Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Play By Post > Space Badger's Reaver's Deep

Space Badger's Reaver's Deep SpaceBadger's SBRD game

Closed Thread

Old August 5th, 2014, 09:52 PM
Peer of the Realm

Gallery : 1
Visit SpaceBadger's Blog
SpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected Citizen

The tube is extended, and Bridget is now locked in place with her starboard side to the Highport, with her cargo lock connected to the port and a her starboard airlock connected by the passenger tube.

[I don't think we discussed freight. Freight that is taken on at a Highport is delivered at a Highport, if there is one. Freight that is taken on at a Downport is delivered at a Downport. Freight usually is accompanied by instructions for delivery, with either a commcode to call for it to be picked up from the ship or else instructions for transfer to storage at the recipient's expense. Either way, the second half of the freight charge is due to be paid on delivery; if the recipient won't be there, it should be in escrow with the port or storage facility.]

[In this case, both lots of freight were taken on at Nyamar Highport.]

Playing Engineer Ank Buchannon in flykiller's Imperial Scout Rescue Service PbP

My Old Stuff (2013-14)
SBRD Campaign Quick Reference
SBRD Campaign Wiki: Reavers' Deep during The Long Night
Old August 5th, 2014, 10:03 PM
Absent Friends Margrave

Gallery : 0
Visit pendragonman's Blog
pendragonman Citizen+pendragonman Citizen+pendragonman Citizen+

Ok, good to know.

Disembark passengers, unload freight and cargo (receive payments).

Check in with the desk and pay fees. Help Mano with dis-assembly of the broken part. Start the shore leave rotation.

Day 3 I will check for cargoes. By then maybe I will know my route.

3 times elevated Knight of the Iridium Throne, Marquis Djar, Marquis of the Solomani Rim (Fafhrd), Count Uakye, and Count Jana. Duke Ninua of the Imperial Core.
Old August 5th, 2014, 11:01 PM
Peer of the Realm

Visit SpaceBadger's Blog
SpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected Citizen

The Jinru family waves goodbye as they leave, and asks that any of the crew feel free to contact them if back on Jurin sometime.

One of the 15-ton freight lots had instructions for storage; the storage people come and take delivery and pay the remaining balance (Cr9000).

The other 15-ton freight lot had a commcode to call for pickup. When you call, the guy answers as Nedrik Turovik (same name as the recipient on the shipping documents), but says that he is actually down on planet now, and asks if the freight could be delivered to the Downport to save him the expense of trans-shipping by shuttle. He offers Cr3000 if you'll deliver the freight to the Downport.

EDIT: new text added below:
A transport service shows up with crawlers to unload the 8 dTons of Luxury Consumables, presenting authorization from the buyer (Ilysyn Fine Dining & Supply) and a draft for Cr176K on the buyer's account at the Highport Banking Guild. No problems unloading; your crew uses the ship's internal handling equipment (system of hoists and ceiling-mounted trolleys) to move the containers to the cargo lock, at which point the transport people take over with loading the containers aboard their crawlers to carry to storage warehouse.

The buyer shows up in person to receive the 2 dTons of Luxury Goods. Emory Amberson is a somewhat flamboyant individual (think stereotypical California wheeler-dealer; open-neck shirt with gold and platinum chains showing); he arrives on a powered unicycle, zipping perilously among the few pedestrians walking the docks, then screeching to a halt at Bridget's cargo lock. While your crew is moving the cargo containers to dockside, Barton opens his fanny-pack and takes out a wad of currency, from which he carefully peels off 46 Cr10,000 bills to pay the purchase price for the goods. He then has his own pair of shiny anthroform bots pick up each 1/4 dTon container and load them into the back of his cargo crawler. He signs the receipt on Lefty's datapad, receives a copy for his own records, and asks that you comm him when free to meet and discuss possible deals for mutual financial gain. Unless you have further conversation with him, he then zips away down the docks, through the bulkhead door and into the next dock section, followed by his more sedately moving cargo crawler.

My Old Stuff (2013-14)

Last edited by SpaceBadger; August 6th, 2014 at 09:52 AM.. Reason: noticed you had already unloaded sold cargo, wrote addition for that
Old August 5th, 2014, 11:29 PM
Absent Friends Margrave

Before the Jinru get too far, find out if they need to go down to the surface. If they do, offer them a free lift down. Save them the shuttle fees.

Tell Turovik 3k will be fine. Recall the crew, tell them we need the lowport, a couple of hours and back to shore leave.

"Jurin Control, it seems I need a low port pad. Please authorize the docking change."

[N.B. It is starting to feel like you are throwing these changes at me to make me look/feel foolish. I hope that is not the case.]

3 times elevated Knight of the Iridium Throne, Marquis Djar, Marquis of the Solomani Rim (Fafhrd), Count Uakye, and Count Jana. Duke Ninua of the Imperial Core.

Last edited by pendragonman; August 5th, 2014 at 11:40 PM..
Old August 6th, 2014, 09:07 AM
Peer of the Realm

Visit SpaceBadger's Blog

[Note: New text added to post #43 above as I noticed you had already disposed of sold cargo.]

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendragonman View Post
Before the Jinru get too far, find out if they need to go down to the surface. If they do, offer them a free lift down. Save them the shuttle fees.
The family is very thankful and excited at your kind offer. The younger children, Gen (12) and Misha (9) are somewhat annoyed at missing their chance to see the wonders of the Highport, but the older family members appreciate the savings in shuttle fees and are very grateful.

Quote:
Tell Turovik 3k will be fine. Recall the crew, tell them we need the lowport, a couple of hours and back to shore leave.
None of the crew has even left the ship yet, so this is no problem.

Quote:
"Jurin Control, it seems I need a low port pad. Please authorize the docking change."
"Bridget, will you be returning here to the Highport after your trip Down Below? We can hold this docking bay for you; as you may have noticed, current shipping is somewhat less than our design capacity. You'll save some on docking charges if we do it that way, if that fits with your plans."

Quote:
[N.B. It is starting to feel like you are throwing these changes at me to make me look/feel foolish. I hope that is not the case.]
No, I would never do that, and I'm sorry if you have gotten that feeling. It is just that sometimes the Player may write a bit zooming on ahead of where the GM had some other bit planned, either by random-rolling or plotting or just trying to add some color to the universe. Or it may be that the Player and GM are seeing the world in slightly different ways due to different prior gaming experiences, and the GM wants to show "this is how it works IMTU".

Usually, the first time a Player (or Player Group) experience something routine in my universe, I try to take them through it step by step and with some detail, just in case my interpretation is different from what they have seen before. To me, this is part of what makes a universe seem real and not just a bunch of different locations for rolling dice. Later, the same routine steps may be somewhat blurred over, unless there is a reason for some change of detail.

If the routine is different at a different world, you get more detail again; this is part of what makes different worlds different, and not just a cookie-cutter of every other world you've ever visited (if you've read any of my SBRD game, note the difference in customs procedure between Devonia and Nexus; this was part of what I used to clue the Players that these worlds had very different approaches to Law Level and attitude of government toward civilians).

Also, in a semi-sandbox game such as you wanted, I as GM will have occasional hooks that may lead to something more, depending on whether the Player chooses to follow up or not. To go behind the curtain a bit, I had nothing more planned for the Jinru family, but now your kindness and consideration has forged a stronger link, so they may turn up again in some way. The request for delivery of freight to the Downport was planned, both as an opportunity for you to see the Downport and a chance to meet the freight recipient, who may have deals that could lead to further adventure. BUT, notice that it was set up to give you the choice to follow through or not; all you had to do was tell Turovik that you were making delivery at the Highport as legally required, and decline his offer of the extra Cr3K for Downport delivery, and that bud would have been nipped. I try never to railroad in this type of campaign, only throw out options for the Player to follow or not as he chooses.

I will make some extra effort to "telegraph" such things a bit ahead if possible to avoid your feeling of having to rewind; you might also try not to streamline and write too far ahead, at least as we get started and you get familiar with how things work in my game.

(Last Note: Surely you've had similar experiences at the gaming table. Player: "We load up our stuff and leave Dullsville and go to Brighton." GM: "Actually, as you approach the town gate to leave Dullsville you see that the guards are checking everyone's travel permits. You know there is currently a warrant out for you in Dullsville. What do you want to do now?" The GM is not intentionally messing with the Players or trying to make them look foolish, just has other things in the game world that the Players cannot bypass by writing a simplified travel plan.)

My Old Stuff (2013-14)

Last edited by SpaceBadger; August 6th, 2014 at 09:59 AM.. Reason: noticed you had already unloaded cargo, rewrote to fit
Old August 6th, 2014, 11:24 AM
Absent Friends Margrave

"Thank you Jurin Control. Yes, we will be returning to the High Port. Thank you for the consideration.

Seeing their disappointment, tell the kids:

"Well, maybe if it's ok with Mum, AND if you can stay strapped into your seats, you can watch the drop to the Low Port from the Bridge. Not the same as seeing the Glory that is the High Port buuuut..."

Drop to the low port. Meet Turovik and get him his goods.

"Mano, is that part at the High Port or on the planet surface? We will be on the surface for a few hours and can save the shuttle costs.

Old August 6th, 2014, 03:23 PM
Peer of the Realm

Visit SpaceBadger's Blog

[A few more choices for you to make about Bridget:

She could be constructed at base TL of 10 or 11 (12 is reserved primarily for military ships). Repairs and parts may be easier to find at TL 10 (more common in the Deep), but TL 11 would be more reliable and have some items of higher TL that work better. Which would you prefer?

Turrets: Most turrets of this TL range provide for a gunner's station built into the turret itself. However, at TL 10+, you also have the option of remote operation, from a bridge workstation for example. Your preference?

As depicted on MgT Core p.117, this version of the A2 has four workstations right on the bridge, meaning your whole crew could get most of their work done all in one cozy little compartment. Of course, there is also an engineering workstation in each of the main drive rooms, port and starboard. Where would you say your engineer's main duty station is? What about other crew?

Quote:
"Thank you Jurin Control. Yes, we will be returning to the High Port. Thank you for the consideration.
"We'll be happy to see you back, Captain. We'll hold your current berth for you; no charge while you're gone, and no docking fee when you get back, only the standard Cr100/day. Just give us a call when you're clearing Jurin Atmospheric Control Zone, and we'll give you a clear flight path back to the dock."

Quote:
Seeing their disappointment, tell the kids:

"Well, maybe if it's ok with Mum, AND if you can stay strapped into your seats, you can watch the drop to the Low Port from the Bridge. Not the same as seeing the Glory that is the High Port buuuut..."
The kids are quite excited by this prospect. The bridge workstation seats all have some ability to move in tracks near their stations, then lock in place. Assuming none of the children are qualified as pilots, and that you don't require any other crew on the bridge for this maneuver, you have seats for three kids. You could also let other family members into the Captain's stateroom or into the two forward-facing passenger staterooms, all of which should have a good view.

Quote:
Drop to the low port. Meet Turovik and get him his goods.

"Mano, is that part at the High Port or on the planet surface? We will be on the surface for a few hours and can save the shuttle costs.
"That flow regulator, Cap'n? The one I wanted to look at is on the Highport, cuz I didn't know we'd be hitting dirt here. I can run some directory searches for the Downport now, see if I can find one that looks better or cheaper. I'll get right on that."

As you unlock Bridget from the Highport and follow the indicated flight path inward toward Jurin itself, you are handed off to Jurin Atmospheric Control. The voice you hear sounds like a rather elderly lady: "Bridget, welcome to Jurin. If you'll keep a few ground rules in mind, we'll all get along just fine. Most of our land area is inhabited, especially in the tropical zones, and you'll note that our Downport is just off the equator. We also have activities going on out at sea in most areas. For these reasons, we require active Pilot control at all times within our atmospheric control zone, and treat every surface area as potentially a populated area."

"The most significant rule for you, if you are just visiting our Downport, is that we request that you match velocities outside of atmosphere and make a quiet, controlled, descent; no fiery entries with low altitude gravitic dumps, please. Then, if you choose to travel anywhere other than the Downport, get yourself a channel to the appropriate Guild officer for a controlled flight plan."

"Here are the parameters for your descent to the Downport [data dump of parameters]. Do you have any questions?"

My Old Stuff (2013-14)
Old August 6th, 2014, 05:09 PM
Absent Friends Margrave

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceBadger View Post
[A few more choices for you to make about Bridget:

She could be constructed at base TL of 10 or 11 (12 is reserved primarily for military ships). Repairs and parts may be easier to find at TL 10 (more common in the Deep), but TL 11 would be more reliable and have some items of higher TL that work better. Which would you prefer?

Turrets: Most turrets of this TL range provide for a gunner's station built into the turret itself. However, at TL 10+, you also have the option of remote operation, from a bridge workstation for example. Your preference?

As depicted on MgT Core p.117, this version of the A2 has four workstations right on the bridge, meaning your whole crew could get most of their work done all in one cozy little compartment. Of course, there is also an engineering workstation in each of the main drive rooms, port and starboard. Where would you say your engineer's main duty station is? What about other crew?
Well, we know she is already 20 years old, so lets go with TL-A. At that TL we can have everything we currently show as equipment, and could have a Model 2 Computer. If it is not too late, I would like to make this upgrade. Otherwise, I will do it later. We also need gunner interact program.

We will have the standard gunner positions on the bridge, keeping the gunner seats in the turrets as back-up. That will allow me to control targeting a bit better, and push comes to shove I can fire both turrets at one target from my spot.

While we will keep the engineering station on the bridge for regular watch location; during departure/arrival, entry/exit from jump (Jump Room), and all atmospheric flight the engineer will be in the Maneuver Room /Jump Room. Watch keeping will be a bridge watch.

Quote:
The kids are quite excited by this prospect. The bridge workstation seats all have some ability to move in tracks near their stations, then lock in place. Assuming none of the children are qualified as pilots, and that you don't require any other crew on the bridge for this maneuver, you have seats for three kids. You could also let other family members into the Captain's stateroom or into the two forward-facing passenger staterooms, all of which should have a good view.
Well, the engineering station is free as the engineer will be in the Man. Room for atmospheric flight. Have the parents ride it out in my cabin with the backup engineer and the steward will be on the bridge with the kids making sure they are safe/behaving.

Quote:
"That flow regulator, Cap'n? The one I wanted to look at is on the Highport, cuz I didn't know we'd be hitting dirt here. I can run some directory searches for the Downport now, see if I can find one that looks better or cheaper. I'll get right on that."

As you unlock Bridget from the Highport and follow the indicated flight path inward toward Jurin itself, you are handed off to Jurin Atmospheric Control. The voice you hear sounds like a rather elderly lady: "Bridget, welcome to Jurin. If you'll keep a few ground rules in mind, we'll all get along just fine. Most of our land area is inhabited, especially in the tropical zones, and you'll note that our Downport is just off the equator. We also have activities going on out at sea in most areas. For these reasons, we require active Pilot control at all times within our atmospheric control zone, and treat every surface area as potentially a populated area."

"The most significant rule for you, if you are just visiting our Downport, is that we request that you match velocities outside of atmosphere and make a quiet, controlled, descent; no fiery entries with low altitude gravitic dumps, please. Then, if you choose to travel anywhere other than the Downport, get yourself a channel to the appropriate Guild officer for a controlled flight plan."

"Here are the parameters for your descent to the Downport [data dump of parameters]. Do you have any questions?"

"No questions, Jurin, thank you. We will be visiting for at most six hours. No worries about that meteor descent, we sure aren't a sporty ship.

Follow the nice lady's instructions and head to the downport for landing.

Upon landing again say goodbye to the family and contact that Turovik fella. May as well as check the available cargoes while we are down.

Old August 7th, 2014, 03:03 AM
Peer of the Realm

Visit SpaceBadger's Blog

Jurin Downport is on a large and fairly well-settled island near the planetary equator. The island is marked on your display as Yisvillis Land, a mixture of Vilani and Terran nomenclature. It is only about 100 km wide, but over 800 km long. Local time at the Downport matches station time at the Highport, either a coincidence or... no, your sensor records from your time so far in system show that the Highport apparently uses station-keeping M-drives to artificially maintain a relatively low orbit directly above the Downport.

Since it is local afternoon, you can't see any city lights, but your practiced eye detects signs of civilization all over the island. As you approach the Downport, it looks... odd, in some way. As if the main port buildings and nearby pads were freshly drawn with sharp markers and colors, but the areas further out were grayer, smudged, muddy-looking. As you get closer, you see that this is a result of wear and poor maintenance; apparently the greater portion of the Downport, away from the main buildings, has not seen much use for a long time, perhaps centuries. There is brush and even trees growing from cracks in the concrete, and some of the roofs appear open to the weather.

Fortunately, the pad to which you have been directed is in the cleaner area nearer the main buildings. "Bridget, this is Jurin Downport, we have you cleared for Pad 3-B per handoff from Jurin Atmospheric Control, and your approach looks 100%. We have hangar space to accommodate your size craft; do you want space assigned, or just the landing pad?" Pad 3-B's perimeter markers are flashing a coded sequence in IR light, which your sensors interpret and illuminate this on your holo-screen as your assigned pad.

My Old Stuff (2013-14)
Old August 7th, 2014, 02:50 PM
Absent Friends Margrave

Quote:
Jurin Downport is on a large and fairly well-settled island near the planetary equator. The island is marked on your display as Yisvillis Land, a mixture of Vilani and Terran nomenclature. It is only about 100 km wide, but over 800 km long. Local time at the Downport matches station time at the Highport, either a coincidence or... no, your sensor records from your time so far in system show that the Highport apparently uses station-keeping M-drives to artificially maintain a relatively low orbit directly above the Downport.

Since it is local afternoon, you can't see any city lights, but your practiced eye detects signs of civilization all over the island. As you approach the Downport, it looks... odd, in some way. As if the main port buildings and nearby pads were freshly drawn with sharp markers and colors, but the areas further out were grayer, smudged, muddy-looking. As you get closer, you see that this is a result of wear and poor maintenance; apparently the greater portion of the Downport, away from the main buildings, has not seen much use for a long time, perhaps centuries. There is brush and even trees growing from cracks in the concrete, and some of the roofs appear open to the weather.

Fortunately, the pad to which you have been directed is in the cleaner area nearer the main buildings. "Bridget, this is Jurin Downport, we have you cleared for Pad 3-B per handoff from Jurin Atmospheric Control, and your approach looks 100%. We have hangar space to accommodate your size craft; do you want space assigned, or just the landing pad?" Pad 3-B's perimeter markers are flashing a coded sequence in IR light, which your sensors interpret and illuminate this on your holo-screen as your assigned pad.

"Jurin Down we are only going to be here a few hours, so the exterior pad is fine, thank you. Could you patch me through to Market Control? I'd like to see what's available for export."

Closed Thread