Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Mongoose Traveller

Mongoose Traveller Discussion forums for the Traveller rules from Mongoose Publishing.

Old January 21st, 2012, 01:34 PM
Citizen: SOC-9

Gallery : 0
l_c_jackson Citizen
Default Use of advanced rifles in melee combat

In Mongoose Traveller, which of the more advanced rifles/carbines (Gauss, Laser, or Plasma) are capable of mounting a bayonet, or being used as a club?

I'm working from the Pocket Rulebook only, I'm too mean to buy the new version of Mercenary (I have the Classic black book and MegaTraveller to refer to).

Many thanks in advance.
Old January 21st, 2012, 02:18 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

steventirey1985 Citizen

Central Supply Catalog has this:

Quote:
Bayonet Lug (TL 3): Many weapons come with a bayonet attachment as standard but it is possible to convert any pistol, shotgun, carbine or rifle weapon to carry a bayonet. Most such conversions are clumsy and diffi cult to shoot or fi ght with, however. Cr 10, 0.1 kg.
Other than that, most weapons don't mention anything about bayonets. So it seems to be a GMs call.

And I could of sworn that there were rules for using a weapon in melee (either as a club, or hitting them with the butt), but I can't find anything. So it seems to be a GM call again.
Old January 21st, 2012, 03:36 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Visit McPerth's Blog
McPerth has disabled reputation

I guess laser weapons have not a barrel strong enough to have a bayonet attached. Not sure about plasma/fusion guns, but anyway the bayonet would be probably damaged by its bolt should they be fired, so my guess is neither them can have it attached.

I'm not afraid about bullets, what scares me is the speed at which they're incoming.
Old January 21st, 2012, 04:52 PM

BytePro Citizen

Any weapon should support a folding bayonet.
Old January 21st, 2012, 06:00 PM

Gallery : 39
Visit Magnus von Thornwood's Blog
Magnus von Thornwood Citizen++Magnus von Thornwood Citizen++Magnus von Thornwood Citizen++Magnus von Thornwood Citizen++Magnus von Thornwood Citizen++
Cool I am with BytePro!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BytePro View Post
Any weapon should support a folding bayonet.
What dude said! Seriously, if your laser rifle doesn't have the strength to mount and use a bayonet, you have made a crappy weapon.

Now, I understand even with proper strength you only want to use a bayonet as the last resort since any stress to the barrel can potentially throw it out of alignment, but it should be able to mount one.

Every rifle should able to, in emergencies, be turned into Club TL-1 or Spear TL-2. It may be Government AmmoSM, but even with support ammo can run out. Steel does not need ammo to hurt people, just a good solid swing or thrust.

Just my 2 CrImps.

And you bet my serious forces both government and merc (such as I would run) have, train, and if need be, use bayonets on whatever long arm they are issued.
Duke of Sinta, Count Smoug, Viscount Alell, Musayid, & Nii Khu, Marquis Malory & Phlume, Baron Donu-na,
Knight Retainer of the Emperor for Salla, Inarli, & Bhuur,
Knight Retainer of the Baron Jacha, Knight Retainer of the Baronet Kiind,
Knight of the Third Imperium for Trane,
Travellers' Aid Society Member #0543.

Thornwood-Daarnulud LLC

"Some annoying, some entertaining, a few informative, but, Always, Magnus."
dean