Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Mongoose Traveller

Mongoose Traveller Discussion forums for the Traveller rules from Mongoose Publishing.

Old October 2nd, 2012, 08:35 PM
Citizen: SOC-1

Gallery : 0
opritche Citizen

The average roll on 3d6 keep the highest 2 would be a 9 (16.67% of the time) as opposed to a 7 on the normal 2d6. 73.15% of all rolls would fall between 7 and 11 inclusive.

A 2 would occur 0.46% of the time and a 12 would occur 7.41% of the time.

See this cool site: http://anydice.com/program/17a9

Here is the breakdown

2 -- 0.46%
3 -- 1.39%
4 -- 3.24%
5 -- 5.56%
6 -- 8.80%
7 -- 12.50%
8 -- 15.74%
9 -- 16.67%
10 -- 15.74%
11 -- 12.50%
12 -- 7.41%
Old October 2nd, 2012, 09:08 PM
Marquis

Gallery : 9
Visit robject's Blog
robject has disabled reputation

I let my players bump up a character's characteristic by one point in exchange for adding a year to its age, before or after chargen, with career access and/or aging penalties applying as written.
Tools Link
Old October 2nd, 2012, 10:22 PM
Citizen: SOC-8

Uriel Citizen

I quite like the Nature/Nurture idea Far-trader. I'll have to try that.
Old October 3rd, 2012, 12:08 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

BytePro Citizen

I just say re-roll the lot till you find one you can live with. <shrug>

Some players have a particular 'character' in mind they are shooting for, others may just hate playing 'weak' PCs... I don't want to spool their fun, but still like to keep the spirit of the random chargen.

I've found that while chargen presents a fun little mini-game and its good for the players to go through the process... computer generated lists of characters to pick from go over real well too. Players enjoy the random elements, but also the choice of which one to pick, without the tedium of pen-and-paper chargen. (But, I don't really play campaigns - so my Players are used to starting over fresh with each new adventure...)
Old October 3rd, 2012, 12:50 AM

Gallery : 16
CosmicGamer Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by steventirey1985 View Post
Traveller, at least in my opinion, is more about normal characters*, doing relatively normal things. Trading between worlds, exploring lost ruins or new worlds, small mercenary actions. No saving the world on a weekly basis, no killing gods, etc. More average characteristics.
Going with trying to have adventurers who are at least average, I've seen an option where if the total of all characteristic DMs is negative you can reroll the character - usually just once and you can go back to the first char if the second is even worse.
Old October 3rd, 2012, 04:18 AM

saundby Citizen

I do pretty much what Aramis does with rerolls as well (two die rolls may be redone, if the player whines enough and either showed up on time or let us know they'd be late before the game. )

Also:

I allow players to treat any failed survival roll as death. (New character.)

Exceptional failure on a survival throw is death. (New character.)

Personal Development table rolls. Plus, I allow a roll against a generic personal development table of each of the six stats instead of the listed one. MGT makes Edu, for example, too hard to obtain for many, many careers. Even if the stat they get isn't the one they want, it may enhance the character enough to be interesting.

Rolls of 6 on a mustering out benefits can be converted to stat increases of +1. Max 3 increases.

Note: I find that many of the "expanded" character classes outside the core book don't give very focused sets of skills. Engineers end up as xenologists who can't fix a drive, frex. Require players to use the core book or Spica books only for at least the first 3 terms.

Also, players coming from other games tend to put everything they can into physical stats when they find out that's their "hit points", using Edu as a dump stat, with weak Int and/or Soc. Let them know they need to look at the stats their intended career uses for survival and advancement. They're probably going to want at least one high non-physical stat. Plus, Edu is not the one to use as a dump stat.

It's worth noting that we regularly have low-stat characters, but players new to Traveller are often scared to play them. So I try to accommodate them until they're ready to place a "Deuce."

Last edited by saundby; October 3rd, 2012 at 04:22 AM..
Old October 3rd, 2012, 06:13 AM

Shonner Citizen+Shonner Citizen+
Send a message via Skype™ to Shonner

If I were to roll a certain way other than the ruled way, I'd use Method I from AD&D and roll 3D6 (and remove the lowest die value) for each attribute.
Old October 3rd, 2012, 07:11 AM

Shonner Citizen+Shonner Citizen+
Send a message via Skype™ to Shonner

Quote:
Originally Posted by opritche View Post
The average roll on 3d6 keep the highest 2 would be a 9 (16.67% of the time) as opposed to a 7 on the normal 2d6. 73.15% of all rolls would fall between 7 and 11 inclusive.

A 2 would occur 0.46% of the time and a 12 would occur 7.41% of the time.

See this cool site: http://anydice.com/program/17a9

Here is the breakdown

2 -- 0.46%
3 -- 1.39%
4 -- 3.24%
5 -- 5.56%
6 -- 8.80%
7 -- 12.50%
8 -- 15.74%
9 -- 16.67%
10 -- 15.74%
11 -- 12.50%
12 -- 7.41%
My Python code shows the same thing pretty much. Note the bell curve that's added:

Last edited by Shonner; October 3rd, 2012 at 07:14 AM..
Old October 3rd, 2012, 09:49 AM

Visit McPerth's Blog
McPerth has disabled reputation

Personally, as I understand Traveller as being more skill focused than stats focused (unlike D&D, and, as an aside, that's one of the reasons I didn't like T4 and I guess I will have the same problem with T5, for what I've read) I always had more problem with low stats than for lack of high ones.

So, I allowed my players to choose among rolling 2d6 per stat or 4d6 and forsake the higher and the lower, so rolling for more average stats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by far-trader View Post
Nature: Roll 1D6 per characteristic in order. This is what you were born with.

Nurture: Roll 6D6 and assign as desired to the characteristics. This is what your upbringing focused on.
While the idea is sound, if you allow me to suggest an ammendment, I'd left Soc out of this system, as is the stat less likely to have strong changes (aside from those represented by skills or mustering out).

I'm not afraid about bullets, what scares me is the speed at which they're incoming.
Old October 3rd, 2012, 10:59 AM
Noble

Gallery : 12
Visit far-trader's Blog
far-trader Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by McPerth View Post

While the idea is sound, if you allow me to suggest an ammendment, I'd left Soc out of this system, as is the stat less likely to have strong changes (aside from those represented by skills or mustering out).
I'm open to suggestions, and appreciate the feedback

I think I see what you're saying. That nurture really won't much affect one's Soc. Yes?

I'd have to disagree if I've got the gist of your reasoning. Those high born (from a 5 or 6 by Nature) are the ones who may go on to greatness through hard work (by adding a 5 or 6 through Nurture). Or they may just be 7th sons and daughters of big wigs well removed from the title inheritance (by only adding a 1 through 4 for Nurture). Even by doing little or nothing they have a comfortable place in society.

Conversely the low born (with just 1 or 2 by Nature) will probably never be great figures (even adding a 6 won't mean much, not without years more of work through career Soc bonuses). They would be the classic self-made man, starting from nothing and becoming Someone.

Original material in this post may be employed for personal non-profit use with the origin noted. Any other use is subject to permission from the author. Contact me through the private message feature of this board.

Fund Rare Bard Rants - Donate your unused rants today!

Musings of an old Trader... (my CotI Travellog) updated - May 3 2012