Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > Sylean Academy of Art and Design

Sylean Academy of Art and Design Computer graphics, physical models, and other artistic projects

Old December 2nd, 2010, 09:34 PM
Super Moderator

Gallery : 5
Visit Spinward Scout's Blog
Spinward Scout has disabled reputation

Got an e-mail yesterday saying my shipment was on it's way. Looks like it's going to show up a lot earlier than I thought.
Old December 2nd, 2010, 09:54 PM
Noble

Gallery : 12
Visit far-trader's Blog
far-trader Citizen

Yep, I got the first e-mail saying it was shipped with the tracking number on Monday, but then today I got another one saying it was delayed, hung up clearing customs. Sounds like an excuse to justify soaking me for a big brokerage fee. I hope not but I've been stung by couriers on this ploy before. I probably should have said to heck with it when they only offered UPS (it's generally a deal breaker for me) but it's done, we'll see.

Original material in this post may be employed for personal non-profit use with the origin noted. Any other use is subject to permission from the author. Contact me through the private message feature of this board.

Fund Rare Bard Rants - Donate your unused rants today!

Musings of an old Trader... (my CotI Travellog) updated - May 3 2012
Old December 2nd, 2010, 09:54 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

Gallery : 23
Visit spinwardpirate's Blog
spinwardpirate Citizen

My dad gave me $50 for my birthday. Maybe I'll spend on it some Shapeways!

My Reenacting and Roleplaying Site
Old December 2nd, 2010, 10:04 PM
Noble

Visit far-trader's Blog
far-trader Citizen

With luck I'll have a review up next week so you can make an informed decision (and depending on that, and I'm just guessing here, there may be an improved v2 available after that if changes are needed)

Unless Spinward Scout beats me to it or you can't wait

Original material in this post may be employed for personal non-profit use with the origin noted. Any other use is subject to permission from the author. Contact me through the private message feature of this board.

Old December 3rd, 2010, 04:21 AM
Super Moderator

Interesting e-mail I got today. Seems Pay Pal had a problem with my order. Funny thing, tho - I didn't use Pay Pal with that address. I won't be responding to that e-mail.

Keep an eye out for scams.
Old December 3rd, 2010, 09:32 AM
The Adminator

Gallery : 41
Andrew Boulton Citizen

Mine have just been delivered

...to my parents' house, which I can't get to 'cos of the snow
Old December 3rd, 2010, 11:45 AM
Noble

Visit far-trader's Blog
far-trader Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinward Scout View Post
Interesting e-mail I got today. Seems Pay Pal had a problem with my order. Funny thing, tho - I didn't use Pay Pal with that address. I won't be responding to that e-mail.

Keep an eye out for scams.
That's a bit disturbing. Always good advice to stay alert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Boulton View Post
Mine have just been delivered

...to my parents' house, which I can't get to 'cos of the snow
Bummer. At least you know they are close...

Last edited by far-trader; December 3rd, 2010 at 12:01 PM..
Old December 3rd, 2010, 04:53 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

Gallery : 23
Visit spinwardpirate's Blog
spinwardpirate Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by far-trader View Post
With luck I'll have a review up next week so you can make an informed decision (and depending on that, and I'm just guessing here, there may be an improved v2 available after that if changes are needed)

Unless Spinward Scout beats me to it or you can't wait
I can wait. I've waited this long, what's a bit longer. Since I'm not actively running a Traveller campaign at the moment (I'm running a GURPS Infinite Worlds game), I don't have a burning need for it yet. But winter to me always signaled a time to play Traveller, so that may change in a few weeks.

My Reenacting and Roleplaying Site
Old December 3rd, 2010, 08:49 PM
Super Moderator

Default Got 'Em!

They're here!

Unfortunately, they are too small for my good camera to focus on. Had to use my cell phone. (crappy resolution pictures below)

But that's ok - I'll throw out a review anyway.

First, I have to say that it's really really cool to hold this in my hand after seeing it in pictures since the late 70's. Thanks Andrew for making it. (And thanks to Marc W. Miller for the original inspiration, of course)

1.) The material they use is very interesting. I ordered the white. Almost sounds like a Poker chip when I drop the one with the base from about a half-inch or so. The pointy edges are a bit sharp to the touch (you could poke someone's eye out with it). A little rough texture all over, but probably holds paint pretty good. I wonder if you can take sandpaper to it.
2.) Seeing it on the Shapeways page didn't do it justice. It looks really cool with the base, too.
3.) There's a slight give to the nose of the Scout - just slightly bendable (I don't want to try too hard and break it). I could see that breaking off with a book or something falling on it. Other than that, the material is solid. And very lightweight.
4.) Hull lines stand out as well as the line around the nose and the cockpit window area. There are fore to aft lines between two of the bottom hull lines. EDIT: those are where the landing gear and the stand hole are on the other models.
5.) Turret doesn't have any real detail. Maybe a slight line around the bottom of the hemisphere.
6.) Doors and thrusters on the back stand out nice.
7.) There's some machining marks on the left and right aft where the hull bends forward and all the way to the edge. Vertical grooves in the plastic.
8.) I'll bet you could throw a lot more detail on this. The material looks like it would let it show with a good paint job.
9.) I don't have a stand so I can't test that part out. I'll probably pick one up this weekend.
10.) It's almost an inch and a half long - the length of 2 pennies (sorry, I don't have any foreign currency to compare)

Suggestions:

Would you want to change the landing gear? They seem a bit like posts more than struts. I can throw a couple of pics of the ones I like your way.

More detail.

Last edited by Spinward Scout; December 3rd, 2010 at 09:11 PM..
Old December 3rd, 2010, 09:19 PM
Noble

Visit far-trader's Blog
far-trader Citizen

Now I'm doubly jealous

Mine are in Winnipeg (clearing customs), after some weird routing through the US and an apparent split of the package, or a time warp, or a misjump...

...but being the weekend they won't be here until next week now

I suppose that means I could do "something" productive this weekend... nah

BTW Andrew, saw your weather on the news tonight, sounds pretty bad, not Canadian Prairies Winter bad but when you're not used to it, and your infrastructure sounds not quite prepared for it, that's gonna be a problem fer sure. Stay warm and don't overdo the shoveling out.