Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Classic Traveller

Classic Traveller Discussion on the granddaddy of them all, Classic Traveller!

Old July 7th, 2008, 05:02 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

Gallery : 0
jawillroy has disabled reputation
Default The Shipless Merchant: Does Chartering Pay?

I found myself glancing over this ancient thread: http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Dis...ght=chartering
and I wonder if anyone had played this out - a group of PCs undertaking a trade venture employing a chartered vessel, rather than owning their own?

It still takes a good packet of capital: a free trader, iirc, costs about 190,000 cr to charter for two weeks, and that I would take to be a basic price for a trip to a nice, safe A or B port. Anywhere else IMTU would take serious danger money and a very desperate shipowner (how much would you charge to risk a misjump?) To make such a journey worthwhile, the hiring agent better have a full hold of spec cargo lined up and a sure thing on the other end...

I could see a small number of PCs buying a stake in 1-3 tons of a "sure-fire" cargo, and chartering a scout at perhaps 30-40kcr to move it, rather than relying on liner routes...

Welcome!
To see more of this thread, please login or register.