Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > The Lone Star

The Lone Star Meet, greet and socialize with your fellow Travellers in the Lone Star Lounge. Random Topics.

Old June 6th, 2008, 07:10 PM
Marquis

Gallery : 9
Visit robject's Blog
robject has disabled reputation
Default Who Uses Jump Tapes Anymore?

Longtime collaborator Boomslang recently asked that question, and you know, as of a few months ago I realized that Jump Tapes aren't such a bad idea.

Magnetic media is no good. It gets scrambled.
Digitally-encoded media is no good. It's flimsy.
Holocrystals... well, maybe. We can call them durable and easy and ubiquitous.

But there's something even more durable and easy and ubiquitous, and that's paper tape or film.

A good sheet of laminated paper, filed properly in a insulated safe, can last hundreds of years. And if you really really had to, and your life were depending on it, you might could hand-key the values into a computer. Anyone remember typing in pages and pages of machine code from magazines into your Commodore 64? Complete with checksum... how tiresome. But, if your life depended on it, you could.

It's absurd, I know, but I've really been feeling kind of retro about the whole paper storage thing lately. With a cheap modern printer you can get 1200 dpi on a sheet of paper. Potentially that's a pile of floppy disks on one sheet of paper. Far less than a CD, but great for backing up a large percentage of your data files.

Just a thought to stir up your brains.
Tools Link

Welcome!
To see more of this thread, please login or register.