Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > Contact!

Contact! Submit your favorite original Minor Alien Races for others to use in their own Traveller campaigns.

Old April 29th, 2013, 02:20 PM
Absent Friend

Gallery : 11
rancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizen
Default How do integrated Aslans live?

I've just found out that 3% of the population of Regina are Aslans that live mixed in with the rest of the population[*].
[*] I assume that if they lived in separate enclaves, Regina would have an 'A0' remark in the remark column. If you disagree with that, by all means raise the subject somewhere else, but not in this thread, please.
Aslan writeups have mentioned such population groups, but I don't recall any material about how that actually works. How would the lifestyle of Aslans that were integrated with non-Aslan neighbors differ from the lifestyle of traditional Aslans?

Any ideas? I'm pretty blank myself (Except for "They behave just like their neighbors", which is a notion that I very much do not like).

Hans
Old April 29th, 2013, 04:00 PM
Administrator

Gallery : 56
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

They use money, have tolerance as a background skill, probably live in Ghettos, probably also bilingual. May blunt claws to "comply" with Law Level.

Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
Knight of Deneb (Spin 2532)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old April 29th, 2013, 08:08 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 0
steventirey1985 Citizen

The Classic Traveller Aslan alien module has this to say:

Quote:
Entire planets of Asian (as well as worlds with a mixed—but usually geographically separate—population of humans and Aslan) lie within the Imperium. These Imperial Aslan remain culturally apart from the mainstream of human Imperial society, clinging to most of the traditional values of the Aslan culture. For them, the Emperor is an overlord, to whom the Aslan clans swear fealty, and from whom land is awarded; while such Aslan are full Imperial citizens, serving in the Imperial armed forces, paying taxes, and participating as citizens, they do so as Aslan. Many of the concepts presented here continue to hold true; Aslan, even under the Imperium, can continue to produce the character types shown in this module.
Old April 29th, 2013, 09:37 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 10
Hyphen Citizen+Hyphen Citizen+

Probably no ritual challenges, or maybe only to first blood (kinda like people settling their differences in a sparring match). Maybe blunting claws is going a bit too far - they are civilised, after all, shouldn't be necessary. Other than that I agree with Wil's broad-brush descriptions.

BTW, the "A0" encoding came later than Supp 3 (and I don't have thr RSB with me to cross-check it's notation). I don't think a notation automatically means enclaves or ghettos, BUT I'll make an exception for Aslan. (IMHO, Vsrgr would assimilate more.) Having said that, I think less like "ghettos" and more like "Chinatowns" across Regina; dunno about you, but most of our cities have one - I'm working near Fortitude Valley in Brisbane, which has about 2 blocks worth of a "Chinatown" here. Dual-language street signs, Chinese characters on shops, gold & red everywhere, that sort of thing. Apart fron that, however, Chinese people work and live all across the city - having one recognisable area doesn't mean eveyone lives & works there.

Now we just need a name. "Aslantown" seems a bit dorky; maybe someone else can come up with a better one? ("Clawville" sounds too much like an epithet...)
- Count Zuiar (Dagu 0705)- Starburst for Extreme Heroism - Pursuits at Alell
- Baroness Heidi Maria Heyerdahl, Tavonni (Spin 1520)- MCG - Final Victory at Emerald
- Baron Sii (Dagu 0932)TAS:
- Ritter of Tavonni (Spin 1520)- Bearer (Ley: Silver 0221); Bearer (Lish: Zemud 0212)
Coins:(#170) XO (Lt) FE Holmes, 154th BR Sq
(#222) PlatLdr (LtO2), 3P, ΔTrp (G-Tank), 2B (LI), 4518th(#282) XO (LtO2), ΒCo (J-Trp), 6B (JT), 4518th
Old April 29th, 2013, 09:58 PM
Absent Friend

rancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyphen View Post
BTW, the "A0" encoding came later than Supp 3 (and I don't have thr RSB with me to cross-check it's notation). I don't think a notation automatically means enclaves or ghettos, BUT I'll make an exception for Aslan. (IMHO, Vsrgr would assimilate more.)
My logic goes like this: There are worlds with Vargr populations that have the 'Vx' notation and worlds that I would be very puzzled to learn didn't have Vargr populations that nevertheless do not have the 'Vx' notation. What could possibly be the difference? My answer was that on worlds with the notation the Vargr lived in distinct enclaves whereas on the other kind of world they were integrated in the general population. (I alluded to that distinction in an adventure I wrote set on Extolay.) The same would apply to Aslans, the main difference being that traditional Aslans would be very much inclined to live separate lives on their own accord whereas most Vargr would live apart only if they were forced to do so by their neighbors. So most worlds without an 'Ax' notation would not have enough traditional Aslans to qualify for an 'A0' note (i.e. less than 1% of the population -- quite possibly none apart from a few living near the starport -- would be Aslans). However, the trading card quoted in another thread makes 3% of the population of Regina Aslans. If they were living in separate enclaves, Regina should have an 'A0' note. It doesn't, so they don't. Q.E.D..

Quote:
Having said that, I think less like "ghettos" and more like "Chinatowns" across Regina; dunno about you, but most of our cities have one - I'm working near Fortitude Valley in Brisbane, which has about 2 blocks worth of a "Chinatown" here. Dual-language street signs, Chinese characters on shops, gold & red everywhere, that sort of thing. Apart fron that, however, Chinese people work and live all across the city - having one recognisable area doesn't mean eveyone lives & works there.
Works for me.

Quote:
Now we just need a name. "Aslantown" seems a bit dorky; maybe someone else can come up with a better one? ("Clawville" sounds too much like an epithet...)
Hieratown? Lionville? Furtown? Carniville?

Hans
Old April 30th, 2013, 01:44 AM
Administrator

Gallery : 56
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

chinatown, ghetto... one isca subset of the other.

Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
Knight of Deneb (Spin 2532)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old April 30th, 2013, 10:52 PM

Nathan Brazil Citizen+Nathan Brazil Citizen+

The notation A:n has fallen into disfavor in the map data on travellermap.com. They use Asla(n) or AslaW. Since I have finally loaded their data into my database these are the worlds listed with Aslan populations for 1105. T5 Second Survey. If you disagree with the percentages, contact the canonistas:
Code:
Corridor        	1413	Itasis                   	Asla9	Im
Dagudashaag     	0916	Lauyesyeh                	Asla5	Im
Dagudashaag     	1821	Aiaiyal                  	Asla4	Im
Dagudashaag     	1830	Clan Home                	AslaW	Im
Dagudashaag     	2038	Ya'uiya-ko               	AslaW	Im
Dagudashaag     	2433	Eikhoifiruah             	Asla9	Im
Daibei          	1104	Parasol                  	Asla7	Im
Daibei          	1107	Homer                    	Asla4	Im
Daibei          	1108	Mordor                   	Asla3	Im
Gushemege       	1935	Aisteaya                 	Asla6	Im
Gushemege       	2038	Yolai'                   	Asla4	Im
Gushemege       	2127	Tlauwao                  	Asla3	Im
Gushemege       	2925	Hkeakewoirea'            	Asla4	Im
Gushemege       	2930	Taeahtaho                	Asla7	Im
Gushemege       	3023	Suysu                    	Asla3	Im
Gushemege       	3038	Kieaasu                  	AslaW	Im
Reaver's Deep   	0115	Houndd                   	Asla3	Na
Reaver's Deep   	0318	Wihea                    	AslaW	Na
Reaver's Deep   	0417	Reynolds                 	Asla4	Na
Reaver's Deep   	0426	Phontramus               	Asla2	Na
Reaver's Deep   	0437	Vyjiid                   	Asla2	Na
Reaver's Deep   	0518	Aosewa                   	Asla9	Na
Reaver's Deep   	0519	Auikali                  	AslaW	Na
Reaver's Deep   	0521	Janet                    	Asla0	Na
Reaver's Deep   	0523	Aerin                    	Asla3	Na
Reaver's Deep   	0525	Therad                   	Asla0	Na
Reaver's Deep   	0534	Lyo                      	Asla8	Cs
Reaver's Deep   	0616	Yedidah                  	Asla0	Na
Reaver's Deep   	0626	Thekar                   	Asla0	Na
Reaver's Deep   	0630	Abramo                   	Asla4	Na
Reaver's Deep   	0729	Icarus                   	Asla1	Na
Reaver's Deep   	0733	Khea                     	Asla7	Uh
Reaver's Deep   	0915	Pulou                    	Asla4	Na
Reaver's Deep   	0923	Hrou                     	Asla9	Na
Reaver's Deep   	1014	Palanay                  	Asla3	Na
Reaver's Deep   	1024	Laroaetea                	Asla8	Na
Reaver's Deep   	1125	Earlo                    	Asla7	Na
Reaver's Deep   	1222	Leaa                     	AslaW	Na
Reaver's Deep   	1224	Roakhoi                  	Asla5	Na
Reaver's Deep   	1225	Ea                       	Asla8	Na
Reaver's Deep   	1235	Eakoi                    	AslaW	Na
Reaver's Deep   	1434	Ekaftouh                 	Asla6	Na
Reaver's Deep   	1537	Hihlas                   	Asla9	Na
Reaver's Deep   	1634	Aikhiy                   	Asla4	Na
Reaver's Deep   	1733	Khtearie                 	Asla6	Na
Spinward Marches	0326	Ektron                   	Asla1	Da
Spinward Marches	0425	Engrange                 	Asla1	Da
Spinward Marches	0427	Roget                    	Asla6	Da
Spinward Marches	0627	Darrian                  	Asla0	Da
Spinward Marches	0822	Cunnonic                 	Asla0	Da
Spinward Marches	1938	New Rome                 	Asla3	Im
Spinward Marches	1939	Craw                     	Asla8	Im
Trojan Reach    	2714	Hradus                   	Asla8	Im
Zarushagar      	0934	Union                    	AslaW	Cs
Old April 30th, 2013, 10:56 PM
Absent Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Brazil View Post
The notation A:n has fallen into disfavor in the map data on travellermap.com. They use Asla(n) or AslaW. Since I have finally loaded their data into my database these are the worlds listed with Aslan populations for 1105. T5 Second Survey. If you disagree with the percentages, contact the canonistas:
If any of those worlds have Aslan governments, they really ought to have H:n notations (for Human).

Hans
Old April 30th, 2013, 11:15 PM

We barbarians make a slippery slope. By the time of Fourth Imperium, the Darrian Aslan are full barbarians except for the planet Roget where they have maintained traditional values. And the ones on Roget all have tolerance of non-Aslan, but expect better from from their genetically related Aslan.
Quote:
Darrian Aslan still have the drive to acquire land, as that is an instinctual imperative, not cultural conditioning. However, the drive is expressed in much more modest goals. The typical
Darrian Aslan dreams of making enough money to buy a farm he can develop and grow, not finding a virgin planet he can conquer and claim as his own. There are, of course, some Aslan who are more ambitious than that. (But even then their goal is to gain a large estate with servants and employees that they can ‘rule’.) The only “world seekers” seen in Darrian Aslan are the occasional ihatei-like individuals who reject the compromises their parents and peers have made, and leave to join a “true” Aslan society.
(Out of Darkness p.62)

Last edited by Nathan Brazil; April 30th, 2013 at 11:31 PM..
Old April 30th, 2013, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rancke View Post
If any of those worlds have Aslan governments, they really ought to have H:n notations (for Human).

Hans
Hans, just to be complete, none of the worlds listed have Aslan governments. Huma(n) is being used. So far only 3 worlds have this
Gnurs
Gurzhvoursivazae
Oegoerrvu
all in Gvurrdon Sector.
My understanding is that only the Imperial sectors have been cleaned up to T5 standards except for Gvurrdon and Ziafrplians.