Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > Sylean Academy of Art and Design

Sylean Academy of Art and Design Computer graphics, physical models, and other artistic projects

Old November 19th, 2010, 01:45 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 3
HG_B Citizen+HG_B Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramis View Post
It's not like Andrew used the Canon design, either. The proportions are wrong for the type S as shown in CT and MT, and the doors wrong for T20...
"If it's recognisable, don't."

LOL
Old November 19th, 2010, 04:45 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

Gallery : 41
Patron Zero Citizen++Patron Zero Citizen++Patron Zero Citizen++Patron Zero Citizen++
Send a message via Yahoo to Patron Zero

Mind my interests showing but a nice teardrop-shaped center hull with a proportional ring around such might be nice !

(A two piece model would keep the price down a bit.)
Old November 19th, 2010, 11:34 PM
Super Moderator

Gallery : 5
Visit Spinward Scout's Blog
Spinward Scout has disabled reputation

Looks wicked, Andrew!

Setting up my Cart for next week when I have the money. Adding a Salvage Cruiser on to make it over $25 ($ 27.79 is the total).

You're probably looking at about $10 for a model about twice that size, if the one with the landing gear and base is any indication. I wonder how big one that costs around $25 would be.

I hope you realize I'm going to be spending all my money on Traveller models (and painting supplies) now.

Old November 20th, 2010, 12:00 AM
Noble

Gallery : 12
Visit far-trader's Blog
far-trader Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinward Scout View Post
...I wonder how big one that costs around $25 would be.
There's a handy size/price calculator on the site that might give you an idea:

http://www.shapeways.com/blog/archiv...ght-Price.html

Punching in the Scout (landed) at $10 to find scale for $25 gets 1.357 so it'd only be about 136% bigger if I read it right. I think that is 136% more material volume so for a solid model it would equate to the size increase. IF it is material volume and your model was hollow you would get a much bigger model size. IF I understand it correctly.

Original material in this post may be employed for personal non-profit use with the origin noted. Any other use is subject to permission from the author. Contact me through the private message feature of this board.

Fund Rare Bard Rants - Donate your unused rants today!

Musings of an old Trader... (my CotI Travellog) updated - May 3 2012
Old November 20th, 2010, 02:10 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by far-trader View Post
There's a handy size/price calculator on the site that might give you an idea:

http://www.shapeways.com/blog/archiv...ght-Price.html

Punching in the Scout (landed) at $10 to find scale for $25 gets 1.357 so it'd only be about 136% bigger if I read it right. I think that is 136% more material volume so for a solid model it would equate to the size increase. IF it is material volume and your model was hollow you would get a much bigger model size. IF I understand it correctly.
Thanks! Honestly, I'd like to see a larger one with landing gear, but without the base. That was what I was thinking before. I don't know the mechanics of all of this, so I don't know what's doable or what's not.

EDIT: calculated the Scout (plain) for $25 - 1.834. Which would be about a 2 and 3/4 inch long model. For $100 it only brings it up to 4 and a 1/3 inches long. It would be much cheaper hollow, I'm sure.

Last edited by Spinward Scout; November 20th, 2010 at 02:30 AM..
Old November 20th, 2010, 07:21 AM
The Adminator

Andrew Boulton Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by HG_B View Post
Why would I care if it pissed off Marc? I base my decisions on what is legal, not what pisses off a person I don't know and who has never spoken to me.
I don't base how I treat someone on whether on not I've met them.

Marc is very generous with his IP - he lets fans do all kinds of cool stuff, and all he asks in return is that we treat it with respect and get permission first.

A licence to sell Traveller miniatures is worth $$$, so he can't just let everyone start churning out their own.

My scout is a 1-off; if it works well, maybe things will change. For now, please avoid canon ships.
Old November 20th, 2010, 07:27 AM
The Adminator

Andrew Boulton Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinward Scout View Post
Thanks! Honestly, I'd like to see a larger one with landing gear, but without the base.
Me too!
Old November 20th, 2010, 07:54 AM
Citizen: SOC-13

Gallery : 23
Visit spinwardpirate's Blog
spinwardpirate Citizen

Me three. I'd even like to see turret variations too. But hey, I'm such a Traveller ship geek, I'd probably buy any and all of them.

Speaking of being a Traveller minis ship geek... I'm going to go paint one of my old minis right now!

My Reenacting and Roleplaying Site
Old November 24th, 2010, 12:07 AM
Noble

Gallery : 12
Visit far-trader's Blog
far-trader Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Boulton View Post
Did you get all 3 variants? I need to know if the stand-hole is okay, and how sturdy the legs are.
Quote:
Originally Posted by far-trader View Post
Dang it. Sorry, the idea didn't cross my mind or I would have. I wonder if I can amend my order? I'll drop them a note and see if that's doable.
Late update:

Shapeways was on the ball and very helpful. They canceled out my order, issued a coupon, and I was able to redo it. So I should have samples of each for review shortly (depending on speed of overseas post service - hope it goes air). Got an email this morning that they have gone to printing.

Original material in this post may be employed for personal non-profit use with the origin noted. Any other use is subject to permission from the author. Contact me through the private message feature of this board.

Fund Rare Bard Rants - Donate your unused rants today!

Musings of an old Trader... (my CotI Travellog) updated - May 3 2012
Old November 24th, 2010, 01:51 AM
Super Moderator

Just completed my order.

ETA December 9th - allowing for 10 working days.