Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Play By Post > Space Badger's Reaver's Deep

Space Badger's Reaver's Deep SpaceBadger's SBRD game

Closed Thread

Old August 6th, 2013, 12:17 AM
Peer of the Realm

Gallery : 1
Visit SpaceBadger's Blog
SpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected Citizen

New Blog Post w List of Possible Homeworlds, plus Pre-Game Journey of the Fortunate Son

Two things for players to do:

1. Choose your homeworld for your PC's backstory.

2. Decide where along the way your PC joined the crew:
a) already on crew prior to change of ownership/name

b) joined crew at one of the worlds listed in the itinerary

c) not yet onboard, waiting to join ship at first stop in Reaver's Deep
I still need to discuss w Sabredog (Captain Rhodes) about any details he may want to add to the pre-game journey, and determine exactly which world he wants to visit first in the Deep (either Kaduggur 3223, or Devonia 3125).
GM Maxim #2: If the Players have any kind of Ship, deckplans are mandatory. Otherwise, the Players will wander around with vague and contradictory notions of where things are, and Chaos results.

Playing ex-Ranger Frank Masuda in Magnus's Permatic Imperium T5 PbP
Playing Engineer Ank Buchannon in flykiller's Imperial Scout Rescue Service PbP

My Old Stuff (2013-14)
SBRD Campaign Quick Reference
SBRD Campaign Wiki: Reavers' Deep during The Long Night
Old August 6th, 2013, 03:38 PM
Peer of the Realm

Visit SpaceBadger's Blog
SpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected Citizen

Just wanted to let y'all know that I received the ship plans from Sabredog last night, and they look great. Next thing is for me to take the specs that he sent me, put that together w the compartment key and deck plans and a few details I need to add, make a nice PDF out of all that, and post it for your enjoyment.

Unfortunately, today has been a bad day healthwise, and I haven't been able to get any work done at all, neither the real kind that pays money nor the Traveller kind. I hope to be doing better this evening and get the ship PDF posted.

Back to sleep now.
GM Maxim #2: If the Players have any kind of Ship, deckplans are mandatory. Otherwise, the Players will wander around with vague and contradictory notions of where things are, and Chaos results.

My Old Stuff (2013-14)
Old August 7th, 2013, 04:22 PM
Peer of the Realm

Visit SpaceBadger's Blog

Coding some of the starports for backdated worlds in the Long Night is giving me some issues.

For example, a starport that includes construction facilities for starships is automatically a class A port; that is part of the definition of class A. The problem is that in most of the systems w surviving class A ports, that construction capacity (in this setting) is devoted almost entirely to production of military starships, either for attack or defense depending on the orientation of the system.

Civilian production is very low; most freighters are somewhat old and decrepit, with only the richest lines on the best routes able to afford new ships often. Civilian traffic is also very low compared to what we are familiar with in other eras; after all, that is one of the distinguishing features of the Long Night, the collapse of central authority and subsequent vast reduction in interstellar trade, leaving individual worlds and subsectors pretty much to their own resources.

This suggests to me that the civilian portions of these class A ports will be a lot less than what we are used to; rather than the "bustling seaport" analogy, even the class A's will be more like minor ports, mostly servicing local non-starships and the few freighters for what little interstellar commerce remains. In this setting, the major difference between A and B ports versus C and D ports will be the capability of building ships, not the relative amounts of traffic and facilities. In this setting, the civilian portions of A and B ports are not a lot different from C and D.

I haven't decided the best way to present this in Library Data. I'm using the standard classes in UWPs; if it can build starships, it is class A, regardless of civilian facilities. Obviously I will be describing each port as it is visited by the PCs, but I would like to have something they can reference when planning voyages. I guess I can include a note on port facilities (such as is known) in the Library Data text; if they don't read it, they may get a surprise.

My Old Stuff (2013-14)
Old August 7th, 2013, 05:02 PM
Absent Friend

Gallery : 11
rancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceBadger View Post
For example, a starport that includes construction facilities for starships is automatically a class A port; that is part of the definition of class A.
Not so, although not all Traveller writers have realized it. HG allows worlds with the requisite technology to build warships regardless of their starport class. It follows that there are (or can be) worlds with Class E starports that nevertheless have (military) shipyards. It follows that the starport rating deals with civilian traffic, not military.

Quote:
The problem is that in most of the systems w surviving class A ports, that construction capacity (in this setting) is devoted almost entirely to production of military starships, either for attack or defense depending on the orientation of the system.
Then they're not Class A.

Quote:
Civilian production is very low; most freighters are somewhat old and decrepit, with only the richest lines on the best routes able to afford new ships often.
Allow me to suggest a variant starport rating: Class B denotes worlds that can provide annual maintenance and repair, but not new civilian construction (At least not to outsiders). Class A have civilian yards, ship- or boat- as the technology supports.

Hans

Last edited by rancke; August 7th, 2013 at 05:30 PM.. Reason: A 'Class B' changed to 'Class A'.
Old August 7th, 2013, 05:10 PM
Peer of the Realm

Visit SpaceBadger's Blog

OK, back to work on the ship. I'm not well enough today to drive into town to my office (also main routes through town are reported very congested with detour traffic from the flooded parts of I-44), but I can go sit at the table with my laptop and work on the ship, as I want to get it posted tonight, so I can then work on the "first post" to set the scene for getting play started tomorrow.

Sabredog already did all the hard work of designing the ship, specs, deckplan, compartment descriptions; I am just editing it all together into one package to post as PDF for easy reference (plus figuring out the "ship's business" stuff like salaries and ship-shares and regular operating expenses).

My Old Stuff (2013-14)
Old August 7th, 2013, 05:14 PM
Peer of the Realm

Visit SpaceBadger's Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by rancke View Post
Not so, although not all Traveller writers have realized it. HG allows worlds with the requisite technology to build warships regardless of their starport class. It follows that there are (or can be) worlds with Class E starports that nevertheless have (military) shipyards. It follows that the starport rating deals with civilian traffic, not military.
Thank you, I did not realize that, either. I have the first edition High Guard, but never really got into it much as we didn't run Navy campaigns.

Quote:
Allow me to suggest a variant starport rating: Class B denotes worlds that can provide annual maintenance and repair, but not new civilian construction (At least not to outsiders). Class B have civilian yards, ship- or boat- as the technology supports.
And then true class A ports are those with enough construction capacity to also build new civilian starships? Yeah, that could work - although I will need to change starport classes on a few worlds I've already done, it would be worth it to have meaningful UWPs from here on forward.

My Old Stuff (2013-14)
Old August 7th, 2013, 05:33 PM
Absent Friend

Gallery : 11
rancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizen

Ooops. The second 'Class B' should have been 'Class A'. I've corrected that in the original post. My intend was to suggest that 'Class B' indicate better facilities than a Class C (most importantly, annual maintenance), everything BUT ship/boat construction.

Hans
Old August 7th, 2013, 05:47 PM
Peer of the Realm

Visit SpaceBadger's Blog

Quote:
Ooops. The second 'Class B' should have been 'Class A'. I've corrected that in the original post. My intend was to suggest that 'Class B' indicate better facilities than a Class C (most importantly, annual maintenance), everything BUT ship/boat construction.
OK, yeah, I missed that. Sounds good as you have it now.

My Old Stuff (2013-14)
Old August 8th, 2013, 01:34 AM
Peer of the Realm

Visit SpaceBadger's Blog

[SBRD] Fortunate Son First Draft

Didn't get as much done today as I had hoped, but here is the first draft of the Fortunate Son specs, details, and deckplans.

I didn't get all of the details of shipboard equipment finished, or the "ship's business" part w shares and finances, or the current condition of the ship.

But I did get all of Sabredog's specs and notes added and edited, and a lot of additional material added to go with his stuff, and his deckplans added, so you can look at all of that stuff.

I'll do the rest tomorrow - but if tomorrow goes like today as far as my ability to work, then I expect that we will be starting the game on Friday rather than tomorrow.

Sabredog and other players: please take a look and let me know if there is anything that we talked about that I have left out.

Zzzzzzzz.

My Old Stuff (2013-14)
Old August 8th, 2013, 06:24 AM
Absent Friend

Gallery : 71
DaveChase Citizen

Not to be to big of a pain but

Medical should be in either room 18 or 19 not all the way in the back away from the passengers. Also 18 and 19 are close to the lower deck entry ways

another question/issue
What no lifts from cargo to the engineering or cargo to upper deck?

We have to man handle all things from one deck to the other?

Dave Chase