Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > The Lone Star

The Lone Star Meet, greet and socialize with your fellow Travellers in the Lone Star Lounge. Random Topics.

Old February 5th, 2003, 10:22 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 0
Loki Citizen
Any comments or thoughts about Microsoft's upcoming Freelancer? Eve: The Second Generation?
Old February 6th, 2003, 03:56 AM
Citizen: SOC-8

Skylinkdave Citizen
Looks like it'll be fun. Seems like it'll have a strong Traveller flavor, but you can't really tell from the weak official game site:
Freelancer web site

Good thing I'm upgrading my computer soon...

Dave
Old February 6th, 2003, 11:43 AM
Citizen: SOC-13

womble Citizen
Question

So, is this a MMPORPG? [puzzled]
Old February 6th, 2003, 02:19 PM

Loki Citizen
Taken from the web site: Play missions randomly or follow the storyline. The universe is open for exploration, and the game evolves based on the decisions you make. Or, join with friends and conquer the universe together. Play cooperatively or competitively on player-hosted server worlds.
Old February 9th, 2003, 01:44 PM
Citizen: SOC-5

orion_blastar Citizen
Send a message via AIM to orion_blastar
There is a FarScape game coming out, I always thought that the FarScape show was a bit like Traveller. Starburst instead of a jump drive. The Peacekeepers being like the Imperium, being like the human beings but not exactly like them. http://www.farscapegame.com/

For more info on FarScape:
http://www.farscape.com/
http://www.scifi.com/farscape/

John Crichton is a lot like my characters, wisecracking space explorer trying to learn how to be a warrior and using his head instead of his gun when he can. One of the other players I play the game with is like D'Argo, the warrior type, needs John to get out of trouble sometimes.

Anyway they don't act as one unit, but as individuals who help each other, which is like a bunch of our Traveller games.
Old February 9th, 2003, 07:39 PM

Loki Citizen
Orion_Blaster - Yes the game is out now but it was seriously panned by the reviewers. Not sure what all the negatives were but it is available if you are interested.

The interplay between the actors was what really kept your interest in the TV series and I can see where it would make some interesting material for a Traveller game.
Old March 8th, 2003, 07:08 AM

bromdenlong Citizen
I remember seeing two Traveller computer games for sale in late 1992 or early 1993. Anybody know anything about them? Wish I'd picked them up. (Come to think of it, I think they were MegaTraveller.)

Also, anyone know if the Trader software program is available anywhere?
Old March 8th, 2003, 08:38 AM
Citizen: SOC-13

vutpakdi Citizen
My favorite Traveller like game is Escape Velocity Nova.

In the game, you start out with a little ship (a shuttle craft in the game) and travel between different systems to buy/sell speculative cargos as well as run missions to make money. With money, you can buy bigger ships and equipment (defensive, offensive, maneuver related) for your ship. There are different factions including staid corporate types and plundering pirates.

The main view is a top-down/isometric view of the ships in space. There is very little downside/portside action (really conducted in a dialog).

Current downside is that the game is Mac only, but there is a Windows version coming out soon (the Windows version is currently in beta).

Escape Velocity (the original) and Escape Velocity Nova are both great games. The link to Ambrosia Software and the game's website is:

http://www.ambrosiasw.com/games/evn/

Ron
Old March 8th, 2003, 10:27 AM
Citizen: SOC-6

flyingsquid Citizen
Thumbs down

I tried the Freelancer demo (160 mb, yikes!).
I was really impressed by the way the game handled space combat - both the effects and the interface are nicely done.

But it appears there's no freedom to roleplay or adventure planetside -- all interaction and dialogue at the various popts is pre-scripted, and while the player is allowed to choose his own path and missions, the game still feels linear.
And "Trent" is a really lame attempt at a Han-solo anti-hero -- if there's no way to shut him up, I don't think I could handle an entire game...

I think Microsoft is aiming this one at the younger crowd... but why they chose to target 10-year-olds is beyond me.
Old March 8th, 2003, 04:25 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Elliot Citizen
I always played Command and Conquer skirmish mode games as Striker type missions - not really traveller but I kind of think they give a good flavour as to how a striker game may work.