Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Play By Post > Space Badger's Reaver's Deep

Space Badger's Reaver's Deep SpaceBadger's SBRD game

Closed Thread

Old August 11th, 2013, 04:14 PM
Peer of the Realm

Gallery : 1
Visit SpaceBadger's Blog
SpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected Citizen

[SBRD] Crew Roster w Skills

I needed to make this reference for myself, so figured I might as well post it in the Characters thread for all to see.

This will not have the detailed backstories, but I will link back to the appropriate post in the Character thread where each character was introduced. I am pulling 90% of this from those public introductions, intending to keep private details of the characters private, so if I inadvertently include something about your PC that you didn't want public yet, let me know and I will edit it out and I'm sure your fellow players will do their best to forget and not let that leak over into PC knowledge. Please also let me know if I get something wrong, so that I can correct it - some of these characters have had some revision along the way.

This should be everybody except LiNeNoiSe, who is still working on his character.

Hampton Rhodes, Captain and Pilot (played by Sabredog)
6A79AB, Age 38, Human Male
Blade-2, Bribery-1, Gunnery-1, Mechanical-1, Pilot-2, SMG-1, Streetwise-2, Vacc Suit-1

Joined Close Call at age 18 in 3711 AD, has spent the last 20 years moving up through the officer ranks. In April 3731 AD, took over the ship, made himself Captain, and changed the name to Fortunate Son. (More details here.)

Average height and weight with medium brown hair and gray eyes. Hampton gives the impression of having lived hard yet had a decent dental plan. Tends to be what people would describe as , "He's kinda hard to get close to.", but is actually pretty good company when among close friends. Reads history and potboilers in his spare time, as well as trying to learn to paint to pass the time in jump. As mentioned earlier, Hampton was wounded when his ship was under attack by pirates. He limps, but doesn't need a cane - it just hurts a lot sometimes, and depending on the humidity he feels it in his knee and elbow joints.

Kalos Thar, First Officer and Pilot/Navigator (played by ErianFrost)
6A7863, Age 30, Human Male
Mechanic-1, CargoHandler-0, Handgun-2, Bribery-2, Trader-2, Astrogator-2, Broker-2, Ship's Boat-0, Pilot-1, Streetwise-1, JoT-1, Admin-2, Forgery-0, Holdout/Search-2, Gunner-2

Joined Fortunate Son in April 3731 on Zwingle (Daibei 1024). (More details here.)

Kalos Thar has been a Free Trader since age eighteen. Originally hired as a mechanic, he was swiftly promoted to 4th Officer. A series of unfortunate events taught him the value of a good sidearm, the art of greasing palms, and the finer points of making shady deals. Kalos served on several different vessels during his 12 years as a Free Trader, learning the trade and working his way up to First Officer. His last ship was Mercury's Shadow. Kalos had already had extensive experience with smuggling, but was dismayed to learn of some of the things that Mercury's Shadow specialized in: illegal weapons and hard drugs, mostly sold to organized criminal gangs. Kalos wanted no part of the violent criminal gang that was the Mercury's Shadow's Captain and crew. At the next port he jumped ship and found the Fortunate Son.

Donoma Lafitte, Second Officer and Navigator (played by Fritz_Brown)
6A6BA7, Age 34, Human Female
Navigator-4, Ship'sBoat-1, Pilot-0, VaccSuit-1, Engineering-1, Communications-1, Electronics-0, Steward-0, Gravitics-1, Mechanic-1

Has not joined the crew of Fortunate Son yet.

Previously First Officer on the Mary Deare (whose owner recently passed away and is now owned by his widow), Donoma has her 'tickets' for Apprentice Electronics and Starship Pilot, Journeyman certificates for Interface Pilot, Steward, Ship's Engineer, Gravitics, and Mechanics, as well as a Master's Certificate for Navigation. She has a slight accent that is not likely to be recognized.

Max Black, Chief Engineer and Chief Steward (played by ATPollard)
7A5C53, Age 26, Human Male
Administration-1, Artistic-0, Electronics -0, Engineering-3, Gravitics-0, Liaison-1, Mechanical-1, Ship's Tactics-0, Shotgun-0, Steward-2, Streetwise-0, Vacc Suit-1

Joined Close Call in 3729 on Shiishiga (Daibei 1216), and remained aboard Fortunate Son w Captain Rhodes after the change. (More details here.)

Black hair (very short); Pale skin; Blue/Green eyes. Max wears common grey coveralls, black boots and black tactical webbing with pockets and loops sporting various small common tools always in reach. The only thing unusual about his outfit is the overwhelming ‘military’ character of it … He always seems dressed for inspection. He is polite and somewhat withdrawn around strangers, but friendly and outgoing with anyone who takes the time to get to know him. As a Steward, Max likes to bake.

When in his work uniform, the only unusual feature is the faintest hint of a tattoo at his left wrist and near his collar. When he removes his shirt/coveralls, a continuous tattoo is visible from his left wrist across his upper left chest and back. If asked, he will explain that from his left wrist to elbow represents the achievements of his first term, from elbow to shoulder represents his second term, and his upper left chest and back represent his third term. It is a trait from his clan of Reavers.

Sam 'Doc' Freeman, Medical Officer and Cargo Chief (played by DaveChase)
767AC9, Age 32, Human Male
Medic 4, Computer 1, Admin 1, Ships Boat 1, Gambling 1, Carousing 1, Electronic 1, Vacc Suit 1, Jot 1, Cargo Handling 1, Robotics-0, Brewing(Hobby)-0, Mechanical(MedEquip)-0, Streetwise-1, Electronics(Medical)-0

Joined Fortunate Son in April 3731 on Egarnigun (Daibei 1223). (More details here.)

5ft 8in, brown hair, green eyes, lean but not thin. Average build.
Clean cut, but obviously one who likes to socialize with a friendly demeanor.
Blends into crowds without trying since his looks are average and typical other than the green eyes.

Leo P. Henry, Asst Engineer and Security (played by Samuelvss)
765A47, Age 46, Human Male
Laser Carbine-3, Vacc Suit-2, Blade -1, Gambling-1, Brawling-1, Engineering-1, Pilot-1, Streetwise-1, Tactics-1, Zero-G Combat-1, Snub Pistol-1

Joined Fortunate Son in April 3731 on Egarnigun (Daibei 1223). (More details here.)

"Henry" as he is known does not talk about his past. He is a man of medium build, with more than a few scars. His eyes are disconcertingly of mixed color. That and the logo of a defunct merchant firm on his lower left cheek give him a decidedly asymetrical cast. The term "crooked" comes to mind. He is badly in need of a hair cut, and it looks as if his last was done with the snips out of a metalworking tool kit, though that was not recently enough to remove the last couple of cm or so of his mud brown hair that is still dyed a somewhat sickly purple. Henry wears ship's coveralls of uncertain parentage, that seem a bit too big for him, with a few rough repairs of what are apparently bullet holes. He wears his blade on his belt; it is a ceramic one, in a non-metallic sheath. He is happy to stow this inside his coveralls where it is prohibited.

Gayne Maize, Asst Medic and Security (played by ChaosBennett)
AAA633, Age 30, Human Male
CbtRifle-3, Dagger-2, Brawling-1, Demolition-2, Survival-0, Recon-1, Vaccsuit-1, Zero-G-0, JumpTroop-0, Commo-1, Medic-1, Security-1

Joined Fortunate Son in April 3731 on Zwingle (Daibei 1024). (More details here.)

Gayne Maize was raised poor and uneducated, but enlisted in the Army at age 18 and was quickly chosen for Commando School, where he excelled at combat skills, especially Combat Rifleman, at which he earned both Master Marksman and Master Sniper badges. He earned two Citations for Meritorious Conduct Under Fire and one Purple Heart during his career, which involved numerous special-ops missions behind enemy lines.

Janna Vilshiggur, Steward and Cargo-hand (NPC)
778667, Age 26, Human Female
Steward-1, Cargo-Handling-1, VaccSuit-1, Vehicle(Grav)-1, Shotgun-1

Joined Fortunate Son in June 3731 on Kuguli (Daibei 0624).

Benjamin Chance, Gunner and Cargo-hand (NPC)
795755, Age 22, Human Male
VaccSuit-2, Zero-G-2, Brawling-1, Gunner-1, Cargo-Handling-1

Joined Close Call in 3727, and remained aboard Fortunate Son w Captain Rhodes after the change.

Bruno Kansakarrir, Electrician/Mechanic and Cargo-hand (NPC)
B76894, Age 38, Human Male
Mechanic-1, VaccSuit-2, Electronics-2, Gunner-1, Cargo-Handling-2, Brawling-2, Handgun-1, SMG-1

Joined Close Call at age 18 in 3711 AD. Remained aboard Fortunate Son w Captain Rhodes after the change.

Uh-oh, text limit for post is 1000 chars; no room for NPC backgrounds. See blog post.
GM Maxim #2: If the Players have any kind of Ship, deckplans are mandatory. Otherwise, the Players will wander around with vague and contradictory notions of where things are, and Chaos results.

Playing ex-Ranger Frank Masuda in Magnus's Permatic Imperium T5 PbP
Playing Engineer Ank Buchannon in flykiller's Imperial Scout Rescue Service PbP

My Old Stuff (2013-14)
SBRD Campaign Quick Reference
SBRD Campaign Wiki: Reavers' Deep during The Long Night

Last edited by SpaceBadger; August 12th, 2013 at 10:05 AM.. Reason: fixed dates, added NPC info, Donoma stats/skills
Old August 11th, 2013, 10:36 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 15
samuelvss Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceBadger;448425[B
Bruno Kansakarrir, Electrician/Mechanic and Cargo-hand[/B] (NPC)
xxxxxx, Age 38, Human Male
[UPP and skills to be added]

Joined Close Call at age 18 in 3531 AD, has spent the last 20 years becoming a broadly skilled crewman with a few combat skills, too. Remained aboard Fortunate Son w Captain Rhodes after the change.
What did he do for the other 180 years on the Close Call?

Shall we make that "joined Close Call at age 18 in 3711 AD.."?

SVSS

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Leave the gun; take the cannoli."
Old August 11th, 2013, 11:55 PM
Peer of the Realm

Visit SpaceBadger's Blog
SpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by samuelvss View Post

Shall we make that "joined Close Call at age 18 in 3711 AD.."?
Umm, yeah, that's the ticket! I probably messed up Hampton's also, since they joined the same year - oops, yep.
GM Maxim #2: If the Players have any kind of Ship, deckplans are mandatory. Otherwise, the Players will wander around with vague and contradictory notions of where things are, and Chaos results.

My Old Stuff (2013-14)
Old August 12th, 2013, 06:41 AM

Visit Fritz_Brown's Blog
Fritz_Brown has disabled reputation

Quote:
Meh. He's just pure Vilani. That's also why he takes forever to learn skills. Or, maybe he's this guy.
Old August 13th, 2013, 04:34 PM
Peer of the Realm

Visit SpaceBadger's Blog

Some parts of a private email response that I think would be of benefit to the whole group:

> I have been thinking that the spacer community out this way is small
> enough that, while it's not true that everyone knows everyone, someone
> knows everyone and everyone knows someone. Would this generally be true?

Hmm, I had not really thought about that, but with the low traffic volume in this area it makes sense. Would not apply to every ship, as some just make local runs and would not be widely known, but generally it would be true.

> The Fortunate Son is just now entering RD, so I would think that would
> be something they would probably "know" down at the port/among the
> chandlers. It's not one of the ships that calls here, nor one of them
> they have heard about.

I don't think they would necessarily be confident in that assumption, but some might remark, "Hmm, never seen that ship here before." The if they were curious, they could check the transponder info and see that home port is in the middle of Daibei, and draw their own assumptions from that.

>What all is included in the transponder call/berthing call? I would assume
> tonnage (to determine a landing spot and MOG - "max on ground").
> Would it include model/class? Would it include registration date?

Ship name, registration numbers, world of registration, name of Captain, would all be in the transponder info. The message to the port traffic control would include all of the other info you are talking about, but would not be public access.

Then of course when the ship decides what info it wants to release about cargo carried and wanted, that would be in the form of a PR announcement or advert. (Manifest to customs would be non-public.)

My Old Stuff (2013-14)
Old August 13th, 2013, 04:49 PM

Gallery : 5
Visit sabredog's Blog
sabredog Citizen+sabredog Citizen+sabredog Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceBadger View Post
Some parts of a private email response that I think would be of benefit to the whole group:

> I have been thinking that the spacer community out this way is small
> enough that, while it's not true that everyone knows everyone, someone
> knows everyone and everyone knows someone. Would this generally be true?

Hmm, I had not really thought about that, but with the low traffic volume in this area it makes sense. Would not apply to every ship, as some just make local runs and would not be widely known, but generally it would be true.

> The Fortunate Son is just now entering RD, so I would think that would
> be something they would probably "know" down at the port/among the
> chandlers. It's not one of the ships that calls here, nor one of them
> they have heard about.

I don't think they would necessarily be confident in that assumption, but some might remark, "Hmm, never seen that ship here before." The if they were curious, they could check the transponder info and see that home port is in the middle of Daibei, and draw their own assumptions from that.
I agree with this assessment. We are new to the area, but still on the edge of "civilized space" and when a new ship shows up it would naturally start speculation and rumor, but they might have enough traffic that it wouldn't be something out of the ordinary. There wasn't some "Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here" sign that we missed when we dropped out of jumpspace and crossed the border was there?

I figure this small penetration of the Deep is like stopping at Nevis or St Christopher's before sailing to Port Royale: we are heading into potential harm's way where risk, adventure, and riches beyond the imagination of Han Solo await us, but for now we are on the edge of it. The Imperium is just around the corner and I would expect that the Free Traders and others don't slam on the brakes at the border.

But, this would be an excellent place to start using those Streetwise and similar info-seeking skills to get some dope on what to expect as we head in deeper into the ...Deep. Maybe make a few contacts for later speculative cargo, scheduled cargo runs from the Imperium to here that we can then carry further for someone, etc..? This place isn't much, as places we are used go, but it might be a useful hub.

tc++ ru ge+ !3i c+@ jt au ls pi+ he+
Old August 13th, 2013, 05:08 PM
Peer of the Realm

Visit SpaceBadger's Blog

Some stuff I just edited on the Equipment/Weapons blog page, but figured I'd also post here for those who don't follow all the blog stuff:

Primary Military Rifles by Tech Level
Thinking about the gauss weapons, I decided to do a little adjusting of TL availability of primary military weapons - not changing stats, just initial TL availability.
Assault Rifle - TL 7
Experimental Laser Rifle - TL 8
Advanced Combat Rifle (ACR) - TL 9
Experimental Gauss Rifle - TL 9
Laser Rifle w backpack - TL 9
Gauss Combat Rifle - TL 10
Laser Rifle w internal energy cell - TL 12
PGMP-12 - TL 12 (duh!)

Gauss pistol is TL 10, Laser pistol TL 12.

Ammo for weapons can sometimes be manufactured at lower TL than the weapon itself, if appropriate specs or samples are available for copying. Assault rifle ammo can be made at TL 5+; ACR ammo at TL 7+; Gauss ammo at TL 8+.

My Old Stuff (2013-14)
Old August 13th, 2013, 07:30 PM

samuelvss Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceBadger View Post
Primary Military Rifles by Tech Level
Thinking about the gauss weapons, I decided to do a little adjusting of TL availability of primary military weapons - not changing stats, just initial TL availability.
Assault Rifle - TL 7
Experimental Laser Rifle - TL 8
Advanced Combat Rifle (ACR) - TL 9
Experimental Gauss Rifle - TL 9
Laser Rifle w backpack - TL 9
Gauss Combat Rifle - TL 10
Laser Rifle w internal energy cell - TL 12
PGMP-12 - TL 12 (duh!)

Gauss pistol is TL 10, Laser pistol TL 12.

Ammo for weapons can sometimes be manufactured at lower TL than the weapon itself, if appropriate specs or samples are available for copying. Assault rifle ammo can be made at TL 5+; ACR ammo at TL 7+; Gauss ammo at TL 8+.
Couple of things: when you say "Gauss ammo," I assume you are talking about the needles.

Laser Carbine w/ backpack, would that be TL10, then?

SVSS

Old August 13th, 2013, 07:36 PM

samuelvss Citizen

From the IC thread, about Henry:

[OOC: Just a minor note, but if you are carrying an Auto Snub under clothing or concealed, I assume you are using 10-round magazine rather than 20; that bigger magazine sticks out of the grip a ways and would be hard to wear concealed.]

Yes, he has a shoulder rig that is essentially built into a lyrca-like vest (no straps) with his snub pistol under his off-side arm, and two ten-rounders under his strong-side arm. He owns no 20-rounders. He is always looking to acquire more hardware, but seems to lose a lot of the "extra" stuff in card games...

He'll mortgage his left one, though, before he would part with Vivian. (He'd never think of trading her for a lusty redheaded bride, for instance!)

SVSS

Old August 13th, 2013, 07:50 PM
Peer of the Realm

Visit SpaceBadger's Blog

Quote:
Couple of things: when you say "Gauss ammo," I assume you are talking about the needles.

Laser Carbine w/ backpack, would that be TL10, then?
Well, any ammo intended to fire through gauss weapon: standard needles, frag needles (like HE for shipboard); any specialty needles may need higher TL.

Laser Carbine should be same TL as Laser Rifle, shouldn't it? Hmm, TTB says TL 8 for Carbine and TL 9 for Rifle - that seems odd. I think they should both be same TL, which is TL 9 in this game.

My Old Stuff (2013-14)
Closed Thread