Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > The Lone Star

The Lone Star Meet, greet and socialize with your fellow Travellers in the Lone Star Lounge. Random Topics.

Closed Thread

Old May 19th, 2017, 01:39 PM
Administrator

Gallery : 53
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by wettrout View Post
Really? DO you call them "Pirates", too? If you find that question antagonistic, then please consider the way you worded your post. I would appreciate it if you do not lump me in with your concept of a "pirate" without asking why I don't agree that I should pay full price for an e-copy of the same book I purchased a hardcopy of from the bookstore.

I have already gone on record as stating that I have purchased the CD-ROMs from Marc for those systems which I play, despite the fact that in at least 2 of those systems, I owned legal copies of all of the books contained on the CDs. Further, I have been informed about how to (possibly) receive a legal free PDF for MGT Rulebooks that I own the hardcopies for.

And finally, an e-copy is not the same as a hardcopy, nor (IMHO) should it have the same value. Here are my justifications for this statement:

• Hardcopies require expensive resources to print; Paper, Cardstock, Ink, Printing Presses, Binding Machines, etc, etc, ad nauseum.
  • Hardcopies require shipping and handling resources to get them to their retail outlets, even if it is mail/e-order (Amazon, etc).
  • Hardcopies have more overhead for storage, retail space, environmental protection and personnel to handle.
  • E-Copies on the other hand only use electrons and bandwidth, which is a fraction of the cost to "print" in PDF format.
  • E-Copies do NOT require any shipping costs, as they are easily transferred over the internet. Should an e-copy be mailed via CD-ROM, the shipping costs are significantly reduced because of weight and size reduction.
  • E-Copies do NOT require live retail space or brick and mortar storage space. DRive-Thru is an excellent example of this. Thus while the retail website may cost a bit to set up, it is not going to cost as much as a meat-side warehouse, book or gaming store.
  • E-Copies require much less overhead to maintain, do not have to be reprinted, take up far less physical space to store, etc.
I realize that the same writers, artists, editors, etc still need to be paid. This is why I am willing to still pay for a reduced price copy (such as those offered by Marc Miller via Far Future Enterprises). Incidentally, I would not be surprised if this is the reason why Marc offers those CD-ROMs at the reduced prices he does.

I am done with this conversation. If anyone wants to discuss this with me, please use PM. Thank you.
The above also borders real close to "Defending IP Violators" - any closer, and your posting privs would be seriously curtailed.

Pro-IP-Violation posts are TOTALLY UNWELCOME.

Your top paragraph should have been a post report, as well, NOT a public issue. Since you made it public, instead, I'm assuming you want it hashed out in public. So here goes.

Shawn's point is valid, and is in line with official policy. I'd ask Shawn to edit it so it's not as accusatory, had it not already been quoted, if it had been reported. Too late now.

And a reminder: any admission of, defense of, or stated intent to: violate Marc's or Mongoose's IP will carry an automatic suspension, and a year of being moderated, and void's one's moot privs. The only offense more harshly punished is being a spammer.

Thread closed.

Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
Knight of Deneb (Spin 2532)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Closed Thread