Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Classic Traveller

Classic Traveller Discussion on the granddaddy of them all, Classic Traveller!

Old March 22nd, 2019, 11:36 AM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 0
Bob Weaver Citizen

I'm not persuaded that Other needs a new lease on life. I think that it has its place in the LBB 1-3 mix of prior careers. Your suggestions for improvement seem to be about giving Other characters more skills on the character sheet. I've written on my blog a few times about this topic; in sum a character doesn't need a laundry list of skills to be interesting and playable. Omer Golan-Joel has also blogged about this topic.

https://ancientfarfuture.blogspot.co...kachevski.html
https://ancientfarfuture.blogspot.co...r-service.html
http://spacecockroach.blogspot.com/2...traveller.html
http://spacecockroach.blogspot.com/2...er-skills.html

If the changes you've suggested work for you and your players, then rock on. What I'm saying is that you haven't established that the Other service is broken and in need of fixing.

Best regards,
Bob W

"As he has ever judged. Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear, nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men. It is a man's part to discern them as much in the Golden Wood as in his own house." Aragon son of Arathorn, Isildur's heir of Gondor.

My Traveller blog
Ancient Faith in the Far Future
Knight of the order of St Ignatius of Antioch
Old March 22nd, 2019, 11:36 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 4
Visit timerover51's Blog
timerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizen

That is interesting about Supplement 1 not following the 1977 Book 1. I will have to look that up and do some thinking. There are a huge number of skills in the Cepheus Engine to play with if that is used.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElI451TxsTg, 3:24 in.
I march to my own set of bagpipes. Caution: This individual thinks that studying logistics is FUN.

They that go down to the sea in ships,
that do business in great waters;
These see the works of the LORD,
and his wonders in the deep.
Old March 22nd, 2019, 01:22 PM

kilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizen
Ya, Others was kind of an unfortunate shortcut- LBB1 basically says you're a service guy, or you are a slimy streetwise civvie doing lord knows what down dark alleys of Startown.

As to expansion of Others skills besides the Patron-derived skill, here's another table I have, the Advanced Services table. I have some S4 skills too.

Advanced Services (INT 8+)
1. Admin
2. Steward
3. Investigation
4. Carousing
5. Recon
6. Tactics

The only questionable one for above might be Tactics, I put it in as colonials or criminal orgs might have to fight.

For the main skill tables, I put some Cepheus skills in, because the human interaction skills are lacking in CT and I think are the most useful to import over. I replaced Forgery with Deception and Bribery with Persuade. I use very broad skill sets, so no Diplomat/Liaison/Advocate, that's all under Persuade. Leader is still separate from Persuade as that is more about social/team dynamics, setting examples, inspiration, etc.
Old March 22nd, 2019, 01:38 PM
Noble

mike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Weaver View Post
I'm not persuaded that Other needs a new lease on life.
Fair enough, thank you for taking the time to leave your comments, it always helps to get Other opinions
Quote:
I think that it has its place in the LBB 1-3 mix of prior careers.
As do I, I have just never had a player choose it - drafted into it yes, but choose it, nope.
Quote:
Your suggestions for improvement seem to be about giving Other characters more skills on the character sheet. I've written on my blog a few times about this topic; in sum a character doesn't need a laundry list of skills to be interesting and playable.
Sorry I have not read your blog, and you misunderstand the intent. It is not a laundry list of skills, it is not-quite parity with Scouts and CotI careers.
I've had players quite happily run 1 term characters with nothing more than referee granted level 0 skills.
Quote:
Omer Golan-Joel has also blogged about this topic.
I haven't read his blog either.
Quote:
If the changes you've suggested work for you and your players, then rock on. What I'm saying is that you haven't established that the Other service is broken and in need of fixing.
In 1001 Characters Scouts are granted 2 skills per term, which becomes the default in 81 CT.
In CotI career generation as presented in SMC all careers that have no commission and promotion get two skills per term.

All I am suggesting is extending the same curtesy to Other for the sake of not quite parity, since they also suffer from no automatic skills at all.

It is also of note that GDW didn't use the Other career as written to generate the sample character in 1001 Characters, and opted to grant them a greater latitude to skill acquisition.

I will continue to grant these options to my group since they like them and it makes it more likely Other will be picked as a first choice career - which prior to these house rules has not occurred in nearly four decades...

Last edited by mike wightman; March 22nd, 2019 at 01:59 PM..
Old April 8th, 2019, 03:42 PM

hdan Citizen
Send a message via Yahoo to hdan

If you're not going to use S4, I'm a big fan of adding "2 skills per term" for Other to help mitigate the fact that it's essentially the "penalty career" at the moment. And I really like the idea of using the Patron table to generate your employer.

I'd suggest that under those circumstances, if you fail to re-enlist in "Other", that means you must roll a new patron or start adventuring.

I suppose as another option, "Other" could become the "non-random service". Thus you can either join a service where you may get a lot of skills but you don't get much choice, or join "Other" and chart your own course, but with fewer skills, no advancement opportunities, etc.

And a final option, use Other as written, but each term give the character a "Dedication roll" with the Experience system. This could take the place of the "commission/promotion" skill check in other services, though you'd have to make two consecutive rolls to hold on to the skill. (I might consider removing that part of the Experience rules for Other characters, since the character isn't adventuring, and potentially has more ability to throw themselves into their hobbies.)
Old April 10th, 2019, 03:14 AM

kilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizen

Another thought on the Patron Others technique-

A lot of those patrons are 'in the Service' personnel. That makes me think those sort of Others are more like support companies various bases and operations would contract for.

So maybe it's extra maintenance people for a base, general services like fueling and cargo for starports, or 'private security' for an operation a service is trying to keep official distance from. A lot of leeway to create some unusual Others backstories other then just the petty crime class.
Old April 10th, 2019, 07:19 AM

RandyB Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilemall View Post
Another thought on the Patron Others technique-

A lot of those patrons are 'in the Service' personnel. That makes me think those sort of Others are more like support companies various bases and operations would contract for.

So maybe it's extra maintenance people for a base, general services like fueling and cargo for starports, or 'private security' for an operation a service is trying to keep official distance from. A lot of leeway to create some unusual Others backstories other then just the petty crime class.
I like the idea of broadening out the options like this.
Old April 10th, 2019, 12:38 PM

Gallery : 3
GypsyComet Citizen++GypsyComet Citizen++GypsyComet Citizen++GypsyComet Citizen++

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdan View Post
If you're not going to use S4...
Thought experiments aside, this decision mystifies me.

"Alright. Where did that Beaker get a cred stick?"
(Website down until further notice)
Old April 10th, 2019, 12:56 PM
Noble

mike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizen

I quite happily use S4 but keep Other as a potential career choice... it allows for a lot of player freedom to make up a backstory for their Other career terms.
Old April 11th, 2019, 03:06 AM

Gallery : 3
GypsyComet Citizen++GypsyComet Citizen++GypsyComet Citizen++GypsyComet Citizen++

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike wightman View Post
I quite happily use S4 but keep Other as a potential career choice.
Other does concentrate those skills you don't normally advertise knowing. Since CT didn't have any other criminal careers in house other than Pirate, Other covers a lot of ground. There are magazine additions to the career list that cover this part of society in more detail (sometimes too much detail), but if you were sticking close to the source, most of those aren't going to get used.

"Alright. Where did that Beaker get a cred stick?"
(Website down until further notice)