Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Play By Post > Space Badger's Reaver's Deep

Space Badger's Reaver's Deep SpaceBadger's SBRD game

Closed Thread

Old August 22nd, 2013, 12:27 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 5
Visit sabredog's Blog
sabredog Citizen+sabredog Citizen+sabredog Citizen+

Until we at least get caught up on the ship's repairs and maintenance we'll try to be in port for two weeks at a time. That should provide plenty of time on thr ground for Doc's activities. After cruising the area a while we'll probay have a good idea of who the regulars will be that especially need his serviced as well as the other things we talked about, small parts, repairs for local machines, and other good will type customer building efforts. It would be good to eventually use all this to establish a regular route schedule.

tc++ ru ge+ !3i c+@ jt au ls pi+ he+
Old August 22nd, 2013, 03:32 PM
Absent Friend

Gallery : 71
DaveChase Citizen

During each mouth, Doc will spend no more than 200 credits gaming (cards and mainly in port layovers), 500 credits on hanging out, eating and going out with attractive (single) ladies, and max of 1,000 personal credits on medical robot parts if he can find them.

Max of 300 credits will be spent fresh fruits and ingredients for making alcohol.

The rest of his monthly pay will be saved up just like he has done his entire life. (ie 1/2 pay is saved, the other half is lived on or saved also.)

4 months of card games, max 200 credits per month spent, 4 rolls; 5, 9, 6, 7
Old August 22nd, 2013, 04:52 PM
Peer of the Realm

Gallery : 1
Visit SpaceBadger's Blog
SpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveChase View Post
During each mouth, Doc will spend no more than 200 credits gaming (cards and mainly in port layovers), 500 credits on hanging out, eating and going out with attractive (single) ladies, and max of 1,000 personal credits on medical robot parts if he can find them.

Max of 300 credits will be spent fresh fruits and ingredients for making alcohol.

The rest of his monthly pay will be saved up just like he has done his entire life. (ie 1/2 pay is saved, the other half is lived on or saved also.)

4 months of card games, max 200 credits per month spent, 4 rolls; 5, 9, 6, 7
Dave, I don't mind you wanting to go back and roleplay Doc's hiring on with the ship, but we are starting the game as of jump-exit at Devonia; figuring out when each person joined the ship was just to provide some backstory as to how long they had been aboard.

I am not going to go back and figure everybody's opportunities to earn more pocket money from the date they joined the ship, so it isn't really fair to do it for Doc.

Just assume he broke even for those four months, I guess, and spent most of his pay. His pocket money as of game start on jump-exit at Devonia is whatever he mustered out with, less the stuff that he bought such as medical drugs, base shelter, lab, and any other gear. What he does with that or whatever else he earns from now on is in-game.

EDIT: I guess we could have roleplayed everything from when Hampton took control of the ship, but that would have involved only Hampton and Max the first few weeks, then Doc and Henry hiring on at Egarnigun, then all the stuff w cleaning up ship's ID and getting new transponder, then Kalos and Gayne signing on at Zwingle - that could have been a good chunk of roleplaying, but I expect Fritz would have gotten very bored waiting four months before Donoma could even meet the crew at Devonia. (Heck, we could have gone back even further and roleplayed everyone's backstory; Max's capture, trial, imprisonment, and release might have been interesting, too.) I decided up front that we were starting on jump-exit at first call in the Deep, and that everyone could either already be part of the crew, or else be waiting at Devonia as Fritz chose. We are not going to rewind and roleplay out everything since Hampton took the ship; the game started when it started.

Playing Engineer Ank Buchannon in flykiller's Imperial Scout Rescue Service PbP

My Old Stuff (2013-14)
SBRD Campaign Quick Reference
SBRD Campaign Wiki: Reavers' Deep during The Long Night

Last edited by SpaceBadger; August 22nd, 2013 at 05:04 PM..
Old August 22nd, 2013, 06:38 PM

Visit Fritz_Brown's Blog
Fritz_Brown has disabled reputation

And, boy has the waiting been fun!
Old August 22nd, 2013, 07:50 PM
Absent Friend

Gallery : 71
DaveChase Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceBadger View Post
Dave, I don't mind you wanting to go back and roleplay Doc's hiring on with the ship, but we are starting the game as of jump-exit at Devonia; figuring out when each person joined the ship was just to provide some backstory as to how long they had been aboard.

I am not going to go back and figure everybody's opportunities to earn more pocket money from the date they joined the ship, so it isn't really fair to do it for Doc.

Not a problem, I just had a small issue with the majority of us already being together for 4 months, and yet knew nothing about each other. Didn't make sense.

As for not wanting to do skill checks and such for the last 4 months, no problem on my part. I just put them there as I would when the character would be doing anything else in game.

See, if you where using the connection rules from some games, where each of the PC's had some type of prior connection to each other, then we would have had some type of backstory and known about each other.

As it is, we the players have little idea of what the other characters are actually like, even though the characters have worked, sweated, laughed and fought together for 4 months.

Not a serious complaint, just hard to get into the groove without stepping on what another character may or may not be doing.

Now, if this new adventure/PbP game had started out like the movie the HangOver, then it would be completely understandable that we as characters have not a clue as to what happened, who did what and why or how they did it.

So, the idea of this backstory is more like flashbacks for the reader, which also in this case happens to be the players. If you note, I changed my posting style since we got through the hiring bit, to basically layout what Doc would be doing for 4 months.

Didn't dictate in engraved diamond plate as there was you the GM and the other player characters actions to be taken/done during those 4 months.

Without the backstory, for example, the question about labels would be really for the first time when the Captain (the player actually) wondered about labels. Did that truly happen for the first time after being together for 4 months?

There will always be some surprises even in real life after being with people for 4 years let alone 4 months, but some should not be even an issue (surprise, first time happening, etc) after being together for 4 days or 4 weeks.
Old August 22nd, 2013, 08:27 PM

Visit sabredog's Blog

I do have to say that I kind of enjoyed the prequel plot here - it gave a me a good picture of the character of Doc (I imagine in public anyway, he is fairly quiet and unassuming, but always with the wheels turning behind the eyes and not to be underestimated in the least...and what debauchery goes on behind his stateroom door while we are in port I don't know if I should envy or just not think about...well, yeah envy) and set up some interesting possibilities for future enterprises.

Aside from the obvious gambling with passengers during jump angle that we can use for all sorts of things the whole distillery idea might lead to some good sources of income, good will, and interesting interactions with customers and rivals down the road. I can imagine that once we (hopefully) set up a regular trade route with some semi-predictable (within the limits of jump time) schedule for the locals, they won't just be expecting us - they'll be setting up a small fair.

"Oh look, the beer ship is coming! The beer ship is coming! Yippee!"

Not such a bad thing at all in what could be a colorful subsector to ply our trade in.

Old August 22nd, 2013, 08:29 PM

Visit sabredog's Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritz_Brown View Post
And, boy has the waiting been fun!
And who's fault was that, Mr. I Want To Start On Devonia?

Old August 22nd, 2013, 08:33 PM

Visit Fritz_Brown's Blog

Quote:
Not a serious complaint, just hard to get into the groove without stepping on what another character may or may not be doing.
That's why I stuck with Donoma meeting the crew here.

But, I don't think anyone is really carping. Let's get on with the meetin'!
Old August 22nd, 2013, 08:45 PM
Peer of the Realm

Visit SpaceBadger's Blog
SpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected Citizen

Quote:
Not a problem, I just had a small issue with the majority of us already being together for 4 months, and yet knew nothing about each other. Didn't make sense.

*snip*

See, if you where using the connection rules from some games, where each of the PC's had some type of prior connection to each other, then we would have had some type of backstory and known about each other.

As it is, we the players have little idea of what the other characters are actually like, even though the characters have worked, sweated, laughed and fought together for 4 months.
I think it would be a big help if you actually read each other's backstories, as some of them are quite detailed. If you look at the Crew Roster, in addition to name and skills there is a bit of compressed backstory on each person, with a link to read more wherever the player posted it. I didn't put all of that together just for my own amusement; I figured players would use it, too.

The only person you really don't know anything about is Donoma, because y'all haven't met her yet and Fritz hasn't posted her backstory (although I have seen it, and it is quite detailed).

Some might prefer the old standby game-start where none of the PCs know each other in-game, and just meet in a tavern and decide to get together for various reasons ranging from reasonable to absurd to no reason at all. I personally get a little tired of that, which is why we started this game with a crew mostly already together aboard ship. If you really wanted Doc to be a stranger to the others, you could have started him on Devonia, as Fritz is doing with Donoma.

Playing Engineer Ank Buchannon in flykiller's Imperial Scout Rescue Service PbP

My Old Stuff (2013-14)
SBRD Campaign Quick Reference
SBRD Campaign Wiki: Reavers' Deep during The Long Night
Old August 22nd, 2013, 09:11 PM

Visit Fritz_Brown's Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceBadger View Post
and just meet in a tavern
Whoah, dude! Don't denigrate the tavern-brawl-meet-up gambit! Or the person-being-ambushed-and-someone-comes-along-to-help gambit! Those are time-honored traditions! You be messin' with karma there, man!
Closed Thread