Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > Sylean Academy of Art and Design

Sylean Academy of Art and Design Computer graphics, physical models, and other artistic projects

Old December 8th, 2010, 09:21 AM
The Adminator

Gallery : 41
Andrew Boulton Citizen

Do we need one without the hole?
Old December 8th, 2010, 02:15 PM
Super Moderator

Gallery : 5
Visit Spinward Scout's Blog
Spinward Scout has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Boulton View Post
I would think it would be harder to paint without it being on a stand. But I'm new at this.

I second the request for better pics. Mine suck.

The turret does seem a bit odd. Maybe if it had guns. Or a flat top for an empty hardpoint.
Old December 8th, 2010, 04:01 PM
Noble

Gallery : 12
Visit far-trader's Blog
far-trader Citizen

Some quick replies...

Quote:
How is the base? Too thick?
Just right imo.

Looking at the pics above, mine seems to have suffered some loss of detail in production, notably the thruster cones. All 5 I have are well defined at the top and bottom but fade away to nothing at the sides

Quote:
Is the hole in the right place?
Yep, seems good. The size is a little large. Easy fit, not too sloppy, nothing a little work won't solve and better than too tight (not knowing how accurate the dimensional resolution will allow I'd say don't change it).

Quote:
I'll probably redo the hull plating, base, and landing gear (could they survive being thinner?) Maybe the turret, too.
I don't think the landing gear could be any thinner. I agree if anything add some strength and detail, like an extra angled strut to each and foot pads. My preference would be for the front one to be angled at about 30deg (like a ramp down towards the nose). I think Scarecrow's type S has excellent landing gears if you're looking for inspiration.

http://www.crowstuff.co.uk/ (click through RPG Stuff at the bottom and then on the Type S image)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinwardpirate View Post
While I appreciate Spinward Scout's efforts, if you have a camera with a macro setting, a clearer picture would be nice.
I do have a macro setting, and did a couple quick test, with not much better results, I'm going to try some different lighting later and see if that helps. If not I'll snag my brother's better camera over Christmas for some shots, I might even have some paint on them by then.

Quote:
It was me suggesting that wasn't it? For the life of me I can't recall why. I know it made brilliant sense at the time but at the moment I'd say no, not needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinward Scout View Post
The turret does seem a bit odd. Maybe if it had guns. Or a flat top for an empty hardpoint.
I think the turret is ok. Maybe a little shorter (or the flat raised square area around it some pics show, making it shorter). Adding guns would probably be too fine a detail.

Original material in this post may be employed for personal non-profit use with the origin noted. Any other use is subject to permission from the author. Contact me through the private message feature of this board.

Fund Rare Bard Rants - Donate your unused rants today!

Musings of an old Trader... (my CotI Travellog) updated - May 3 2012

Last edited by far-trader; December 8th, 2010 at 04:26 PM.. Reason: added link
Old December 8th, 2010, 10:52 PM
Super Moderator

Andrew,

I'm going to put in a request for a Scout with landing gear, but no base. Not sure if you can, but I better ask.

Also, it might be good to have one with enough detail to 'scale-up' (may be something for the future). I think I'm going to try that out at the $25 scale with the next round of updates. (That's if I can figure out how)
Old December 9th, 2010, 09:44 AM
The Adminator

Andrew Boulton Citizen

Dunno if the legs would survive with no base.
Old December 9th, 2010, 03:55 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Dunno if the legs would survive with no base.
I'd be willing to be a guinea pig and try it after Christmas, if you want to work one up. For $5 or so, I think it would be worth a shot.
Old December 10th, 2010, 09:26 AM
The Adminator

Andrew Boulton Citizen

It's now available!
Old December 11th, 2010, 12:52 PM
The Adminator

Andrew Boulton Citizen

I've uploaded a bunch of photos to the gallery.
Old December 12th, 2010, 03:52 AM
Super Moderator

I'll give it a shot after the Holidays.