Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > The Lone Star

The Lone Star Meet, greet and socialize with your fellow Travellers in the Lone Star Lounge. Random Topics.

Old July 30th, 2001, 07:14 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 0
TJP Citizen
Um, I forgot the real reply from my previous post. Getting senile, I quess.

To Maud'dib (or Muad'dib or Paul Atreides): I strongly recommend you check MegaTraveller again if only you can find a copy somewhere. The task system in it is excellent, very "light" (i.e. easy to use and learn plus fast) and adaptable. The combat system is OK (needs a little tweaking, perhaps) and character generation follows Classic Traveller's style.

I've been using MT since it's release, I've made a few modifications and patches to it, but the system is essentially the same. In these almost 15 years since I got MT I still haven't seen a task/skill resolution system to beat it.
Old July 31st, 2001, 07:35 AM
Citizen: SOC-10

jalberti Citizen
Thumbs up

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TJP:
I strongly recommend you check MegaTraveller again if only you can find a copy somewhere. The task system in it is excellent, very "light" (i.e. easy to use and learn plus fast) and adaptable. The combat system is OK (needs a little tweaking, perhaps) and character generation follows Classic Traveller's style.

I've been using MT since it's release, I've made a few modifications and patches to it, but the system is essentially the same. In these almost 15 years since I got MT I still haven't seen a task/skill resolution system to beat it.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree. I have stuck with MT as well. I own other versions of Traveller, but for my gaming find MT the most playable and fun RPG system. This is not saying the others are not good, but I favor MT. It deserves a second look.

Old August 7th, 2001, 10:50 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Murph Citizen
I find that Classic Traveller plus books 4,5,6,7,& 8 with the Megatraveller task system added is pretty close to a perfect system. Although I tend these days to using Cyberpunk 2020 for character gen, and combat.
Old August 7th, 2001, 01:57 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 3
GypsyComet Citizen++GypsyComet Citizen++GypsyComet Citizen++GypsyComet Citizen++
Nah. Chuck Book 8 and go back to the JTAS 1-4 articles for Robots. MUCH better edited and internally consistent.
Old August 7th, 2001, 02:53 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

T. Foster Citizen
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TJP:
Um, I forgot the real reply from my previous post. Getting senile, I quess.

To Maud'dib (or Muad'dib or Paul Atreides): I strongly recommend you check MegaTraveller again if only you can find a copy somewhere. The task system in it is excellent, very "light" (i.e. easy to use and learn plus fast) and adaptable. The combat system is OK (needs a little tweaking, perhaps) and character generation follows Classic Traveller's style.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree that MT is overall the best Traveller rulesystem to date, but I'd be very wary of recommending it to someone just starting out who has little to no previous familiarity with Traveller and no friendly vets nearby to answer questions and explain/clarify things.

For one thing, the MT rulebooks are terribly edited and organized, with very few clear and meaningful examples. To a CT vet making the upgrade who already knows how everything works this isn't that much of a problem (barring the errata), but for a newbie encountering Traveller for the first time, trying to understand the MT rulebooks can become a nightmare of confusion and frustration.

Another drawback is that MT, by replacing all of the core Book 1-3 systems with the more complicated 'advanced' systems which came later, sets the bar of complexity awfully high for beginners. CT's simple-baseline-with-optional-complexity modular system is very beginner-friendly -- a ref can mix and match simple versus complex versions as he chooses -- and MT loses this for the sake of cleanness, consistency, and completeness.

Yes, the MT task system is head and shoulders above any other version, and if you're playing CT with ALL of the advanced options in place (Books 4-7, Striker, AHL, Citizens, etc.) then MT's integration and regularizing of these options into the core system is a big plus, but I still feel that MT as it currently exists (barring some MT-revision-as-T^5 pie in the sky) is mainly fit for CT vets and 'advanced' players, and that beginners should stick with CT, at least to start with.
Old August 9th, 2001, 03:40 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

TJP Citizen
Yeah, T. Foster has a point there. MT is not the best of systems for a complete newbie to roleplaying. There are precious little examples of rules and, at least for a person not fluent in English (me), it gets difficult to follow at times. Oh, and don't forget to get the errata.

However, I understood that Maud'dib was not that green and had previous knowledge of Traveller (having owned MT and T4). With that in mind, I just wanted to give my two cents worth to this list of recommendations for a Traveller version to use.
Old August 10th, 2001, 02:05 AM
Count

Gallery : 5
Visit Spinward Scout's Blog
Spinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout Awesome
Muad'Dib,

I hope this meets with your approval.

Long Live The Fighters! Long Live Muad'Dib!

Scout

&lt;&lt;&lt;BEGIN PRECIS OF PRODUCT GENEOLOGY OF THE CREATION TRAVELLER BY DUKE MARC OF HOUSE MILLER&gt;&gt;&gt;
The original Traveller product of House Miller is very high quality, very useable, and has been reproduced recently from the original content - possibly available locally. A second House Miller product has been very profitable throughout the Imperium - but not as popular with some. The low-quality copy created by the Guild of GDW is to be avoided. When House Miller reaquired the Traveller product, a new "improved" product was created, but was not as highly recieved as the original. The Traveller products of House GURPS also have a very high quality, and much alternate background support. It is also very amenable to permutation and immersion into other House GURPS products, but may be complex to the point of non-use - more data is needed. Recent codings have identified a product to be released soon - we are currently unaware of it's quality or useablility. Although similar products are very highly welcomed once used. Spies have identified it's code name as T20. Rumors persist of a future product that would bring all of the good qualities together, but leave the unwanted qualities out. We await this product with anticipation.
&lt;&lt;&lt;END PRECIS&gt;&gt;&gt;