Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Mongoose Traveller

Mongoose Traveller Discussion forums for the Traveller rules from Mongoose Publishing.

Old February 21st, 2008, 06:16 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 0
Supplement Four Citizen++Supplement Four Citizen++Supplement Four Citizen++Supplement Four Citizen++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morte View Post
I like that they're talking about publishing adventure paths, i.e. sets of adventures within an overall story arc that join up into a seamless campaign.
This may be the first thing about MGT I've heard that I actually like.
Old March 2nd, 2008, 09:25 AM
Citizen: SOC-8

Eisenmann Citizen

I like the updated approach toward character creation. Just last night I turned out a 2 term ground pounder Marine who was captured, beaten and has his jailers as his enemy. He covered for his commander on a botched mission thus gaining the commander as an ally.

I also like the group skill pack. That way the group is never again likely to be caught flat footed when I ask, "Who has mechanics?"

I'll be running a short combat test today but I like what I've read. It doesn't seem complicated at all and feels very tactical.
Old April 17th, 2008, 11:02 AM
Citizen: SOC-7

WhiteWolf Citizen

I will like it when this freaking game finally comes out! I am soooo tired of reading about it.

I have not played Traveller in a long time, and look forward to playing it again and possibly running it.
Old April 21st, 2008, 10:49 AM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallowglacht Citizen

Mongoose have them back from the printers and are sending to stores this week, so not long left.
Old April 21st, 2008, 11:49 AM

casquilho Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallowglacht View Post
Mongoose have them back from the printers and are sending to stores this week, so not long left.
Good, then I can see it and figure out if it is worth the money or not. I grew tired of all the debate/noise.

Daniel
Old April 21st, 2008, 04:29 PM

Gallery : 1
Golan2072 Citizen+Golan2072 Citizen+

I like the following features of MGT:

1) SRD. This means that licensing is easier and more straightforward; this also gives some hope for this edition becoming popular due to being adaptable to multiple settings. It also means that we could legally include some of the official rules in fan or 3rd party publications.

2) Possible popularity, especially among players new to Traveller. Mongoose will, among other things, be advertising this game outside of the current Traveller circles. If MGT will succeed, our community will get new blood.

3) The two bogymen of the playtest drafts - Timing/effect dice and power-point micromanagement - have been removed from the final product due to playtester pressure. These two features had me worried about the playability of the (unmodded) final product. Also, it is reassuring to see that Mongoose has listened to its playtesters, even at the cost of getting rid of two concepts the developers were quite in love with. Hopefully this will mean that MGT would have better quality control (i.e. less errata) than some previous Traveller products, especially T4. If only they could fix the deck-plans in time...
Old April 21st, 2008, 05:21 PM

Zowy Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golan2072 View Post
I like the following features of MGT:

1) SRD. This means that licensing is easier and more straightforward; this also gives some hope for this edition becoming popular due to being adaptable to multiple settings. It also means that we could legally include some of the official rules in fan or 3rd party publications.

2) Possible popularity, especially among players new to Traveller. Mongoose will, among other things, be advertising this game outside of the current Traveller circles. If MGT will succeed, our community will get new blood.

3) The two bogymen of the playtest drafts - Timing/effect dice and power-point micromanagement - have been removed from the final product due to playtester pressure. These two features had me worried about the playability of the (unmodded) final product. Also, it is reassuring to see that Mongoose has listened to its playtesters, even at the cost of getting rid of two concepts the developers were quite in love with. Hopefully this will mean that MGT would have better quality control (i.e. less errata) than some previous Traveller products, especially T4. If only they could fix the deck-plans in time...
Looking at preview #4, they allso droped the crazy 100cr per dTon monthly repairs & Maintenance cost. It is now back down to CT level and baised on the ships construction cost. Hopefully they will have reworked the trade and speculation rules allso, as they are not very well balanced.
Old April 22nd, 2008, 11:13 AM

Maladominus Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morte View Post
I like that they're talking about publishing adventure paths, i.e. sets of adventures within an overall story arc that join up into a seamless campaign. In the past I have joined a few published adventures together, but I had to create more "linking" material than I found in the published adventures. Full blown integrated adventure paths could save an awful lot of work for busy GMs.
Sounds a lot like what Paizo's Pathfinder supplements have done for D&D.

http://paizo.com/pathfinder
Old April 22nd, 2008, 04:35 PM

rust Citizen

Ah, the closer it gets, the better it seems to become, and the more I like it.
If only the publisher of the German edition would hurry up a little more ...
Old April 22nd, 2008, 04:46 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

Visit dmccoy1693's Blog
dmccoy1693 Citizen+dmccoy1693 Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maladominus View Post
Sounds a lot like what Paizo's Pathfinder supplements have done for D&D.

http://paizo.com/pathfinder

Well, yea. That's the popular thing right now with RPGs. Adventure paths. Tell a complete campaign so GMs/Refs/DMs/whatever don't have to do the bulk of the work. All they have to do is customize it for their own group. I'd expect to see them popping up in just about every RPG.

Dale McCoy, Jr.
Jon Brazer Enterprises