Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Mongoose Traveller

Mongoose Traveller Discussion forums for the Traveller rules from Mongoose Publishing.

Old August 4th, 2009, 08:48 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 0
Vargas Citizen

The Imperiallines Foreven article suffered from too many conflicting requirements and wound up being designed by committee. It was initially pitched as a short article, because Imperiallines had a limited page count, it was being given away for free by GDW, and the intent was to sketch in "the edges of the canvas" so as not to hamper referees. The idea was to carve out a preserve at a time when everybody and his Vargr was attempting to lay claim to anywhere they could get their hands on. (The operative rule was that if you could get something into print, it was then canon). Ideally the only two worlds which would be mentioned were the ones from the Chamax adventures.

The intent changed when someone insisted on including the two governments; they didn't want to invalidate the work published by someone or other in a relatively obscure magazine or some such. In order to support this material, some potted history was ginned up to support it. Except that because of the limited number of available pages and the lingering shade of a mandate to not hamstring refs, details were minimized and not a lot of effort was put into rationalizing it with the rest of canon.

Personally I thought the idea of Foreven as a ref preserve was great but when I read the final product I was greatly disappointed.
Old August 4th, 2009, 01:11 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

Gallery : 21
BeRKA Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whipsnade View Post
Explain to him why the Avalar Consulate should be part of any Foreven materials he produces.
If Jon Brazer (or any other publisher) asks me, I will give them an answer why I think so.

I will not post anything here, since it will just give you a new reason to attack my answers. I don't have time for any pointless arguing.
Old August 4th, 2009, 01:12 PM

Visit dmccoy1693's Blog
dmccoy1693 Citizen+dmccoy1693 Citizen+

I gotta say, this thread so far is a gold mine of ideas. I'm not committed yet to doing sector details, but if I do, I'll be turning to this thread for ideas. Any other concepts people would like worked in or addressed?

Any other types of products they would like to see?

Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeRKA View Post
If Jon Brazer (or any other publisher) asks me, I will give them an answer why I think so.
Consider me officially asking for your opinion. If you do not want to share in public, send me a pm and we can talk over email.

Dale McCoy, Jr.
Jon Brazer Enterprises

Last edited by dmccoy1693; August 4th, 2009 at 01:15 PM..
Old August 4th, 2009, 02:08 PM
Marquis

Gallery : 9
Visit robject's Blog
robject has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmccoy1693 View Post
"What exactly should I do with it?"
My suggestion is "do what interests you the most", because I think that's most likely to fetch your best effort.

Regarding a specifically Foreven-based effort:
  • If you like developing subsectors best, then pitch a subsector or quadrant resource.
  • If you like designing starships or describing battles, then pitch a fleet resource.
  • If you like developing a few individual worlds and their contents, then pitch a corporate sourcebook (or campaign).
  • If you like aliens, then pitch an alien sourcebook.
Tools Link
Old August 4th, 2009, 02:29 PM

Visit dmccoy1693's Blog
dmccoy1693 Citizen+dmccoy1693 Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by robject View Post
My suggestion is "do what interests you the most", because I think that's most likely to fetch your best effort.

Regarding a specifically Foreven-based effort:
  • If you like developing subsectors best, then pitch a subsector or quadrant resource.
  • If you like designing starships or describing battles, then pitch a fleet resource.
  • If you like developing a few individual worlds and their contents, then pitch a corporate sourcebook (or campaign).
  • If you like aliens, then pitch an alien sourcebook.
That's the problem. I LOVE THEM ALL! I get absolutely rapturous about a setting to play in, I'll send hours thinking about what kind of mission I could use this ship or that ship for, I enjoy thinking of how I can make the next "Blue Sun" corp that makes everything from coffee to genetically enhanced humans, and I become enthralled with delving into an alien culture, coming up with something other than "elves in space." *bleh*

That's why I mentioned those. But what I don't know is if anyone else is interested in those. Hense why I am asking. If no one wants any more ships but instead wants to have a new megacorp to scare their players with, why not give the customer exactly what they want. I'll have fun along the way. Same is true with all the others.

Dale McCoy, Jr.
Jon Brazer Enterprises
Old August 4th, 2009, 03:01 PM

Gallery : 5
Visit Whipsnade's Blog
Whipsnade Citizen+Whipsnade Citizen+Whipsnade Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeRKA View Post

BeRKA,

Well, he's asked you so my job here is done!

Quote:
I will not post anything here, since it will just give you a new reason to attack my answers.
Attack? Or explain logically why they don't work? There's quite a difference between the two.

Quote:
I don't have time for any pointless arguing.
Yeah, you've no time to answer me so you spend time repeatedly answering me to tell me you've no time to answer me. Nice try.

Did you notice that, except for you who has a vested interest in it, not one person here regards the Imperiallines' version of Foreven as workable or even desirable? Put your ego and greed for writing credits aside for a moment and think. Examine the Imperiallines materials and the materials derived from them dispassionately.

We as a Hobby are always grousing about the many problems with the OTU. have a chance to fix actually something here, but we may lose that chance due to a combination of expediency and ego. The Imperiallines' material does not work. You cannot explain how it can work no matter how many handwaves you apply or how hard you spin it. What's more, you're aware of this but cannot bring yourself to admit it because of the materials you've personally derived from Imperiallines, materials that may have a chance of being published.

It's time to do the right thing for Traveller and not just the right thing for you.

Regards,
Bill
Old August 4th, 2009, 03:46 PM
Administrator

Gallery : 53
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

BeRKA: STOP THE TROLLING.

Bill: No poking the trolls.

Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
Knight of Deneb (Spin 2532)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old August 4th, 2009, 04:57 PM

Klaus Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmccoy1693 View Post
That's the problem. I LOVE THEM ALL! I get absolutely rapturous about a setting to play in, I'll send hours thinking about what kind of mission I could use this ship or that ship for, I enjoy thinking of how I can make the next "Blue Sun" corp that makes everything from coffee to genetically enhanced humans, and I become enthralled with delving into an alien culture, coming up with something other than "elves in space." *bleh*

That's why I mentioned those. But what I don't know is if anyone else is interested in those. Hense why I am asking. If no one wants any more ships but instead wants to have a new megacorp to scare their players with, why not give the customer exactly what they want. I'll have fun along the way. Same is true with all the others.
Descriptions of corps and other institutions would be great. Anything of the underwritten aspects of the OTU, or fresh stuff. I think ships and worlds will be quite well serviced by everyone, but what this game really needs is adventures. Even the shortest adventures need all the setting stuff you might want to do, and they include kit and deckplans and what not. An episodic campaign would be a good model for pdf products. Or a book of incidents, encounters and scenes that can be used to slot into a longer running adventure.

One thing Traveller really needs is a "monster manual" - not just critters, tho mostly, but the odd battle bot, genetech animal, and npc cut out.

Jon Brazer's stuff is a great start there, but the more the merrier . Let's have MGT stats for the Chamax, and all other types of crazy.

Anything that a ref can grab when he's stuck to put in the game with near to no prep.

I think really the Foreven license is not about developing a sector, but about allowing third parties to make stuff that feels OTU.
Old August 4th, 2009, 05:12 PM
Marquis

Gallery : 9
Visit robject's Blog
robject has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whipsnade View Post
Did you notice that, except for you who has a vested interest in it, not one person here regards the Imperiallines' version of Foreven as workable or even desirable?
We're not a valid sample, Bill. Don McKinney regards Imperiallines as canonical.
Tools Link
Old August 5th, 2009, 05:07 AM

MongooseMatt Citizen+MongooseMatt Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaus View Post
I think really the Foreven license is not about developing a sector, but about allowing third parties to make stuff that feels OTU.
That is certainly a big part of it. However, as I am always saying, the first publisher to put a Marches-style Foreven book out there will have a big commercial advantage. . .