Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Play By Post > Space Badger's Reaver's Deep

Space Badger's Reaver's Deep SpaceBadger's SBRD game

Closed Thread

Old August 4th, 2013, 05:41 PM
Peer of the Realm

Gallery : 1
Visit SpaceBadger's Blog
SpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by rancke View Post
What if they are racial Chinese directly from San Francisco, Terra?
Then why bother to mention it in the Library Data, if it means nothing more than genetic factors affecting hair and skin color, but has nothing to do with culture?

Anybody have an answer to my actual request, for a good source of Chinese-language system names?
GM Maxim #2: If the Players have any kind of Ship, deckplans are mandatory. Otherwise, the Players will wander around with vague and contradictory notions of where things are, and Chaos results.

Playing ex-Ranger Frank Masuda in Magnus's Permatic Imperium T5 PbP
Playing Engineer Ank Buchannon in flykiller's Imperial Scout Rescue Service PbP

My Old Stuff (2013-14)
SBRD Campaign Quick Reference
SBRD Campaign Wiki: Reavers' Deep during The Long Night
Old August 4th, 2013, 05:50 PM
Absent Friend

Gallery : 11
rancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceBadger View Post
Then why bother to mention it in the Library Data, if it means nothing more than genetic factors affecting hair and skin color, but has nothing to do with culture?
Who says it has nothing to do with culture? It could be a highly romanticized reconstructed culture, made up out of a hodge-podge of historical sources centuries after the original settlements.

Mind you, changing the names works fine too. I'm just playing Devil's Advocate here.

Hans
Old August 4th, 2013, 07:09 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 43
Visit atpollard's Blog
atpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesome

An actual map of China probably has lots of city, town and Provence names that should work for worlds.

Important cultural locations, like emperor's palace names or castles.

Chinese Natural Wonders

Last edited by atpollard; August 4th, 2013 at 07:27 PM..
Old August 4th, 2013, 07:37 PM
Citizen: SOC-5

Gallery : 0
subbob Citizen

Quote:
So... I don't happen to speak (or read, or write) any variety of Chinese. Can someone point me at a good source of Mandarin or Cantonese names for systems colonized by the Celestial League in the rim-spinward corner of the Deep
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Villages_in_China

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cities_in_China
Old August 4th, 2013, 11:03 PM
Peer of the Realm

Visit SpaceBadger's Blog
SpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected Citizen

I must remember to thank Hans for playing Devil's Advocate and burying my original question, in which I asked:

Quote:
So... I don't happen to speak (or read, or write) any variety of Chinese. Can someone point me at a good source of Mandarin or Cantonese names for systems colonized by the Celestial League in the rim-spinward corner of the Deep, or do I have to go with my fallback standard of just getting a map of China and copying some placenames that sound good? (emphasis added)
GM Maxim #2: If the Players have any kind of Ship, deckplans are mandatory. Otherwise, the Players will wander around with vague and contradictory notions of where things are, and Chaos results.

My Old Stuff (2013-14)
Old August 5th, 2013, 12:19 AM
Absent Friend

Gallery : 11
rancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizen

Quote:
I must remember to thank Hans for playing Devil's Advocate and burying my original question, in which I asked:
I guess the sensible thing for me to do is to stop trying to help lest I inadvertently commit the awful solecism of burying any more of your questions.

Good luck with your campaign.

Hans
Old August 5th, 2013, 12:26 AM

Visit Fritz_Brown's Blog
Fritz_Brown has disabled reputation

I use Behind The Name to find personal names, though it only has "Chinese" and doesn't distinguish Cantonese from Mandarin.

For place names I often use wikipedia and other resources on place names. (I used it to find city names for Coventry (RD 3207).)
Old August 5th, 2013, 01:28 AM
Peer of the Realm

Visit SpaceBadger's Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by rancke View Post
I guess the sensible thing for me to do is to stop trying to help lest I inadvertently commit the awful solecism of burying any more of your questions.

Good luck with your campaign.
Aw, chill out. I apologize if I offended you. I was simply being sarcastic about the irony of two posters attempting to help by offering the exact same thing (names from a map) that I had already mentioned in my initial post on the subject.

I have appreciated your assistance so far, and hope to see more if you see fit.

My Old Stuff (2013-14)
Old August 5th, 2013, 02:32 PM

Gallery : 15
samuelvss Citizen

Quote:
I have appreciated your assistance so far, and hope to see more if you see fit.
Remember that place names tend to get "repackaged" a lot from origins that may themselves be obscure. I think that the requisite level realism will maintained, for those of us who don't speak any Chinese language or dialect, as long as you use any source....other than the NTSB.

SVSS

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Leave the gun; take the cannoli."
Old August 5th, 2013, 04:32 PM
Peer of the Realm

Visit SpaceBadger's Blog

Two new blog posts: one long one with expected schedule this week to begin play, suggested methods of posting, rules we will be using, and my basic philosophy on GMing a game. The other post is also long, but I hope somewhat entertaining, is an example of game play.

I will definitely have suggested homeworlds and some info about the pre-game journey of the Fortunate Son posted tonight, so you can finish out your character backstories and be ready to play.

My Old Stuff (2013-14)
Closed Thread