Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Random Static > Non-Traveller Gaming

Non-Traveller Gaming A forum specifically for discussing those other games we like to play.

Old December 31st, 2017, 03:38 AM
Noble

Gallery : 0
mike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizen

Second session done and dice are starting to make sense.

After the game something was mentioned though.

The narrative dice do in one roll what I had been doing behind the scenes - I use a modified version of the reaction table to add what Genesys calls advantages and threats.

In my run of the mill Traveller system the player describes what they are doing and if I think a throw is needed they get to roll 2D - that is the success/fail.
I will often roll on the reaction table for unforeseen occurrences as a result of the characters actions - I roll 2D and refer to the modified reaction table I have - that is the advantage/threat.

Since adopting MgT boon/bane dice it is also the boost/setback die.

The dice are making sense, and player engagement with role playing their character and rolling funky dice is at an all time high.

This week the plonkers released the AI that had taken over the station - for some reason they thought it was malfunctioning bioware that had caused the havoc, they actually grew attached to the station's android.
Old December 31st, 2017, 03:46 AM
Administrator

Gallery : 53
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supplement Four View Post
It's about roleplaying, Wil. Just playing a character. Doing what the character would do and not playing the rules to one's best advantage.

Though, as GM, I would inform a player who doesn't know the rules about important rule effects, when appropriate.

It's about living in that character's shoes as if the player really were that character, reacting to the environment and the events around him instead of reacting to rules.

And, if that's not your style of play, then that's OK. You and I aren't playing together.
The rules provide the underlying physics of the setting... and characters should already know those; the only way to play that is to know the rules.

For systems like Genesys and FFG Star Wars, players learning the process and results spends is essential, because, by the rules, they get to pick their advantage spends; it's encouraged to let them spend your threat.

Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
Knight of Deneb (Spin 2532)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.

Last edited by aramis; December 31st, 2017 at 04:30 AM..
Old December 31st, 2017, 09:08 AM
Citizen: SOC-12

rhialto Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike wightman View Post
Second session done and dice are starting to make sense.

After the game something was mentioned though.

The narrative dice do in one roll what I had been doing behind the scenes - I use a modified version of the reaction table to add what Genesys calls advantages and threats.

In my run of the mill Traveller system the player describes what they are doing and if I think a throw is needed they get to roll 2D - that is the success/fail.
I will often roll on the reaction table for unforeseen occurrences as a result of the characters actions - I roll 2D and refer to the modified reaction table I have - that is the advantage/threat.

Since adopting MgT boon/bane dice it is also the boost/setback die.

The dice are making sense, and player engagement with role playing their character and rolling funky dice is at an all time high.

This week the plonkers released the AI that had taken over the station - for some reason they thought it was malfunctioning bioware that had caused the havoc, they actually grew attached to the station's android.
It'll be interesting to see how the system stands up over time for your group. My brother (who prefers FUDGE over all systems) is looking at Genesys, and I explained that CT is close to FUDGE in spirit. But for some reason he dislikes 2D6, and is drawn to the funky dice of Genesys, while I am repelled by them.
Jack Vance, Rhialto the Marvellous
Old December 31st, 2017, 10:54 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Supplement Four Citizen++Supplement Four Citizen++Supplement Four Citizen++Supplement Four Citizen++

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovka View Post
I have to agree with S4 here. Playing this way, my players feel more free to try things they otherwise might not.

Experienced Player:
"My movement rate is x. How long will it take to run down the stairs and across the ballroom to confront the Duke?"

GM:
"Three rounds"

Inexperienced Player:
"Can I jump from the railing, grab the chandelier, swing across the ballroom, and land on the table in front of the Duke?"

GM:
"Sure you can try it. It'll be hard. Here are the rolls you would need to make."

Experienced Player:
"Hey, that's not in the rules!"

I prefer that my players know more about the kind of story they want to tell and less about the rules.

YMMV

Cheers,

Baron Ovka
Exactly.
Old December 31st, 2017, 10:57 AM

Supplement Four Citizen++Supplement Four Citizen++Supplement Four Citizen++Supplement Four Citizen++

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramis View Post
The rules provide the underlying physics of the setting... and characters should already know those; the only way to play that is to know the rules.
Not the only way to play. The only way you play.

I've had some very successful games with brand new players who knew nothing of the rules. In fact, some of my most memorable games BITD came from a group of newbies who just sat down and played with little rule knowledge.
Old December 31st, 2017, 04:49 PM
Administrator

Visit aramis's Blog
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supplement Four View Post
Not the only way to play. The only way you play.

I've had some very successful games with brand new players who knew nothing of the rules. In fact, some of my most memorable games BITD came from a group of newbies who just sat down and played with little rule knowledge.
You're dragging the thread WAY off topic.

Knowledgable player is a requisite of the game design being discussed.

Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
MCG - Battle of Boughene
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old December 31st, 2017, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramis View Post
You're dragging the thread WAY off topic.

Knowledgable player is a requisite of the game design being discussed.
I agreed with Ovka's original post, and then you disagreed with mine. Looks like we're both guilty, not just me.

And, you've said yourself that threads wander off-topic, or close to topic all the time.
Old January 1st, 2018, 01:41 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 2
ovka Citizen+ovka Citizen+

In an effort to bring my and s4’s posts back into line with this theead, I dont think I could run Gensys because my players would have difficulty learning the dice and the rules.

Cheers,

Baron Ovka
Old January 1st, 2018, 02:47 PM
Noble

mike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizen

The dice are starting to make a lot of sense after only two games.

The awesome effect is players actually deciding on what the dice mean and contributing to the game's 'story'. There has been a noticeable increase in the amount of roleplaying and immersion into the scenario.

The last time we achieved anything like this it was the adoption of MgT boon/bane mechanic.
Perhaps that was a baby step towards the narrative dice system...

Aramis - what has been your experience of running FFG Star Wars compared with a more 'traditional' rpg?
Old January 1st, 2018, 04:31 PM
Administrator

Visit aramis's Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike wightman View Post
The dice are starting to make a lot of sense after only two games.

The awesome effect is players actually deciding on what the dice mean and contributing to the game's 'story'. There has been a noticeable increase in the amount of roleplaying and immersion into the scenario.

The last time we achieved anything like this it was the adoption of MgT boon/bane mechanic.
Perhaps that was a baby step towards the narrative dice system...

Aramis - what has been your experience of running FFG Star Wars compared with a more 'traditional' rpg?
I'm liking it, but my players have tapered off on major narrative inclusions via the dice - they're reluctant to use advantage for calling in allies, and prefer to take out blasters rather than call for reinforcements.

Still, once they learn the basic value, most are contributing in small ways. It's not uncommon to flip a destiny for a "yeah, I grabbed this on the way"...

I've 4 core players, and have been running the same campaign since about march; I had 7, but school issues pulled 2 away, and one pulled out after breaking up with my daughter (who also is playing).

One player - who refuses to learn rules nor setting materials - consistently fishes for extra benefit - wanting to get the assigned to player boost die for 1A instead of 2A, for example, and wants to reroll anytime a despair shows up. I'll note that, thanks to two force users, typical destiny pools are excessively large - as in 8-12 - for a 4 player group.

Advice for players: buy atts first. Talents & skills can come later (and some come free), but atts are harder to raise.
Learn the most common advantage spends:
1a: blue die on the pile for next player
2a: plue on a specific player's next roll
1a*: recover strain
2a*: second maneuver
3a: lasting advantage (including reinforcements or removal of minor threats)
And threat spends.(not listing them)

Destiny as a narrative tool are great.
Forgot something? destiny and flashback to grabbing it
Need something? Destiny to find it (provided it makes scenic sense0
Want to define something about the NPC? Destiny.
Need NPC Reinforcements? destiny brings a few minions or a rival level NPC on the side.

Don't let destiny be used for pure mechanical rerolls - while it is great for low-experience PC's, it makes adversary far less important later on. Only offer a reroll with a compelling narration of how the inner strength of the character or group matters.

Talents are where characters really differentiate and acquire their competence; skill is far less important.

More dice is better than better dice. Given the option always go for the extra green rather than swapping green for yellow. (likewise, adding a purple is actual increase in difficulty; upgrading purple to red only increases the odds of side effects.)

Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
MCG - Battle of Boughene