Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Mongoose Traveller

Mongoose Traveller Discussion forums for the Traveller rules from Mongoose Publishing.

Old August 14th, 2007, 07:04 AM
Roger Calver

Gallery :

OK, thats the end of the PA's, if you two want to talk about it between you take it to PM's.
Old August 14th, 2007, 07:58 AM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 0
Echo has disabled reputation

I don't think we have much to discuss!
Old August 14th, 2007, 07:58 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Visit Flynn's Blog
Flynn Citizen
Send a message via AIM to Flynn

One of the things I find disturbing in recent posts on other boards is that people keep pointing to the Runequest SRD as an example of what will be in the Traveller SRD. The Runequest SRD has the following: Character Creation, Skills, Combat, Magic, Adventuring, Equipment, Character Improvement, Cults, Temples, Creatures/Monsters, some Environmental stuff, and some Cosmology stuff.

I am willing to chalk it up to a lack of experience with Traveller, but I certainly hope that there's a bit more than above, or at least a bit different. To be explicit, I would like: Character Creation, Character Improvement, Skills, Combat, Psionics, Equipment, Environments, Creatures/Encounters, World Generation, Starship Creation, Trade & Commerce.

I understand that Mytholder wants much the same list as above, but ultimately, he has to take direction from his boss, who may further be restricted by their negotiations with MWM. He has already mentioned that the Starship Creation rules might, repeat, MIGHT be in a secondary book, but if they are, he has stated that the rules will be made available under the OGL when it happens.

One can hope that at least general info on the OTU, even just library data, would be available in the SRD as well, or at least the opportunity to write in the OTU would be available through the Traveller Logo License (TLL). However, I haven't heard any word at all on that particular subject, save that MWM has told Spica that their project could be one of the first to be released under the OGL and TLL. That may imply OTU access through either the OGL/SRD or the TLL, but then again, the OTU content might be covered by the pre-existing license instead. I don't know for a fact, and I'm not sure anyone else does either, at this time.

Anyway, that's currently where I'm at. I'm not worried about the playtesting of the product. The closer it sticks to its announced goal of deriving from CT, the less testing that needs to be done, because the world has been testing it since 1977. The further one gets, the more testing has to be done. Then again, if it's OGL, we can always publish our own fixes if we find something we don't like. With that in mind, the rules themselves don't bother me. I'm worried about what rules will be left out that we can't play with, as well as whether or not we get to add to the OTU through these licenses.

With Regards,
Flynn
Old August 14th, 2007, 08:12 AM
Citizen: SOC-13

Gallery : 5
Tobias Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flynn View Post
I am willing to chalk it up to a lack of experience with Traveller, but I certainly hope that there's a bit more than above, or at least a bit different.
Well, let's hope that people will realize that Traveller basics are different from Runequest basics.

Quote:
One can hope that at least general info on the OTU, even just library data, would be available in the SRD as well, or at least the opportunity to write in the OTU would be available through the Traveller Logo License (TLL).
Well, in one other thread, a guy from Ad Astra Games was quoted to have said that he conversed with Marc, and apparently Mongoose was a bit overzealous in their announcement. The reconcentration of licences only means RPG engine licences (save GURPS.) Secondary products using the Traveller universe are apparently to go on as before.
Old August 14th, 2007, 08:23 AM

I think it's fair to say that Traveller and RuneQuest are different systems, with different goals.

It's possibly also fair to point out that the core rules of RuneQuest will be greatly expanded by the release of RuneQuest deluxe next month too. I wouldn't rule out that possibility in the future.

From what I've read, the two areas of doubt are the starship creating rules and psionics. Psionics, I'm not much interested in anyway (unless there done in a gimmicky Rhine Deck way!), but IIRC, the suggestion for starship design was that there was going to be a customising-of-several-example-models in the corebook, and an expanded-design-your-own-ship in a suppliment.

I think the key thing is that they want the corebook to be kept as accessible as possible, without too many complicated options. Then again, I may be reading to much into that.
Old August 14th, 2007, 08:48 AM
Marquis

Gallery : 9
Visit robject's Blog
robject has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echo View Post
I think the key thing is that they want the corebook to be kept as accessible as possible, without too many complicated options. Then again, I may be reading to much into that.
It's possible, especially if they're releasing the core book as a 96-page hardcover.
Tools Link
Old August 14th, 2007, 09:28 AM

It's possible, but I don't think Mongoose will be doing a corebook that thin again. Firstly, because there were lots of complaints last time, and secondly because they now own their own printing facilities - meaning that they can print any size they want, without cost implications.
Old August 14th, 2007, 09:34 AM
Citizen: SOC-8

Mytholder Citizen

The current outline suggests the book would come in at 160 pages, but having our own printing monster means that we can be flexible on that. I'm certainly comfortable with a 160-page length - it's short enough to be manageable, but not so short that all the core material can't be covered.
Old August 14th, 2007, 09:47 AM

I'd say that 160 pages is about right - particularly if it's purely core rules, and the Imperium setting will have it's own core book too.
Old August 14th, 2007, 10:38 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Visit Flynn's Blog
Flynn Citizen
Send a message via AIM to Flynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mytholder View Post
The current outline suggests the book would come in at 160 pages, but having our own printing monster means that we can be flexible on that. I'm certainly comfortable with a 160-page length - it's short enough to be manageable, but not so short that all the core material can't be covered.
Thanks for letting us know, Mytholder. At what point do you think you might be able to give us a highlights as to what might be in the core rulebook (not necessarily the SRD, of course, since that's probably a second winnowing process after the core rules are written)? I don't know the procedure at Mongoose, so I don't know when the outline is set in stone and work proceeds from there.

With Regards,
Flynn