Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Random Static > Random Static

Random Static This is the forum to post in if you want to discuss non-Traveller related topics. Off-topic subjects found in other forums will usually be moved here if appropriate.

Old May 15th, 2011, 11:11 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 0
Sifu Blackirish Citizen
Default 'ancient' culture explained

Hey, you! Yes, you! I want to talk to you.
There's no need to run. This isn't going to hurt - much.
In fact, one day you may be able to do it without pain.
I want you to think.

I've been in heavy writing mode for the past few months, and one thing a writer needs to be is a student of character. A few of my stories are modeled after people I work with, sort of their alter-egos on display. Between writing and analysis I have been thinking pretty hard.
I can't remember what circuits crossed to bring me around to this subject, but let me throw it out there and tell me what you think of it.

What is sex appeal? Don't panic, I'm keeping it G-rated.

I can throw a few old-school references out there: Mae West, Jane Russell, Jayne Mansfield, Marilyn Monroe, Racquel Welch. Boy, am I dating myself with that group. For some reason I was thinking about this when the 1927 movie "Wings" came on TV.

Anyone here remember Clara Bow? in the 1920s she was known as the 'IT' girl.
'IT' being sex appeal, of course. So, I watched a bit of this movie and picked up a few bits of information on what made her the sex symbol of her time:

1) FLEXIBLE. I mean Yoga master smooth, too.
She walked up to an object, bent at the waist and her head was suddenly three inches above the ground.
2) FRISKY. She had a nervous energy that kept her moving constantly.
3) My favorite, a nice double move that I called IN YOUR FACE/PRETTY, AIN'T I?
She would get right in your face, regardless of what you were doing and give you a flirty smile.

You're probably saying by now - what's the point?

With just a little study and a bit of imagination, I created tags which should be useful in any game. Imagine your major PC hero being continually distracted by this NPC while he's doing some important nitpicky task...

Last edited by Sifu Blackirish; May 20th, 2011 at 03:59 PM.. Reason: added a bit more information

Welcome!
To see more of this thread, please login or register.