Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Play By Post > Space Badger's Reaver's Deep

Space Badger's Reaver's Deep SpaceBadger's SBRD game

Closed Thread

Old August 5th, 2014, 01:28 AM
Absent Friends Margrave

Gallery : 0
Visit pendragonman's Blog
pendragonman Citizen+pendragonman Citizen+pendragonman Citizen+

The air raft will be fine. It seems you missed my point about the Falcon. Not every ship actually needs a ship's boat.

"I attest that there is nothing aboard that is not on the manifest presented to you, Sargent. At least not with my knowledge. Since my crew has worked with me for years, I can trust they too have no knowledge of any items not on the manifest. Should you find anything, I shall be as surprised as you."

Honestly, with Broker-4 I shouldn't need to smuggle very often.

3 times elevated Knight of the Iridium Throne, Marquis Djar, Marquis of the Solomani Rim (Fafhrd), Count Uakye, and Count Jana. Duke Ninua of the Imperial Core.
Old August 5th, 2014, 02:26 AM
Peer of the Realm

Gallery : 1
Visit SpaceBadger's Blog
SpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendragonman View Post
The air raft will be fine. It seems you missed my point about the Falcon. Not every ship actually needs a ship's boat.
No, I got your point, and you don't have to take the air/raft; I just wanted to offer you the option. I try to live by the Golden Rule, even in gaming, and if our positions had been reversed I would have liked to have had the air/raft, or at least the option to have it.

Quote:
Honestly, with Broker-4 I shouldn't need to smuggle very often.
Aww, but where's the fun in that? Besides, there are always those "smuggling" situations that are not for personal gain, but to get needed supplies to the valiant rebels against a repressive government, or to bring book-datacards to a world where the government keeps the people uneducated so as to make them easier to control, or... you get the point.

Anyway...

The Sergeant smiles at your apparent cooperation, but you can tell he's heard similar lines before and been disappointed. "Well, let's have a little look-see around the drive room anyway." He takes a small device from his belt and switches it on, then gestures for you to lead the way. Passing through the low berth area, he checks the readouts on each one to see that none are occupied, then pops two open at random to see that they are empty. In the portside drive room, he strolls around the equipment, not rushing but not dawdling either, pointing his hand-held device into corners and running it up and down the outside of a few conduits.

He gestures to the overhead iris-valve and its ladder. "Let's go up and over, shall we?" He again lets you lead the way, then takes his time traversing the upper drive room, turning occasionally to run his device over the wall separating the drive room from the main fuel tanks. "You might be surprised how many people think its a cute idea to build a hidden space into their fuel tanks. Not as surprised as they are that we've seen that trick quite a few times ourselves, though." Climbing down into the starboard drive room, he repeats his examination there. Moving forward, he checks the starboard turret, then strides across the ship to check the port turret.

He doesn't even bother checking any of the crew staterooms, the ship's locker, or the bridge. "Too obvious. Not that I might not check them next time, however." He winks, then gestures to the lift. "Shall we?"

Arriving in the ship's lounge, he confers with his Patrolmen to confirm that they found no problems in anyone's identification, crew certifications, or travel papers. Glancing back at your own documents on his datapad, he nods to Patrolman Kasangugash to print you a clearance card. "I'd suggest you keep that on you while you're here, but we aren't insistent about it like they would be over at Warinir. It is easy enough to check your clearance online."

He pulls up a document on his datapad, attaches a copy of your manifest to it, then signs with a finger-scrawl. He then offers it to you to sign, then flips a copy to your own comp. He offers his right hand to shake, while taking a plasti-card out of his shirt pocket with his left. The card has "Jurin Customs Service" followed by his full name, Sergeant Johann Pyatt, his office compartment number, and a commcode. "If I can be of any service during your visit, please don't hesitate to comm me. That commcode goes to our switchboard, but if you give them my full name," he taps the card as a reminder, "they'll put you through. I trust your discretion not to abuse this with drunk calls in the middle of the night, as I do have friends among the Civil Police, just so you know." Another wink.

Unless you have any questions or further conversation, Sgt Pyatt and his men will leave, telling you that you are cleared to dock, and that you should comm Traffic Control for a flight path and berth assignment.
GM Maxim #2: If the Players have any kind of Ship, deckplans are mandatory. Otherwise, the Players will wander around with vague and contradictory notions of where things are, and Chaos results.

Playing ex-Ranger Frank Masuda in Magnus's Permatic Imperium T5 PbP
Playing Engineer Ank Buchannon in flykiller's Imperial Scout Rescue Service PbP

My Old Stuff (2013-14)
SBRD Campaign Quick Reference
SBRD Campaign Wiki: Reavers' Deep during The Long Night
Old August 5th, 2014, 03:25 PM
Absent Friends Margrave

Rob has yet again made a tool to make our lives easier.

http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Dis...293#post486293

Therein is a link to a tool to calculate travel times between celestial bodies.

3 times elevated Knight of the Iridium Throne, Marquis Djar, Marquis of the Solomani Rim (Fafhrd), Count Uakye, and Count Jana. Duke Ninua of the Imperial Core.
Old August 5th, 2014, 03:35 PM
Absent Friends Margrave

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceBadger View Post
Aww, but where's the fun in that? Besides, there are always those "smuggling" situations that are not for personal gain, but to get needed supplies to the valiant rebels against a repressive government, or to bring book-datacards to a world where the government keeps the people uneducated so as to make them easier to control, or... you get the point.
Hence the "very often". I meant I should have to smuggle to make a profit.

And the search leads me to a two part question: a) where are my smuggling spots and b) how much fits in them?

Quote:
snip...

He pulls up a document on his datapad, attaches a copy of your manifest to it, then signs with a finger-scrawl. He then offers it to you to sign, then flips a copy to your own comp. He offers his right hand to shake, while taking a plasti-card out of his shirt pocket with his left. The card has "Jurin Customs Service" followed by his full name, Sergeant Johann Pyatt, his office compartment number, and a commcode. "If I can be of any service during your visit, please don't hesitate to comm me. That commcode goes to our switchboard, but if you give them my full name," he taps the card as a reminder, "they'll put you through. I trust your discretion not to abuse this with drunk calls in the middle of the night, as I do have friends among the Civil Police, just so you know." Another wink.

Unless you have any questions or further conversation, Sgt Pyatt and his men will leave, telling you that you are cleared to dock, and that you should comm Traffic Control for a flight path and berth assignment.
"Thank you, Sargent. We are new to this port, will we need a customs inspection of outbound cargoes? Can you recommend someone to speak to about a long-term pad rental and small warehouse space?"

Old August 5th, 2014, 04:09 PM
Peer of the Realm

Visit SpaceBadger's Blog
SpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected Citizen

Quote:
And the search leads me to a two part question: a) where are my smuggling spots and b) how much fits in them?
I dunno. When I've had them on a ship, I preferred to leave them sorta unspecified, in the knowledge that I am neither a professional smuggler nor customs inspector, and any idea that I came up with would probably be laughably obvious to someone with that knowledge. I just had the inspector roll to Search, and if anyone in the crew had any Hide skill that was a DM on the search. If you have some places you want to specify, that is fine. Say a total of 4 tons hidden spaces, divided among 6 different spaces? (Subject to change if you have a Better Idea.)

Quote:
"Thank you, Sargent. We are new to this port, will we need a customs inspection of outbound cargoes? Can you recommend someone to speak to about a long-term pad rental and small warehouse space?"
"Well, if you mean trans-shipping these same items, then no. they wouldn't need re-inspection. Any new items being shipped out, yes, they would need inspection before departure. As for pads and warehousing, that would be the Caravanserai Guild at the Downport, or the Stationers' Guild at the Highport. But we don't really expect outsiders to know all that; the info directory will get you the right office in either place."
GM Maxim #2: If the Players have any kind of Ship, deckplans are mandatory. Otherwise, the Players will wander around with vague and contradictory notions of where things are, and Chaos results.

My Old Stuff (2013-14)
Old August 5th, 2014, 04:45 PM
Absent Friends Margrave

I am ok with non-specific smuggling spots. That way they can be of whatever size is required for whatever McGuffin is being hidden. 4 dtons is PLENTY.

Thank the customs team, offer them some cookies, and show them out.

"Ladies and Gentlemen, please take your places for docking at the Jurin High Port."

Return to the bridge:

"Jurin Control, we are cleared by Customs for landing. A vector, please, to a pad at the high port."

Follow landing instructions and land. Assist with passenger disembarkation.

We have been a crew for years. I am sure we have developed an S.O.P. for ports of call:

1) Half the crew remains aboard at all times. One person awake/alert at all times.

2) 1st off is the Captain and Chief Engineer to take care of port fees, cargo purchases and maintenance requirements. Steward remains aboard to oversee replenishment and port janitorial services (when available). Remaining crew oversee cargo unloading and loading.

3) Captain and Cheng return and swap places for 1/2 local day shore leave rotation. Turn and turn again until 2 days before departure.

4) 2 days before departure run down preflight/prejump checklists. Load passengers and final cargo/freight to fill out cargo.

Caveat: Should a crewmember get in trouble ashore. At least the Captain will come to their aid.

Old August 5th, 2014, 05:03 PM
Peer of the Realm

Visit SpaceBadger's Blog

Quote:
"Jurin Control, we are cleared by Customs for landing. A vector, please, to a pad at the high port."
"Bridget, that depends on what you intend to load or unload, and which of your cargo locks you want connected, if any. If passengers only, we can tether your ship and extend a passenger tube to your airlock. If you have cargo or freight, would you prefer to have the docking attachment at your starboard or stern cargo lock?"

My Old Stuff (2013-14)

Last edited by SpaceBadger; August 6th, 2014 at 08:39 AM.. Reason: fixing misplaced [/QUOTE]
Old August 5th, 2014, 05:12 PM
Absent Friends Margrave

Quote:
"Bridget, that depends on what you intend to load or unload, and which of your cargo locks you want connected, if any. If passengers only, we can tether your ship and extend a passenger tube to your airlock. If you have cargo or freight, would you prefer to have the docking attachment at your starboard or stern cargo lock?"
"Both passengers and cargo, and the Starboard hatch will be fine. Thank you, Jurin."

Last edited by SpaceBadger; August 6th, 2014 at 08:40 AM.. Reason: fixing misplaces [/QUOTE] copied from preceding post
Old August 5th, 2014, 05:34 PM
Peer of the Realm

Visit SpaceBadger's Blog

"Both passengers and cargo, and the Starboard hatch will be fine. Thank you, Jurin."[/QUOTE]

Jurin Traffic Control provides a maneuver path to come alongside the dock and position Bridget's starboard cargo lock for latching and sealing into place. Additional braces extend to lock into place at bow and stern to stabilize the ship with respect to the Highport.

"Bridget, I see that you also have a personnel airlock on this side. Would you like us to extend a tube to that airlock, or restrict access to your starboard cargo lock?"

My Old Stuff (2013-14)
Old August 5th, 2014, 07:19 PM
Absent Friends Margrave

Quote:
"Both passengers and cargo, and the Starboard hatch will be fine. Thank you, Jurin."
Jurin Traffic Control provides a maneuver path to come alongside the dock and position Bridget's starboard cargo lock for latching and sealing into place. Additional braces extend to lock into place at bow and stern to stabilize the ship with respect to the Highport.

"Bridget, I see that you also have a personnel airlock on this side. Would you like us to extend a tube to that airlock, or restrict access to your starboard cargo lock?"[/QUOTE]

"A passenger tube would be great, thanks Jurin."

Closed Thread