Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Traveller 5 > Traveller 5 > Pre-Release Discussion

Pre-Release Discussion Archive of the pre-release T5 Public

Old October 21st, 2012, 03:57 PM
Citizen: SOC-6

Gallery : 0
SmilingKnight Citizen
Default No book prep work

Hey I've never played Traveller before, but I ordered the book through the kickstarter. I'm not planning on using any of the older material that isn't in the new book (cause I don't have any of it, and I'm not interested in converting anything), so my question is how much can I do to get ready right now?

Are all the generation systems filled in enough that I might as well just wait for the book? How much fluff is in the book as far as set alien races?
Old October 27th, 2012, 04:34 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

DangerousThing Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmilingKnight View Post
Hey I've never played Traveller before, but I ordered the book through the kickstarter. I'm not planning on using any of the older material that isn't in the new book (cause I don't have any of it, and I'm not interested in converting anything), so my question is how much can I do to get ready right now?

Are all the generation systems filled in enough that I might as well just wait for the book? How much fluff is in the book as far as set alien races?
I would at least look at the older stuff. You can get them on CD ROM from Far Future Enterprises (http://www.farfuture.net). I'm not that fond of most of the Traveller adventures as written, because they tend to force the characters into it. However, some of them are great reading.

I'd at least get the Classic Traveller disks.

One should be able to convert things on the run. You might have to prepare some weapons in advance if the premade bunch of weapons isn't done a bit better, but using the "GunMaker" isn't difficult once you're read through everything. Though I'd rather use G3 (Guns Guns Guns available through http://www.drivethrurpg.com).
Old November 4th, 2012, 12:38 PM
Citizen: SOC-6

SmilingKnight Citizen

Well, I can't do much location prep, but I can still do story work for now. The first job the crew will be on, who their boss is (I plan on them running a ship but not owning it) and the first few horrible things to go wrong for the crew.
Old November 5th, 2012, 02:53 AM
Citizen: SOC-13

DangerousThing Citizen

Quote:
Well, I can't do much location prep, but I can still do story work for now. The first job the crew will be on, who their boss is (I plan on them running a ship but not owning it) and the first few horrible things to go wrong for the crew.
As far as I know from the hints that Marc put out during Kickstarter, the prepared background (the Third Imperium) will be the same. So previous
adventures will still work.

If you don't want to use the 3I, then it doesn't matter as much.

I doubt that the initial book will come with much in the way of prepared background material. The assumption will probably be that people already know this stuff.

You can get most of the stuff published in Classic Traveller on three sets of disks from FFE. And this includes much of the third party stuff.

MgT stuff is also useful for reading, and I usually get that at DriveThruRPG.com as ebooks; it's less expensive than the dead tree versions.

Plus DTRPG also has a lot of other stuff that isn't really Traveller, but has a lot of plot ideas.

Since MTU isn't about the 3I, I use everything for ideas and pick and choose what I like if I feel it fits into my campaign.

And really, all of the Traveller rolls are easily convertible between versions. You can even use the ship plans if you don't mind a few minor differences now and then between versions.

Have fun!
Old November 5th, 2012, 01:56 PM
Marquis

Gallery : 9
Visit robject's Blog
robject has disabled reputation

Quote:
I'm not planning on using any of the older material that isn't in the new book (cause I don't have any of it, and I'm not interested in converting anything), so my question is how much can I do to get ready right now?

Are all the generation systems filled in enough that I might as well just wait for the book?

How much fluff is in the book as far as set alien races?
1. You can plan the story, sketch out personalities and motivations of the main NPCs. You can prepare your background, write a short history of your setting. Make up the names and overall strengths of merchant corporations, empires, roguish free trader captains, corsair bands.

How big is the core of "civilized" worlds? Or is it a big mixed bag of worlds (like the Dumarest novels)? Or is it a bagful of little pocket empires, a few systems each?

Sketch out star systems and main worlds if you want to, cities, starports, bases, and think up alien races. Is there a big construct out there, a ringworld, or a rosette system?

Traveller is adaptable to rolling-your-own setting, though before you start working out space travel, I recommend first understanding how Traveller does it. Then do what you like.

2. The tools are all there.

3. There is considerable fluff for creating alien races, but there's no pre-made aliens in the book, ready for you to use. However, there is considerable interest in porting aliens and starships into T5, so *I* expect to see a free PDF with that sort of thing. At any rate, the aliens from previous editions are usable, and aliens from any setting can be statted out using T5, so figure out what you want, and then port them in later.
Tools Link

Last edited by robject; November 5th, 2012 at 02:33 PM..
Old February 6th, 2013, 09:41 AM
Citizen: SOC-12

rich4421972 Citizen

I also recommend the Traveller novels as a way to get accustomed to the "feel" of an adventure. Martin J. Dougherty has written several excellent novels set in the Traveller background. The trilogy of the Traveller: the New Era novels are also available on DTRPG for a very good price. They are "The Death of Wisdom," "To Dream of Chaos." "The Backwards Mask" and the alternate ending story, "The Errand."

Peirce Askegrin's (T4 novel) "Gateway to the Stars" is a little harder to find but you might like it, too. These novels are fun to read and will show you a few of the mosic basic and enjoyable situations that may come up in a game situation. I think that the Mongoose publications are excellent and the rule system is compatible with Traveller5 so you won't hurt yourself to check them out.

If you have any questions about these novels, please just ask. I think that licensed game novels are the greatest resource a beginning game master can have (and that goes for the Magic novels and the Dragon Lance books by Weiss and Hickman). I know less about Martin J Dougherty's novels, but the ones I have are brilliant and full of great information about Traveller and, more especially, the time of the Traveller: 1248 setting (it was kind of a reboot of the Traveller: The New Era setting but set in a more established and hopeful time)

MgT has a great number of campaign setting books (most recently, 2300AD and 2300AD: the French Arm Adventures). I really love their Third Imperium setting and their new alien modules. These books are pricey but really helpful. Best of luck!

Last edited by rich4421972; February 6th, 2013 at 01:13 PM..
Old February 6th, 2013, 07:15 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Shonner Citizen+Shonner Citizen+
Send a message via Skype™ to Shonner

Quote:

If you are going to be using the Traveller universe for your games, then you will need to read the online WIKIs for Traveller for alien descriptions. And you will need to visit the www.travellermap.com site to get familiar with the map of the Traveller universe. Don't bother with the older print versions of the game unless you are a completist.
Old February 6th, 2013, 08:51 PM

rich4421972 Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shonner View Post
If you are going to be using the Traveller universe for your games, then you will need to read the online WIKIs for Traveller for alien descriptions. And you will need to visit the www.travellermap.com site to get familiar with the map of the Traveller universe. Don't bother with the older print versions of the game unless you are a completist.
Something that I have also found helpful is the Mongoose Traveller System Reference Document at

http://www.travellersrd.com/content/official/mongoose_traveller_srd/mongoose_traveller_srd_index.html

Although these are Mongoose rules, it is a nice, compact overview of most of the rules for one variety of Traveller. The SRD is also helpful as a tutorial that may help you to get a general feel for the rules
Old February 6th, 2013, 09:31 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Shonner Citizen+Shonner Citizen+
Send a message via Skype™ to Shonner

The Mongoose SRD is useless without the Core Rulebook.
Old February 7th, 2013, 12:51 AM

rich4421972 Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shonner View Post
The Mongoose SRD is useless without the Core Rulebook.
Not completely useless. The SRD is just open game content which is essentially the nuts and bolts of the Traveller game mechanic. Everyone needs to be familiar with it at some point.
I find that the SRD is helpful for a very general idea of the principles of world building, character generation, combat and alien encounters. In addition there is a very helpful section that explains the meaning of each digit in the Universal planetary Profile. Note there is no information about specific sophont races and their characteristics. To me, these things are helpful but I am not suggesting that they are a complete resource. It's just a place to look for ideas. Without a core book, what can one use?