Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Play By Post > Space Badger's Reaver's Deep

Space Badger's Reaver's Deep SpaceBadger's SBRD game

Closed Thread

Old August 30th, 2013, 10:19 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 15
samuelvss Citizen
Default Henry as part-time NPC shooter

I digressed posting elsewhere, and decided this fit best here. I'm not responding to anything, just stating my piece. I have proposed that, especially in combat, Henry can be used as an NPC however Badger sees fit. To that end:

I see this a little like playing Jayne in Firefly; if we are talking about what he's doing with the Feds on Ariel, that's a crucial player choice. If we say, "The bad guys are shooting at the crew; Jayne, what are you doing?" it is not rocket science but muscle memory.

Anyone can play Henry's muscle memory as far as I'm concerned. Likewise, anyone can have him doing something dorky in front of a woman, girl, or even a Brownie. Anyone can have him losing his last 2Cr in a card game, deferring to authority, or watching the ship when everyone else is getting stinkin' on liberty. You can do that 'cause that who he is, because that's how I've made him, I have said so, and he is mine. You should do so according to Badger's say-so, cause he's the Man.

SVSS

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Leave the gun; take the cannoli."
Old August 30th, 2013, 03:17 PM
Peer of the Realm

Gallery : 1
Visit SpaceBadger's Blog
SpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by samuelvss View Post
I digressed posting elsewhere, and decided this fit best here. I'm not responding to anything, just stating my piece. I have proposed that, especially in combat, Henry can be used as an NPC however Badger sees fit. To that end:

I see this a little like playing Jayne in Firefly; if we are talking about what he's doing with the Feds on Ariel, that's a crucial player choice. If we say, "The bad guys are shooting at the crew; Jayne, what are you doing?" it is not rocket science but muscle memory.

Anyone can play Henry's muscle memory as far as I'm concerned. Likewise, anyone can have him doing something dorky in front of a woman, girl, or even a Brownie. Anyone can have him losing his last 2Cr in a card game, deferring to authority, or watching the ship when everyone else is getting stinkin' on liberty. You can do that 'cause that who he is, because that's how I've made him, I have said so, and he is mine. You should do so according to Badger's say-so, cause he's the Man.
LOL, so now we expressly have two Jayne-inspired crew.

Thanks, Sam.

- - - - - - - - - -

EDIT: Chaos, did you ever reply as to whether Gayne's electromag combat sniper rifle has a name? I believe that Sam has mentioned Henry's laser carbine is Vivian.

GM Maxim #2: If the Players have any kind of Ship, deckplans are mandatory. Otherwise, the Players will wander around with vague and contradictory notions of where things are, and Chaos results.

Playing ex-Ranger Frank Masuda in Magnus's Permatic Imperium T5 PbP
Playing Engineer Ank Buchannon in flykiller's Imperial Scout Rescue Service PbP

My Old Stuff (2013-14)
SBRD Campaign Quick Reference
SBRD Campaign Wiki: Reavers' Deep during The Long Night
Old September 7th, 2013, 10:23 PM

Visit Fritz_Brown's Blog
Fritz_Brown has disabled reputation

I asked a question somewhere about the wiki entries, and how we would upload pics for them. Do we know how that works? Obviously you know how, SB - you got those purty maps up in there. How do I get a pic or two into the wiki?
Old September 7th, 2013, 11:28 PM
Peer of the Realm

Visit SpaceBadger's Blog
SpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritz_Brown View Post
I asked a question somewhere about the wiki entries, and how we would upload pics for them. Do we know how that works? Obviously you know how, SB - you got those purty maps up in there. How do I get a pic or two into the wiki?
Well, if I could find the previous time I answered this for you, I would just quote it for you here ( ), but it apparently wasn't much of an answer, so probably not worth the effort.

So...

Toward the lower end of the lefthand sidebar is a link that says "Upload File"; it works the same as most every similar link everywhere else on the web.

Now you have the file uploaded, you need to remember the filename that you gave it; should be the same filename it had on your machine, unless you expressly changed it when uploading.

Now go to the wiki page where you want to put the image (Donoma's character page, I assume?).

Click the "Edit" tab along the top edge of the page.

Now, somewhere in the page where you want the image to appear, put in this link:
[[File:filename|right|text-top|caption]]

The caption is optional; if you leave it out, also leave out the last pipe.

For more options, see Mediawiki:Help:Images.

I have found the most helpful info on formatting etc for this Wiki by drilling down a few links under the "Help" link to this Mediawiki:Help:Formatting page. Or if still stumped, ask tjoneslo, the Wiki admin; he has always been very helpful, but I imagine he must get deluged w questions, so I usually try to figure something out myself, first. (Besides, it is good exercise. )
GM Maxim #2: If the Players have any kind of Ship, deckplans are mandatory. Otherwise, the Players will wander around with vague and contradictory notions of where things are, and Chaos results.

My Old Stuff (2013-14)
Old September 8th, 2013, 07:53 PM

Gallery : 15
samuelvss Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceBadger View Post
LOL, so now we expressly have two Jayne-inspired crew.....
EDIT: Chaos, did you ever reply as to whether Gayne's electromag combat sniper rifle has a name? I believe that Sam has mentioned Henry's laser carbine is Vivian.
Here's the funny thing: when I put down "Vivian," I was thinking "Vera." Vera is the name of my daughter's favorite doll: MUCH more appropriate!

Someone smarter than me once said, "There are two kinds of military men: those who love Kipling, and those who do not know Kipling." I think one could substitute Traveller fans and Firefly in that. Thus, any non-military shooter on a ship crew that I ever play will be chronically infected with the Jayne bug. That said, Henry's more of a zero-g shooter. He's more hung up over women, has gambling problems, and would never have to ask Kaylee where the hydraulic thingy was in the engine room. Jayne's a bear; Henry's more of a weasel.

SVSS

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Leave the gun; take the cannoli."
Old September 8th, 2013, 08:07 PM

Gallery : 5
Visit sabredog's Blog
sabredog Citizen+sabredog Citizen+sabredog Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by samuelvss View Post
Here's the funny thing: when I put down "Vivian," I was thinking "Vera." Vera is the name of my daughter's favorite doll: MUCH more appropriate!

Someone smarter than me once said, "There are two kinds of military men: those who love Kipling, and those who do not know Kipling." I think one could substitute Traveller fans and Firefly in that. Thus, any non-military shooter on a ship crew that I ever play will be chronically infected with the Jayne bug. That said, Henry's more of a zero-g shooter. He's more hung up over women, has gambling problems, and would never have to ask Kaylee where the hydraulic thingy was in the engine room. Jayne's a bear; Henry's more of a weasel.
Just to throw it out there, when I was still a patrol deputy my personal AR-15 carbine was (and still is) named Vera. After Jayne's, naturally. In fact the kids insisted on it.

tc++ ru ge+ !3i c+@ jt au ls pi+ he+
Old September 8th, 2013, 09:49 PM

Visit Fritz_Brown's Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceBadger View Post
OK, with what account? I edited once before while logged into CotI normally. But, now, it insists my account doesn't exist there. What did I do wrong? Do I need a separate account, now?
Old September 8th, 2013, 11:28 PM
Peer of the Realm

Visit SpaceBadger's Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritz_Brown View Post
OK, with what account? I edited once before while logged into CotI normally. But, now, it insists my account doesn't exist there. What did I do wrong? Do I need a separate account, now?
That you will have to ask tjoneslo.

Did you try logging in w your CotI username and pwd?

If it says that acct does not exist, maybe try clicking "register"?

ISTR I had to do a separate registration , not just be logged into CotI.

My Old Stuff (2013-14)
Old September 9th, 2013, 06:39 AM

Visit Fritz_Brown's Blog

That's what it looks like - a separate registration. Which means that when I tweaked an item before, it was because the thing was wide open. OK, I'll go set myself up, today.
Old September 9th, 2013, 09:17 AM
Administrator

Gallery : 53
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

The wiki, while hosted on the same server, is a separate hosting account, with separate login and separate user accounts. This is because (1) the VB3 wiki software mod broke at 3.8.2 (1.1) an update to PHP broke it further due to changes in the PHP syntax (2) the VB4 wiki software mod is incompatible with the wiki we had been running, (3) the offsite wiki needed new hosting, and (4)the COTI wiki needed cleanup which couldn't be done as it was.

Oh, and (5) the integration of the wiki created security issues for VB3.

I've not gotten vb4 up yet. I'm still trying to isolate what is and isn't essential on our VB3 install.

Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
Knight of Deneb (Spin 2532)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Closed Thread