Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Classic Traveller

Classic Traveller Discussion on the granddaddy of them all, Classic Traveller!

Old February 27th, 2007, 02:35 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 0
Supplement Four Citizen++Supplement Four Citizen++Supplement Four Citizen++Supplement Four Citizen++
I'm writing this post with Employee 2-4601 in mind.

I was reading a White Dwarf Traveller article by Andy Slack, and something he wrote made me think of opposed rolls.

Typically, we think of opposed rolls in the MegaTraveller sense of the term. We think, "One side rolls, then the other side rolls, and the highest roll wins."

Andy had a good idea. A simple idea. And idea that's really already used in Classic Trav (for instance, with parry DM on Brawling Combat).

Here's my take on handling Opposed Rolls in Classic Traveller. It's a little of what's said in Book 1, mixed with a little of what Mr. Slack said in his article, with a little of my own S4 two cents thrown in...

================================================

Say you're in a situation where an Opposed Roll is called for. Off the top of my head, let's say Alani is tyring to download the database from a computer, but Alani has been dectected by security. Security is attempting to shut Alani out of the database as soon as possible.

First, we're only going to have one roll in our Opposed Roll. Not two, like you'd normally expect (Alani rolls, then Security rolls.)

The party attempting to accomplish something is the party that makes the roll.

The GM picks a number, 2-12, for Alani to roll. The GM can gauge the base difficulty this way. (If he wants, he can use the UGM modifiers, modifying the roll starting at 8+, up or down, based on how hard or easy the GM thinks the roll should be.).

Alani is allowed his Computer skill as a DM. Security is allowed their Computer skill as a penalty DM. The GM may assign other DMs as he sees fit.

That's it. The "opposed" part comes with the adding and subtracting of the two Computer skills.

Maybe the GM thinks it's pretty easy to for Alani to download the data normally. Use the UGM as a guide (Difficulty of 8+, -4 for EASY), the GM states that the roll needed is 4+. Alani can use her Computer-2 skill as a DM.

On the other side of the network, Security is furiously working the panel to shut Alani out. That Security Officer's Computer-3 skill will be used as a penlaty on Alani's throw.

So...

Alani ends up throwing this Opposed Throw:

2D +2 -3 for 4+.

2D -1 for 4+.

---------------

Or, if you want to keep the UGM 8+ total on all of your throws, you can express this same roll as:

2D +2 -3 +4 for 8+

2D +3 for 8+.

That's kind of a long winded post to explain a simple idea.

What I like about it is that you're only throwing one throw...throw it, and keep on playing.

-S4
Old February 27th, 2007, 02:35 AM

Supplement Four Citizen++Supplement Four Citizen++Supplement Four Citizen++Supplement Four Citizen++
I'm writing this post with Employee 2-4601 in mind.

I was reading a White Dwarf Traveller article by Andy Slack, and something he wrote made me think of opposed rolls.

Typically, we think of opposed rolls in the MegaTraveller sense of the term. We think, "One side rolls, then the other side rolls, and the highest roll wins."

Andy had a good idea. A simple idea. And idea that's really already used in Classic Trav (for instance, with parry DM on Brawling Combat).

Here's my take on handling Opposed Rolls in Classic Traveller. It's a little of what's said in Book 1, mixed with a little of what Mr. Slack said in his article, with a little of my own S4 two cents thrown in...

================================================

Say you're in a situation where an Opposed Roll is called for. Off the top of my head, let's say Alani is tyring to download the database from a computer, but Alani has been dectected by security. Security is attempting to shut Alani out of the database as soon as possible.

First, we're only going to have one roll in our Opposed Roll. Not two, like you'd normally expect (Alani rolls, then Security rolls.)

The party attempting to accomplish something is the party that makes the roll.

The GM picks a number, 2-12, for Alani to roll. The GM can gauge the base difficulty this way. (If he wants, he can use the UGM modifiers, modifying the roll starting at 8+, up or down, based on how hard or easy the GM thinks the roll should be.).

Alani is allowed his Computer skill as a DM. Security is allowed their Computer skill as a penalty DM. The GM may assign other DMs as he sees fit.

That's it. The "opposed" part comes with the adding and subtracting of the two Computer skills.

Maybe the GM thinks it's pretty easy to for Alani to download the data normally. Use the UGM as a guide (Difficulty of 8+, -4 for EASY), the GM states that the roll needed is 4+. Alani can use her Computer-2 skill as a DM.

On the other side of the network, Security is furiously working the panel to shut Alani out. That Security Officer's Computer-3 skill will be used as a penlaty on Alani's throw.

So...

Alani ends up throwing this Opposed Throw:

2D +2 -3 for 4+.

2D -1 for 4+.

---------------

Or, if you want to keep the UGM 8+ total on all of your throws, you can express this same roll as:

2D +2 -3 +4 for 8+

2D +3 for 8+.

That's kind of a long winded post to explain a simple idea.

What I like about it is that you're only throwing one throw...throw it, and keep on playing.

-S4
Old February 27th, 2007, 02:44 AM

As I look at my post, I see that the example I note is weighted in Alani's favor.

What do you do if you want to give both sides of the opposed roll a fair chance?

Simple. Use a target of 7+ on the roll, and only allow Skill for DMs.

Two characters are on opposite sides of a hatch. One is attempting to punch in the code to activate the hatch lock. The other is attempting to code the key pad so the hatch will open.

Roll 2D for 7+. Add and Subtract Computer Skill DMs.

That's it.

Even shake on the roll, weighted only by expertise.

-S4
Old February 27th, 2007, 02:44 AM

As I look at my post, I see that the example I note is weighted in Alani's favor.

What do you do if you want to give both sides of the opposed roll a fair chance?

Simple. Use a target of 7+ on the roll, and only allow Skill for DMs.

Two characters are on opposite sides of a hatch. One is attempting to punch in the code to activate the hatch lock. The other is attempting to code the key pad so the hatch will open.

Roll 2D for 7+. Add and Subtract Computer Skill DMs.

That's it.

Even shake on the roll, weighted only by expertise.

-S4
Old February 27th, 2007, 02:50 AM

What if natural ability (stats), and not expertise (skill) is the determining factor of your opposed roll?

Let's say two guys are arm wrestling. Who wins?

Well, we'll base this on STR.

One character in this arm wrestling match has STR-5. The other has STR-10.

The roll is 2D for 7+.

Subtract the two STR scores, then halve them. Drop fractions (so that ability scores must be separated by at least two points to get a DM). That's your DM.

10 - 5 = 5.

5 / 2 = 2.

If the STR-5 character makes this opposed roll, he rolls 2D -2 for 7+.

If the STR-10 character makes this opposed roll, he rolls 2D +2 for 7+.

Simple as that.

-S4
Old February 27th, 2007, 02:50 AM

What if natural ability (stats), and not expertise (skill) is the determining factor of your opposed roll?

Let's say two guys are arm wrestling. Who wins?

Well, we'll base this on STR.

One character in this arm wrestling match has STR-5. The other has STR-10.

The roll is 2D for 7+.

Subtract the two STR scores, then halve them. Drop fractions (so that ability scores must be separated by at least two points to get a DM). That's your DM.

10 - 5 = 5.

5 / 2 = 2.

If the STR-5 character makes this opposed roll, he rolls 2D -2 for 7+.

If the STR-10 character makes this opposed roll, he rolls 2D +2 for 7+.

Simple as that.

-S4
Old February 27th, 2007, 02:58 AM

One last thought on this...

To be strictly fair, the person rolling 7+ has a slight advantage.

Why?

Becuase he will fail on: 2, 3, 4, 5, or 6.

He will succeed on: 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12.

He has more chances to succeed.

Remedy: Use either 7+, or 8+ as the target number on these types of rolls. And, consider that small advantage when determining who will roll.

Back to the arm wrestling example above. I'd give the advantage to the stronger guy.

So, I'd have the stonger guy roll, rolling 2D +2 for 7+.

If the STR-5 guy is the player character, no problem. Let him roll 2D -2 for 8+.

Consider your rulings like that, and you'll keep your opposed rolls fair.

-S4
Old February 27th, 2007, 02:58 AM

One last thought on this...

To be strictly fair, the person rolling 7+ has a slight advantage.

Why?

Becuase he will fail on: 2, 3, 4, 5, or 6.

He will succeed on: 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12.

He has more chances to succeed.

Remedy: Use either 7+, or 8+ as the target number on these types of rolls. And, consider that small advantage when determining who will roll.

Back to the arm wrestling example above. I'd give the advantage to the stronger guy.

So, I'd have the stonger guy roll, rolling 2D +2 for 7+.

If the STR-5 guy is the player character, no problem. Let him roll 2D -2 for 8+.

Consider your rulings like that, and you'll keep your opposed rolls fair.

-S4
Old February 27th, 2007, 06:37 AM

Gallery : 1
Golan2072 Citizen+Golan2072 Citizen+
I like this, with its CT flavor - and i'll add it to the UGM document soon [img]smile.gif[/img]

Stellagama Publishing - Visit our Blog, Den of the Lizard King
Old February 27th, 2007, 06:37 AM

Gallery : 1
Golan2072 Citizen+Golan2072 Citizen+
I like this, with its CT flavor - and i'll add it to the UGM document soon [img]smile.gif[/img]

Stellagama Publishing - Visit our Blog, Den of the Lizard King