Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > The Fleet

The Fleet Ship designs, strategies, and tactics.

Old January 15th, 2010, 01:17 PM
Citizen: SOC-9

Gallery : 0
Frostvarg Citizen
Send a message via MSN to Frostvarg
Default Bullet class transport

This is a 400 tons solomani design. The old Harland and Wulf shipbuilders on Terra designed this as a main cargocarrier between orbit and dirtside. A payload of 250 Tons made it possible for the ship to empty the hull of a Subsidized merchant in one go. It was a popular ship on large spaceports.

four of these ships are aboard the worldbuilder class heavy scoutship. there it has the mission to carry colonyequipment from orbit to dirtside.

Bullet-Class Commercial Transport

General Data
Displacement: 400 tons Hull Armor: 28
Length: 27,5 meters Volume: 5 600 m3
Price: 50,84 MCr Target Size: S
Configuration:Streamlined Box Tech Level: 15
Mass (Loaded/Unloaded): 4 102,95/ 3 975,10

Engineering Data
Power Plant: 265 MW Fusion Power Plant, 1,0 year(s) duration ( 26,5m3 fuel)
Jump Performance: None
G-Rating: 1G HEPlaR (200,0 MW/G) , High-Efficiency CG (40 MW)
G-Turns: 72, 25,0m3 fuel each
Maint: 159

Electronics
Computer: 3xTL-15 Standard (0,6 MW)
Commo: 1xTL-15 10 hex Laser Commo (0,15 MW ,0 Backups)
, 1xTL-15 10 hex Radio Commo (10,00 MW ,0 Backups)
Avionics: Imaging EMS, inertial/gravitational positioning, IGS positioning
Sensors: , 1xTL-15 4 hex AEMS (9,0 MW ,0 Backups)
, 1xTL-15 2 hex PEMS (0,04 MW ,0 Backups)
, 1x5 m Fixed PEMS Antenna
ECM/ECCM:
Controls: Bridge with 2 bridge workstations, 0 normal workstations,

Armament
Offensive:
Defensive:
Master Fire Directors: None

Accommodations
Life Support: Basic Life Support (0,38 MW)
Gravitic Compensation: 6 G. (2,8 MW)
Crew: 2 (1xManeuver, 0xElectronics, 1xEngineer)
Crew Accommodations: 1xSmall Staterooms (0,0005 MW)
Ship's Lockers for 2 crewmembers
, Minimal Galley
Cargo: 3 360 tons of cargo (240 dTons), 10xlarge hatch missiles in magazine
Food Storage:None
Small Craft and Launch Facilities: None
Air Locks: 4

Notes
Total Fuel Tankage: 1 826,5 m3 (130,5 dTons).
Crew requirements are calculated by using 'Original FFS' crew model.
0,2 MW power surplus

Last edited by Frostvarg; January 15th, 2010 at 05:46 PM.. Reason: updated the design with CG lifters
Old January 15th, 2010, 03:00 PM
Marquis

Gallery : 9
Visit robject's Blog
robject has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostvarg View Post
[...] four of these ships are aboard the worldbuilder class heavy scoutship. there it has the mission to carry colonyequipment from orbit to dirtside. [...]
That image alone is worth the entry...
Tools Link
Old January 15th, 2010, 03:19 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 5
Visit Whipsnade's Blog
Whipsnade Citizen+Whipsnade Citizen+Whipsnade Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by robject View Post
That image alone is worth the entry...
Robject,

I'll guess the image you're seeing isn't the one I'm seeing?

A heavy shuttle is undoubtedly useful and this is a very good design, but...

... where is it going to land on a colony world? How is it going to land on a colony world?

There's a current thread on the boards calculating the ground pressures produced by the landing feet of various canonical ships and the types of materials that would then be needed for runways, hardstands, parking aprons, and the like.

This shuttle relies on thrust solely for flight, no contragrav lifters are installed, so where is it going to land? Is the first infrastructure a colony world builds runways, hardstands, and parking aprons suited for a Class A port?

Regards,
Bill
Old January 15th, 2010, 04:05 PM

Frostvarg Citizen

ok, so it probably needs some CG lifters. this is the reason i posted this here. i need the feedback on these designs. since im working on the deckplans for the 175000 tons worldbuilderclass ship i started with its carried craft.

back to the drawingboard then
Old January 15th, 2010, 04:51 PM
Noble

Gallery : 12
Visit far-trader's Blog
far-trader Citizen

Depends, could be made for water landings. If it floats. Any world worth colonizing should have ample open surface water as a feature and it's where you'll want to build that first settlement as well.

For that matter if it's a single use lander it doesn't even need thrusters or a power plant nor fuel if it's a lifting body glider

So my 2Cr for what it's worth, keep the background of the H&W Shuttle but for the purposes of the colony lander have it bought cheap near the end of it's life, the drives, powerplant, and fuel stripped, and used in a single use role to land even more colony supplies.

Er, somethings not adding up. Just looking at the extra cargo capacity gained I notice you have 130.8dtons of fuel, which with 250dtons of cargo is just over 380dtons, out of a total 400dtons of hull. I think the amount of fuel is high if I recall FF&S though if not then you're really over tonnage I suspect. In any case a starport dedicated shuttle wouldn't need that much fuel as it can easily refuel as required.

I'd also question if 1G of HEPLAR is enough for the shuttle role. Larger planets would mean it can't land or take off, at least not without being an airframe and having a long runway, especially landing heavy.

EDIT: p.s. Whoa! 17,500dtons for the Worldbuilder! OK, re my above musings, if the shuttle were single use you'd probably need a few more than the 4 you were going with to land all the gear. Unless a lot of that is colonists and you have actual (smaller) landing craft (suitable for on world and in system transport as well) dedicated to people and special handling gear.

Original material in this post may be employed for personal non-profit use with the origin noted. Any other use is subject to permission from the author. Contact me through the private message feature of this board.

Fund Rare Bard Rants - Donate your unused rants today!

Musings of an old Trader... (my CotI Travellog) updated - May 3 2012

Last edited by far-trader; January 15th, 2010 at 05:32 PM..
Old January 15th, 2010, 05:23 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 5
Visit Whipsnade's Blog
Whipsnade Citizen+Whipsnade Citizen+Whipsnade Citizen+

Quote:
back to the drawingboard then

Frostvarg,

Whoa there Hoss! Don't throw it out so fast.

I noticed something that didn't make it useful for colony missions, but that doesn't mean it isn't useful in other roles. You could have a frontier contragrav version modified from the "flying" version used in the core. On the frontier is carries less cargo but can touchdown on sufficiently firm ground while in the core it uses the long runways and hardstands I wrote about.

Don't throw out the baby or the bath water here. We're just talking about tweaks.

Regards,
Bill

(Edit: Dan's catch will need to be fixed, but that's a tweak.)
Old January 15th, 2010, 05:25 PM

Frostvarg Citizen

single use are out of the question. this ship should be built to ferry cargo from highport to downport and from ships in orbit to port. its role in the worldbuilder class are a secondary use where the designers of the worldbuilder took an existing design and used it aboard there design.

i used an old excellsheet for the design and that shows a volume of 5600 m3 and when im finished i have used 5560 m3 of those. maybe something are wrong in the calculations. maybe i should test the design by doing it by hand from the book.
Old January 15th, 2010, 05:25 PM
Noble

Visit far-trader's Blog
far-trader Citizen

Ditto Bill's sentiments

We aren't so much dictating as suggesting. It's your vision that counts and we're just trying to dot the T's and cross the I's. No wait, that's not right...

Original material in this post may be employed for personal non-profit use with the origin noted. Any other use is subject to permission from the author. Contact me through the private message feature of this board.

Old January 15th, 2010, 05:29 PM
Noble

Visit far-trader's Blog
far-trader Citizen

Quote:

i used an old excellsheet for the design and that shows a volume of 5600 m3 and when im finished i have used 5560 m3 of those. maybe something are wrong in the calculations. maybe i should test the design by doing it by hand from the book.
Could be. I don't recall ever finding a spreadsheet that didn't have some error or house rule that messed up when I compared to hand built. But it's been a while since I did a FF&S design and it could be you have it worked out right. A check wouldn't hurt though so you know you're good on future builds with the spreadsheet.

Old January 15th, 2010, 05:33 PM

Frostvarg Citizen

tweaking is my life so nothing gets thrown out. the draft for my 175 000 tons worldbuildership can be found here http://www.svartmagi.org/traveller/mary.html

but its only in draft mode. i modified a battleshipdesign so much is still not changed.