pdf (150.1 KB, 11 views)
Duke of Sinta, Count Smoug, Viscount Alell, Musayid, & Nii Khu, Marquis Malory & Phlume, Baron Donu-na,
Knight Retainer of the Emperor for Salla, Inarli, & Bhuur,
Knight Retainer of the Baron Jacha, Knight Retainer of the Baronet Kiind,
Knight of the Third Imperium for Trane,
Travellers' Aid Society Member #0543.

Thornwood-Daarnulud LLC

"Some annoying, some entertaining, a few informative, but, Always, Magnus."
dean
Old February 4th, 2019, 06:22 PM

Gallery : 10
SanDragon Citizen+SanDragon Citizen+SanDragon Citizen+

Do you have a crystal ball?

Or a sandbox in the back yard with a Maker in it? Share that Spice!

Because I was thinking of playing a Scout... before I saw all these no posts.

mg- mt+ t5>++(**) ce fl ru+ ge !3i c- jt- au+ ls+ pi+ ta-- he++

Christopher 0301 X065A57-F S kk++ hi+ va+ dr+ vr+ vi-- A613

Duke Eneldun http://travellermap.com/world?sector...20Rim&hex=0326
Baron Overnale http://www.travellermap.com/world?se...rches&hex=1937
K.C.E.G. of Arnyl (Knight Commander of the Honorable Order of the Emperor's Guard) http://www.travellermap.com/world?sector=Deneb&hex=0930
Old February 4th, 2019, 07:37 PM

Magnus von Thornwood Citizen++Magnus von Thornwood Citizen++Magnus von Thornwood Citizen++Magnus von Thornwood Citizen++Magnus von Thornwood Citizen++
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDragon View Post
Do you have a crystal ball?

Or a sandbox in the back yard with a Maker in it? Share that Spice!

Because I was thinking of playing a Scout... before I saw all these no posts.
Wait, you used Spice and still saw a no post...surely you are the Maud-Dib, the Shortening of the Way.

Or you just misspelled "new".

Glad to hear I got something for you to run with. Most excellent.

And if you keep announcing you can see no posts you might attract the wrong kind of attention.
Duke of Sinta, Count Smoug, Viscount Alell, Musayid, & Nii Khu, Marquis Malory & Phlume, Baron Donu-na,

Thornwood-Daarnulud LLC

dean
Old February 4th, 2019, 08:00 PM

Gallery : 0
77topaz Citizen

Scouts with ranks? That's interesting, because if I recall correctly in the OTU it was always a point that the Scouts didn't have a formal hierarchy like e.g. the Navy had. Granted, these Scouts also seem more closely tied to the armed forces than the OTU Scouts in other ways, such as the Rangers and Pathfinders.
Old February 4th, 2019, 08:34 PM

Cool There is indeed a difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77topaz View Post
Scouts with ranks? That's interesting, because if I recall correctly in the OTU it was always a point that the Scouts didn't have a formal hierarchy like e.g. the Navy had. Granted, these Scouts also seem more closely tied to the armed forces than the OTU Scouts in other ways, such as the Rangers and Pathfinders.
The Scouts of the OTU are mostly intel and comms weenies. The Scouts of the IXSS are extremely far from the Home Galaxy that The Service originally came from. These Scouts have a tradition of having to be a bit more self sufficient and at times more combat orientated though if you pay attention you can see how Special Branch and other Imperial agencies or services might cross the Career path of say a Ranger who gets to use the Agent career. Just saying. Lots of wiggle room in that.

And also it seems that if they are going to be working with the Imperial Armed Forces then they need to be slotted into those TOEs (Tables of Organization & Equipment) that the Ministry of War is so fond of having around to make it look like war was some sort of orderly and clean affair leaving out the part where anti-matter and disintegrators may come into play in space, upside, and dirtside.

Thornwood-Daarnulud LLC

dean
Old February 4th, 2019, 08:55 PM

Lightbulb Scout upgrades...

Speaking of Scouts with ranks, I need to get together with MajorB and hash out the crew structure of Scout vessels, a fully crewed and maybe even double Crew Diagram.

Right now I figure the Cool class are rather old and were some of the first off the line ships to spur growth of the then not so hot shipyard industries of the sector. By Vladimir's standards they are cheap to Make and upkeep in the early decades of the Imperium when he could hand them out to the new incorporated Member Nations without both tipping His hand about the true capabilities of the newly formed Imperium and having ships that only His WCS yards could maintain. Now though the Core of the Imperium is actually about 1-2 TLs higher than it was listed in the database and on the starchart of the Far Stars sector. This means the Scouts are actually fielding TL-J (18) ships for their second line and passing out these old TL-G models much more than a century ago when the Abreu class were top of the line bleeding edge products of the Rezuunaak-Keith shipyards. So the actual crew structure maybe more like a DD Type-S of the OTU, a lone Scout has the keys and keeps some friends aboard to lend a hand, and maybe a gun. These days the Phoenix class TL-L (20) Type-S ships are coming into the first line. I think those ships might really be able to get away with what Anne McCaffery's scout service called the Brain and Brawn model of crewing, but with an Intrinsic Personality (what we would call a General Artificial Intelligence, but more like Bank's Minds of The Culture) instead of Shell Person.

Anyway, I can see a standard 4 being crew for basic operations, 1 being for emergency operations, and up to 8 crew for long term or "drag and drop" missions where those extra personnel are left on site while the standard crew do something else either in or out of the system. This means the standard 4 person crew will need some minimum Skills & Knowledges to run the ship at optimal efficiency such as Pilot-3 (ACS-2), Engineer-3 (Knowledge-1 in two areas or Knowledge-2 in one area) and Astrogator-3 due to the legs the class has in the Block 1. The Block 2 Refit of the class increases the needed Astrogator to 5 because with the Fuel from the Drop Tank the class has even longer legs than the Block 1 models.

EDIT: The point of the above ramble is most crews will need some two to four Term Scouts to run them at their best without the Computer's assistance. On the other hand with Wafers that might not be such a problem. But that does mean the Scouts serving on Cool class Type-S ships will have some good skill levels and experience. Thus they'll have Scout Ranks within the IXSS Administration, the IAF staffers' TOEs, and of course the Imperial Bureaucracy in general. (I mean Treasury will want its Imperial Service Personnel Pay Allotment Code for processing the CrImps into the Scout's Personal Financial Account(s) after all. )

Such long term Scout on Active Duty will accrue some nice skills and probably from having to wear several positional and operational hats. Cross training is thing in the IXSS of the Permatic Imperium like the IISS of the OTU.

Thornwood-Daarnulud LLC

dean

Last edited by Magnus von Thornwood; February 4th, 2019 at 09:50 PM..
Old February 4th, 2019, 11:49 PM

Gallery : 10
SanDragon Citizen+SanDragon Citizen+SanDragon Citizen+
Default In other news...!!!

Yes, I meant new posts.

mg- mt+ t5>++(**) ce fl ru+ ge !3i c- jt- au+ ls+ pi+ ta-- he++

Christopher 0301 X065A57-F S kk++ hi+ va+ dr+ vr+ vi-- A613

Duke Eneldun http://travellermap.com/world?sector...20Rim&hex=0326
Baron Overnale http://www.travellermap.com/world?se...rches&hex=1937
K.C.E.G. of Arnyl (Knight Commander of the Honorable Order of the Emperor's Guard) http://www.travellermap.com/world?sector=Deneb&hex=0930
Old February 18th, 2019, 11:18 PM
Peer of the Realm

Gallery : 1
Visit SpaceBadger's Blog
SpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected Citizen

Ohhhh. I don't think this document existed back when I made my Ranger. You just told me to have him serve a term as an Agent, as far as I recall. I guess I'd better dig into this a little harder (may take a couple of reads) to see what, if anything, needs to be changed about my guy to fit the new chargen rules.
GM Maxim #2: If the Players have any kind of Ship, deckplans are mandatory. Otherwise, the Players will wander around with vague and contradictory notions of where things are, and Chaos results.

Playing ex-Ranger Frank Masuda in Magnus's Permatic Imperium T5 PbP
Playing Engineer Ank Buchannon in flykiller's Imperial Scout Rescue Service PbP

My Old Stuff (2013-14)
SBRD Campaign Quick Reference
SBRD Campaign Wiki: Reavers' Deep during The Long Night
Old February 19th, 2019, 03:11 AM

Talking Yeah, well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceBadger View Post
Ohhhh. I don't think this document existed back when I made my Ranger. You just told me to have him serve a term as an Agent, as far as I recall. I guess I'd better dig into this a little harder (may take a couple of reads) to see what, if anything, needs to be changed about my guy to fit the new chargen rules.
You had the first run at the Career speciality so you can't complain that much.

But after you expressed an interest and having thought about it some more I decided to commit something to paper as it were. So, thanks for getting it from a squishy idea in my head to a solid draft in the real world.

Have fun. Comments as always are welcomed and encouraged.

Thornwood-Daarnulud LLC

dean