Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > The Fleet

The Fleet Ship designs, strategies, and tactics.

Old May 11th, 2019, 12:15 AM
Citizen: SOC-1

Gallery : 0
Adenralumdan Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilemall View Post
It absolutely works as a grav vehicle in an urban/spaceport enviornment, as the FE example you cite or a hightech version of the various boatborne 'independent merchants' going ship to ship plying their wares at colorful ports.

Space however costs several multiples more per dton and I don't know about you, but I'm not cool having several small craft tie up to my airlock just for crew/passenger snacks.
I see your point. However, there's nothing stopping someone from attempting to run an interstellar taco truck. And I will sit with Condottiere, it does depend on if you can make an investment out of it. Possibly find a schedule of particular worlds that will pay lots of money for your food. One of my players has been a famous journalist. Writing a piece about the wonders of this food would go a long ways.

Also, restaurants that close for particular days get craved on those days.

And good food can change crew morale by tenfold.

Quote:
Reason I did the "legwork" on it was to show the process, and that I was bored.

I think showing the process is the valuable part of it.
Even if you're bored, I appreciate the work put in.

Quote:
It's like that noodle "boat" in the Fifth Element. Something as low margin as a greasy spoon noodle stand is able to float around on its anti-grav vehicle or whatever tech they used in the Fifth Element, and profit from it.
I actually thought about doing it that way and thought of Fifth Element at first. But again, was afraid if constraining my players too much.
Old May 11th, 2019, 03:33 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

PVernon Citizen

If you were to go with a cutter module something along the lines of "Trader Jim's Mobile Bar & Grill" from this page http://juliahwest.com/Traveller/Brook_West/
would be a good start.

Peter Vernon
Old May 11th, 2019, 03:57 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 3
GypsyComet Citizen++GypsyComet Citizen++GypsyComet Citizen++GypsyComet Citizen++

A modern food truck runs about 3 dtons, and a grav version could be similar. You could fit an entire company with two or three such grav trucks, a prep kitchen, and cold storage in one Cutter module, put quarters in a second, and be able to put a food truck franchise or emergency response kitchen pretty much anywhere on short notice.

"Alright. Where did that Beaker get a cred stick?"
(Website down until further notice)
Old May 11th, 2019, 04:08 PM
Noble

mike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizen

How much will they have to charge for a taco to cover their costs? Where do they source their ingredients? How long is the supply chain?
Old May 11th, 2019, 06:45 PM

Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++

Surplus military field kitchen.
Old May 12th, 2019, 04:37 AM

Gallery : 3
GypsyComet Citizen++GypsyComet Citizen++GypsyComet Citizen++GypsyComet Citizen++

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike wightman View Post
How much will they have to charge for a taco to cover their costs? Where do they source their ingredients? How long is the supply chain?
Answers to Questions #2 and #3 will help establish the answer to Question #1.

Consider that modern food trucks typically handle an entire day worth of customers with no re-supply, and can have fairly option-heavy menus. Anyone who has been present for the re-supply shift in fast food knows how much of a 5 dton semi-trailer one store needs per day.

Round numbers and off-the cuff calculations suggest approximately 1000 assembled tacos per cubic meter. Even at Cr1 per taco, one dton is a nice chunk of change...

"Alright. Where did that Beaker get a cred stick?"
(Website down until further notice)
Old May 12th, 2019, 05:39 PM

kilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyComet View Post
Round numbers and off-the cuff calculations suggest approximately 1000 assembled tacos per cubic meter. Even at Cr1 per taco, one dton is a nice chunk of change...

This is part of the continuing charm of CotI. Where else are you going to get a gaming stat like that worked out?

Assuming 1000kg per dton, that's 1kg or roughly 2 lbs. per taco. Even with wrapping and refrigeration kicked in, that's still a 1lb taco. Better charge more per taco.

Saaay, work out the math per dton.

A typical dton in interstellar cargo service pulls Cr1000 per trip, two trips a month.

Assuming down times, crew off days and business vs. functional weekend days, if you do 21 days of business a month that would be Cr21000 per ton.

Course you have to able to move 1000 tacos a day, or multiples thereof.
Old May 13th, 2019, 02:10 PM

whartung Citizen+whartung Citizen+whartung Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilemall View Post
Space however costs several multiples more per dton and I don't know about you, but I'm not cool having several small craft tie up to my airlock just for crew/passenger snacks.
I guess the point was missed.

A universe where a taco ship would be sustainable is interesting. I know starships are expensive. I know flying starships is expensive. That's why a sustainable taco ship universe would be interesting. Obviously, that "problem" has been solved.

I used the example of the floating boat from the 5th Element as something that today we might think of being very exotic and very expensive, yet here we see one schlepping noodles door to door.

Similar back when I had some gates redone on my house, the fellow came out, gave me a quote off his iPad. Took some photos with is iPhone, and sent me some emails.

10 years ago, that kind of "mobile office", while not unthinkable, was rare. And exotic. And expensive. And most certainly not in the domain of a guy that bends and welds iron to make gates.

Today, it's almost become the norm. Cheap, ubiquitous technology.
Old May 13th, 2019, 02:30 PM

Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++

As I told someone else, no one wins debating Traveller economics.

Starships are incredibly cheap; crew personnel may be incredibly well paid, if you times their salaries by five to compare current wages.

Energy is relatively free.

Farming will be automated; butchery probably as well, if they don't make an artificial meat substitute. Cost of food may be minuscule.

A taco truck making the rounds in the asteroid belt could be incredibly lucrative, as the belters get sick of homecooking, at best, and MRE packs, if they're lucky.
Old May 14th, 2019, 12:33 AM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 8
Shadow Shack Citizen+Shadow Shack Citizen+

Just use a free trader or far trader. The galley makes a fine restaurant area and the passenger cabins can be occupied by female entertainers fluent in carousing...which is where the real money is made.

Currently portraying Nyco 'the Kid' Layne in flykiller's Imperial Scout Rescue Service PbP game