Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Traveller Wargames

Traveller Wargames Discussion of the various Traveller wargames and miniatures systems.

Old December 6th, 2009, 11:15 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 0
Vargas Citizen
Default Fifth Frontier War - Actual Play

I've been contemplating actually trying out my copy of FFW which I purchased a lot of years ago. I tried once before but life interceded and I never had a chance to get back to it. So I'm wondering, how does the game play? For those who have actual experience, how close does it come to mirroring the "historical" events described in JTAS and SMC? Thanks.
Old December 6th, 2009, 11:37 AM

Gallery : 5
Visit Whipsnade's Blog
Whipsnade Citizen+Whipsnade Citizen+Whipsnade Citizen+

Vargas,

FFW takes a great deal of time and doesn't lend itself well to solitaire play.

As for recreating the events of the war described in JTAS and SMC, the game's map doesn't cover the entire threatre and FTF play wouldn't allow the strategic misdirection that led to both the Zhodani Abyss campaign and Norris' ambush which defeated it and won the war. (Although actions like that could easily occur in a double blind game.)

All this being said, I enjoy FFW very much and in large part due to it's command rules. Wargames too often place the player in the role of the 500 Meter General who sees everything and has perfect control over all their counters. Among other things, the weekly planning function mechanism found in FFW give the game a more "realistic" feel just as the communication strictures in Striker do for that game.

Regards,
Bill
Old December 7th, 2009, 09:36 AM

Vargas Citizen

I get the sense that the primary strategy is to take key systems and park fleets on them or send your fleets in to take systems away. Trying to intercept fleets in motion appears difficult given the weekly planning rules.
Old December 8th, 2009, 01:48 PM

Gallery : 39
Visit Magnus von Thornwood's Blog
Magnus von Thornwood Citizen++Magnus von Thornwood Citizen++Magnus von Thornwood Citizen++Magnus von Thornwood Citizen++Magnus von Thornwood Citizen++
Cool Double Blind you say...

I like the double blind idea, I could see how you could do it, but you would need three rooms essentially. One for the central clearing house, where in lies the main map, and one room each for the Empire and Coalition forces (who get paper maps, made in the other room)...

Yeah, that sounds fun as all get out.

Thanks.
Duke of Sinta, Count Smoug, Viscount Alell, Musayid, & Nii Khu, Marquis Malory & Phlume, Baron Donu-na,
Knight Retainer of the Emperor for Salla, Inarli, & Bhuur,
Knight Retainer of the Baron Jacha, Knight Retainer of the Baronet Kiind,
Knight of the Third Imperium for Trane,
Travellers' Aid Society Member #0543.

Thornwood-Daarnulud LLC

"Some annoying, some entertaining, a few informative, but, Always, Magnus."
dean
Old December 9th, 2009, 01:33 AM
Citizen: SOC-13

warwizard Citizen

I think the double blind is best done on a PBM/PBP situation with each player given a single admiral counter and only gets to know what that counter would know. Would be a big burden on the ref but likley a lot of fun.

I've only played a few turns FTF, and it did not work out, due to a differance in understanding of the play sequense in regards to fleet movement plots.
Old December 9th, 2009, 02:11 AM

Gallery : 39
Visit Magnus von Thornwood's Blog
Magnus von Thornwood Citizen++Magnus von Thornwood Citizen++Magnus von Thornwood Citizen++Magnus von Thornwood Citizen++Magnus von Thornwood Citizen++
Cool Yeah, I keep hoping....

Yeah, but after my encounter with the one TCS/HG game I was going to play dieing due to a bad case of Life in a lot folks , I have serious doubts about it happening here...

I keep hope alive...
Duke of Sinta, Count Smoug, Viscount Alell, Musayid, & Nii Khu, Marquis Malory & Phlume, Baron Donu-na,
Knight Retainer of the Emperor for Salla, Inarli, & Bhuur,
Knight Retainer of the Baron Jacha, Knight Retainer of the Baronet Kiind,
Knight of the Third Imperium for Trane,
Travellers' Aid Society Member #0543.

Thornwood-Daarnulud LLC

"Some annoying, some entertaining, a few informative, but, Always, Magnus."
dean
Old December 9th, 2009, 02:36 AM
Administrator

Gallery : 56
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by warwizard View Post
I think the double blind is best done on a PBM/PBP situation with each player given a single admiral counter and only gets to know what that counter would know. Would be a big burden on the ref but likley a lot of fun.

I've only played a few turns FTF, and it did not work out, due to a differance in understanding of the play sequense in regards to fleet movement plots.
That's doable under Vassal...

Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
Knight of Deneb (Spin 2532)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old December 10th, 2009, 10:03 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Grognard Citizen

Someone should host a PBF FFW game.....Id play.
Old December 14th, 2009, 04:28 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

jappel Citizen

I ran a double-blind PBEM game of FFW back in 2004. In my game, each player served as a Fleet commander, with one additional player on each side serving as CinC. All communications were run through me, with no direct communication between the players permitted. We only got to about turn 10 or so before circumstances forced me to shut it down. Some of my periodic "TNS" updates as well as a series of AAR posts are here in this forum and can also be read on the TML archives.

TNS updates: http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Dis...ad.php?t=12098
AAR: http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Dis...ad.php?t=12107

I used Cyberboard to keep track of the fleet movements - there was a Japanese "gamebox" out there already and I just converted it to English. The trickiest part was keeping track of communications; I kludged a solution together with text files and a spreadsheet. I also wrote up a 2-3 page document adapting the game to PBEM / double-blind / limited-intelligence / limited comms format.

Right off the bat I'll say that the "fortress worlds" and years-long sieges found in canon simply won't take place in this game. Competent Zhodani players will stomp Jewell, Villis and Efate flat in short order. However, at least one if not two Zhodani fleets disappeared off the map from the Imperial's perspective once the war started (both sides had limited intelligence about their opponent's starting positions) and naturally, the Zhos had no clue about which way the first Imperial reinforcements were headed. Things were just starting to get interesting - read the AAR and you'll see what I mean.

I'll see if I can find my rules document and post it.
Old December 17th, 2009, 03:18 PM

Vargas Citizen

In your write up you mentioned posting the Cyberboard files for your game. Do you still have those files?