Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Mongoose Traveller

Mongoose Traveller Discussion forums for the Traveller rules from Mongoose Publishing.

Old October 10th, 2007, 11:39 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 0
daryen Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltaylor View Post
What is your "Gateway material"?
Go check out Gateway to Destiny.
Old October 24th, 2007, 04:11 PM
Citizen: SOC-5

michaeltaylor Citizen
Default Rtt

Quote:
Originally Posted by robject View Post
And, there is a 2D variant. Mongoose may push for that.
That's the one I would want to see.
Old October 24th, 2007, 05:09 PM
Citizen: SOC-5

michaeltaylor Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flynn View Post
The best place to voice this opinion would be over at the Mongoose forums, since that's where they probably hang out.

HTH,
Flynn
Do you have a URL to these forums?
thanks!
Old October 24th, 2007, 07:26 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

Gallery : 1
E.D.Quibell Citizen

http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/phpBB2/index.php

Best Regards

Ewan
Old February 21st, 2008, 02:00 PM

Jame Citizen

I'm not that impressed by the playtest documents, primarily because (1.) they didn't separate bronze and iron ages!!!! and (2.) because the CharGen seems a bit too complex. However, I plan to buy the core rules book and see how it plays out then, so I can give it a proper opinion.

But I would like to say that, judging by the response they've had and given on the MGP forums, they actually do want to do it (in their own view of) right.
Member #5, Bring Back T5 in LBBs.

"Unfortunately, the Publishers regret that they can enter into no correspondence on this matter. If the Publishers are involved in any correspondence, they shall trace and revoke your mail priveleges."

Baron Damaascaa Towns, Kiikigulii, 1735 Sakhag/Antares
Old March 3rd, 2008, 02:20 PM

Gallery : 15
Visit Sturn's Blog
Sturn Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
I'm not that impressed by the playtest documents, primarily because .......... the CharGen seems a bit too complex.
I think one of the most-liked elements over on the Mongoose forums has been the CharGen. I guess it's personal opinion. I actually like my CharGen more complex then Mongoose's.
RIP #309
"I don't need a medal, God knows what I did" -
SGT William Hisle, US Army, on receipt of a letter, asking for his confirmation of an incident, as he had been nominated for the Medal of Honor. A hero twicefold, he threw the letter away.
Old March 3rd, 2008, 09:31 PM

Klaus Citizen

Actually chargen is not as complex as it first looks. The checklist is over fiddly, is all.

Should only be 3 rolls per term, on the whole.

btw, if you do homeworld/background skills after mustering out it makes a bit more sense.
Old March 4th, 2008, 08:47 AM

Gallery : 43
Visit atpollard's Blog
atpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
I'm not that impressed by the playtest documents, primarily because (1.) they didn't separate bronze and iron ages!!!!
What is the tech difference between the Bronze Age and the Iron Age?
(other than 'bronze' and 'iron', of course).
Old March 4th, 2008, 11:53 AM

Gallery : 15
Visit Sturn's Blog
Sturn Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by atpollard View Post
What is the tech difference between the Bronze Age and the Iron Age?
(other than 'bronze' and 'iron', of course).
Being somewhat of a history buff (just a buff, I don't claim any expertise), I had wondered the same, but had not commented due to fear of starting an argument or disrailing this thread. Sorry if my post starts either, not my intention.

In my personal opinion only, I don't think there is a large difference between the two in Traveller 'tech level' terms. An example of each is ancient Greece (bronze) and the Roman Empire (iron). They are two of the most successful civilizaitons of their ages. Note: If you don't consider ancient Greece old enough, ancient Egypt definitely is and the arguments below can almost word for word be used with Egypt in place of Greece.

If you compare transportation systems, instruments of war, communications, medicine, etc, in my mind I can't think of much of a difference. Both used horses. Both used the phalanx in warfare. Both had scholars of science, possibly Greece more-so (but I think most of these scholars came much later, perhaps not considered the bronze age). Both had water-borne ships of similar abilities. The Roman Empire never developed a true ocean-going vessel that I know of. The only Roman advantages I can think of off the top of my head are architectural (Rome had the arch and aquaducts, I don't think Greece did), and siege engines (Rome's war machine developed several new weapons of war). I think both of these advantages were possible by the early Greek bronze-age technologies and tools. They just never thought of them.

Not a large amount of difference in my opinion. I looked at the detailed technology charts included in MT Referee's Companion (pages 28-29). Of 22 examples listed for TL 1, I could only imagine 2 or 3 of them that were available to the Roman Empire, but not Greece (or ancient Egypt).

Let's compare Stone Age to Bronze/Iron Age. I can think of many things the Stone Age people didn't have: horse-riding, large-scale farming, swords, catapults, sea-going vessels, large settlements, the wheel, etc. Some big technology differences there.

Perhaps this is what was being considered by the game-developers when these tech levels were laid down. While Earth-historians have labeled these ages as vastly different, they were speaking of not just technology, but culture and a time-period.
RIP #309
"I don't need a medal, God knows what I did" -
SGT William Hisle, US Army, on receipt of a letter, asking for his confirmation of an incident, as he had been nominated for the Medal of Honor. A hero twicefold, he threw the letter away.

Last edited by Sturn; March 4th, 2008 at 02:53 PM..
Old March 31st, 2008, 01:54 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Visit mcgurk's Blog
mcgurk Citizen
Cool Mongoose Traveller

I was lucky enough to meet Gareth Hanrahan at Conpulsion (Edinburgh University Gaming club's annual show last weekend) he actually let me get my grubby mitts on his HUGE Traveller working folder - and it looked neat!!

He was a really nice guy and he is honestly striving to do the best job he can
he is definetly working within traditional Traveller boundaries and he has even been in communication with Marc Miller, how good is that

I'm personally looking forward to Mongoose Traveller in a big way

Alan Hume