Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > MegaTraveller

MegaTraveller Discuss of the MegaTraveller ruleset and the Rebellion Milieu

Old October 25th, 2017, 11:34 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 0
Visit McPerth's Blog
McPerth has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyphen View Post
So this assumes the weapons fire continually for the entire 15 seconds. Not sure how reasonable that is. ;-)
Well, to fire 40 shoots in 6 seconds it must fire nearly continuously (at least as quickly as a MG), and IIRC the diference among blaser and Plaser is precisely this one: the BLaser fires continuously (as a torch, so to say) while the Plaser in bursts (as a flash, to keep the analogy). That's why the Blaser is more precise and the Plaser more powerful...

Quote:
BTW, MT combat rounds are 6 seconds long, not 15 (Player's Handbook, p 67). So it's 40 shots in 6 seconds. The ships laser can fire once during the same time period (although I can't remember where that's from; maybe Striker).
It seems you're not the only one making mixups among various games ... I guess my error in this case comes from AHL. In any case, the relative power (ratio among weapons) does not vary.

Quote:
Well at least that's something. ;-)

My point of view is more from the other side: the play balance side. The side which asks: do you really WANT to have to increase the effect of your ship's armour, or increase its Damage Points so that the potential damage resulting from a 500d6 hit resembles what would have occurred under High Guard, rather than total overkill? Because by increasing armour or Hull Damage points, you also prevent PCs from blasting out the windows in the Annic Nova to effect entry, or other "interesting" effects of weapons aboard in space.
Game balance is nearly irrelevant when you're comparing those different weapons. IMHO that would be as comapring WWII tank and ship guns. Few tanks (if any) could affect a warship, nor whithstand a warship shoot, as the heaviest gun a tank mountes was (IIRC) a 122, roughly equivalent to the 5" guns that were among the smallest the ships used (AA guns excluded).

To compare it with another Traveller version, see that in MgT, to give another example, the conversión factor is 50, so a Blaser that delivers a tiny 1d6 damage for starships, delivers 50d6 against vehicles or personnel

Quote:
That's the range in atmosphere. Can't remember where that's from, either - maybe Striker again. Guess I'll have to go look it up. ;-)
I guess this range would hardly allow for any interface combat with orbiting ships, that in Traveller are quite canon...

I'm not afraid about bullets, what scares me is the speed at which they're incoming.

Last edited by McPerth; December 1st, 2018 at 05:38 AM.. Reason: typos
Old December 1st, 2018, 12:22 AM
Citizen: SOC-1

Arsenal Citizen
Question Re: Cleaned up version of MT

Hi there!

I have been reading here and the Sticky MT Errata thread about sfchbryan's work to produce a cleaned up version of MT. I haven't come across any recent posts about this work. What is the current status? How soon could it be released?

Maybe I'm not asking in the thread?

And thank you scfbryan for your labor.
Old January 5th, 2019, 11:29 PM

Gallery : 4
Visit timerover51's Blog
timerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike wightman View Post
I don't think any Navy ever came up with a dual purpose warhead for its bid guns, or even carried different types of warhead.
Just looking through this, and found this.

The U.S. Navy battleships carried both Armor-Piercing Rounds and High-Capacity rounds for their guns. The U.S. 16 inch High-Capacity round weighed 1900 pounds and carried, if I remember correctly, 153 pounds of Explosive D, actually Ammonium Picrate, considerably less sensitive to impact detonation than TNT and almost as powerful.

The Japanese did make anti-aircraft shells for their large battleship guns, loaded with incendiary tubes, and these were used in firing at attacking U.S. aircraft.

The British had both armor-piercing rounds and high-explosive rounds for their battleship guns, with the 15 inch also having a black-powder filled Common Projectile that was almost as good an armor-piercer at Jutland as the armor-piercing round. For that matter, the British also made a 15 inch shrapnel shell in World War One.

The U.S. Navy did an analysis of the shelling of a Japanese steel factory by several U.S. Navy battleships during World War 2, right at the end, and discovered that the fragments of the 16 inch High-Capacity rounds could weight as much as 10 pounds and were quite capable of wrecking machine tools and penetrating a fair number of walls. Ten pounds of shell fragment would easily penetrate the average ship bulkhead.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElI451TxsTg, 3:24 in.
I march to my own set of bagpipes. Caution: This individual thinks that studying logistics is FUN.

They that go down to the sea in ships,
that do business in great waters;
These see the works of the LORD,
and his wonders in the deep.

Last edited by timerover51; January 5th, 2019 at 11:31 PM.. Reason: Cleaning up the post.
Old January 6th, 2019, 04:15 AM
Noble

mike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizen

Many thanks for finding that, it's never too late to learn new stuff.
Old February 27th, 2019, 05:36 AM
Knight

Visit Blue Ghost's Blog
Blue Ghost has disabled reputation

Thread necromancy.

As per my recently Blog entry, the only real thing I honestly disliked about Mega Traveller was the lack of adventure support.

The thing that kept making me buy LBBs was the fact that every new LBB has something new in it. And the adventures were like buying new novels, only you could interact with them with your friends. Once you take that away, then you trash the support, and the game falls of its lack of will.

The LBBs annoyed me because it was partially a marketing scheme, BUT, each LBB did provide something new for the players to actually play with. The COTI supp, the 76 Patrons supp, later onces like Merchant Prince, Robots, and even the Alien Modules all had something that you could tinker with. And none of them lathered you and the game in excessive background material, which I guess according to Marc Miller's interview is supposedly what people wanted.

The LBBs provided flavor text for the setting in addition to providing either an adventure or a host of new career paths or whatever. But MT had absolutely nothing of the kind, and no I don't include the journals.

Our group put the game down at that point, and didn't look back. Take that for what it's worth.
Old February 27th, 2019, 11:08 AM

Gallery : 12
SanDragon Citizen+SanDragon Citizen+SanDragon Citizen+

Notice: as of 29 February, MT will no longer be supported by GDW.

This campaign will self-destruct in 3... 2... 1...
Old February 27th, 2019, 01:44 PM

Gallery : 1
Visit Carlobrand's Blog
Carlobrand Respected CitizenCarlobrand Respected CitizenCarlobrand Respected CitizenCarlobrand Respected CitizenCarlobrand Respected CitizenCarlobrand Respected Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDragon View Post

So, next year?
Comments made are for the purpose of offering alternative campaign settings for consideration. The writer acknowledges that Traveller is intended to emulate certain common science fiction tropes and that, in the course of emulating those tropes and providing a better playing experience, some liberties must be taken with science. No statement by the writer should be interpreted as constituting a criticism of the game on that basis ... except for that bit about Virus. Dude, really?!
Old February 27th, 2019, 05:27 PM
Knight

Visit Blue Ghost's Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDragon View Post

I don't understand.
Old February 27th, 2019, 11:42 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

Grav_Moped Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ghost View Post
I don't understand.
Two jokes. One is the "Feb 29" (Leap Year day) to make it seem like support for the game will vanish immediately, but is actually describing an "impossible" day which makes it clear it's a joke.

The second is the "next year" because there actually will be a leap day next year.

The underlying joke is that it hasn't been supported in decades anyhow, but that this doesn't matter because it's still perfectly playable if one chooses.
Old February 28th, 2019, 12:16 AM
Knight

Visit Blue Ghost's Blog

Interesting. Thanks.