Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > In the OTU

In the OTU In the Official Traveller Universe. Any milieux that's been published in any edition. Not for discussion of rules except in reference to how they reflect the OTU

Old November 12th, 2018, 02:10 AM
Citizen: SOC-10

Gallery : 21
Winged Cat Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by McPerth View Post
Well. I guess implicit in my OP is the question about the officilaty (or lack of it) of the Travellermap (that keeps being a very good tool, official or not)...
Mongoose Publishing has this to say, in Book 1 of its Great Rift series:

Quote:
...one of the most popular astronavigational databases, generally known as Travellermap (which can be visited in real life at https://travellermap.com) by its users, was created by the Travellers Aid Society for use by its members and has since been widely disseminated.
(Along with many words to explain why it only has the data that it has, and any and all conflicts it has with other canon sources.)

I read that as saying that Travellermap is canon, according to Mongoose Publishing.

Now, Travellermap also has stuff that is non-canon, and marked as such. But if it's there and marked official, that would seem to qualify it as canon. Thus, Tash appears to have been handed a canonicity stamp in this regard, at least as far as Mongoose is concerned.
Old November 12th, 2018, 03:59 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 0
77topaz Citizen

Aside from that, there's another argument for its officiality/canonicity: the T5SS data that Traveller Map uses for its "official" sectors was directly commissioned by the T5 team (mainly Don McKinney) - the T5SS is pretty much designed to be a canonical compendium and source.
Old November 12th, 2018, 05:57 AM
Count

Visit Ulsyus's Blog
Ulsyus Citizen+Ulsyus Citizen+Ulsyus Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by inexorabletash View Post
I agree with the sentiment. In my view, Charted Space is a bright point of light in an otherwise dark galaxy. Outside the big powers, TL should drop off rapidly and implicitly starport should as well. (World gen produces St before TL so this doesn't appear in random data, which means this needs to be intentionally imposed.) There will be pockets here and there, where NIL manage to hold together NAFAL empires, and lots of pinpricks of light where misjumped ships have managed to found sustainable colonies.

That's not to say the rest of the galaxy is empty, though. It's just not full of oxygen breathing terrestrial sophists with Jump drive. Vast swaths are the domain of powers that stomp on those specks of light, like the Hydrogens and Essaray. (The Fall of Tinath is a good example...) They travel NAFAL or with Hop/Skip. They have multiple manifestations and unfathomable motivations. Charted Space is an anomaly, a bubble where history has conspired to allow our sort of life to flourish.

For now.
Why couldn't high-tech but limited states exist outside charted space? If Terrans could travel as far as the Spinward Marches as early as they did, they could have gone further with better jump drives after the 3I was established. I know that there'd have to be an accounting for the impediments of Aslan, Zho's, Vargr, K'kree and Hivers (the latter I can't see stopping humans on their way through) but that still leaves gaps that vessels could have leaked through in order to look for something more. What could be more notable than a high tech world with a class A starport would be the presence of those without a large starnation existing outside the bounds of charted space.

Tiberius Claudius Nero Caesar

Old November 12th, 2018, 01:06 PM
Noble

mike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizen

There are definitely polities of higher TL than the Imperium out beyond the borders of charted space - canonical fact.

The Vilani encountered them
the original owners of the Annic Nova encountered them
they pop up in Agent of the Imperium as the potential source of some of the threats
Fall of Tinath (best thing to happen in the OTU for a long time IMHO)
The first starfarers sidebar in MT

I personally have been working a lot on the Abyssals...
Old November 12th, 2018, 04:54 PM

Gallery : 1
inexorabletash has disabled reputation

Right - there is lots of interesting stuff outside Charted Space. It's just not (IMTU) packed solid with multi-sector TL14+ Jump-capable empires of oxygen breathers like Charted Space is.
Old November 13th, 2018, 04:49 AM

77topaz Citizen

Quote:
Right - there is lots of interesting stuff outside Charted Space. It's just not (IMTU) packed solid with multi-sector TL14+ Jump-capable empires of oxygen breathers like Charted Space is.
Sure. And that's why I'm interested in working on regions like the Orion OB1 Association and improving the Core and Rim Expeditions - to allow more of that
"interesting stuff" to see the light of day.

In the process, I have had several different ideas for interesting high-TL polities outside Charted Space...
Old November 13th, 2018, 06:14 AM

Visit timerover51's Blog
timerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizen

Quote:
Somehow, a universe packed full of TL14+ planets does not seem that interesting to play in.
Do you have a security clearance? New 17 August Blog Post. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElI451TxsTg, 3:24 in.
I march to my own set of bagpipes. Caution: This individual thinks that studying logistics is FUN.

They that go down to the sea in ships,
that do business in great waters;
These see the works of the LORD,
and his wonders in the deep.
Old November 13th, 2018, 12:16 PM

Gallery : 3
GypsyComet Citizen++GypsyComet Citizen++GypsyComet Citizen++GypsyComet Citizen++

Quote:
Originally Posted by timerover51 View Post
Somehow, a universe packed full of TL14+ planets does not seem that interesting to play in.
That might depend on whether or not they like you...

"Alright. Where did that Beaker get a cred stick?"
(Website down until further notice)
Old November 13th, 2018, 02:20 PM

Visit timerover51's Blog
timerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyComet View Post
That might depend on whether or not they like you...
Given that the players will be looking for Battle Armor and Man-Portable Fusion Guns, it might be hard to tell the difference.
Do you have a security clearance? New 17 August Blog Post. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElI451TxsTg, 3:24 in.
I march to my own set of bagpipes. Caution: This individual thinks that studying logistics is FUN.

They that go down to the sea in ships,
that do business in great waters;
These see the works of the LORD,
and his wonders in the deep.
Old November 13th, 2018, 02:55 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

dalthor Citizen+dalthor Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by timerover51 View Post
Given that the players will be looking for Battle Armor and Man-Portable Fusion Guns, it might be hard to tell the difference.
I created one of those far-away sectors; if you've read Saberhagen's Beserker stories, I have a similar (major) hook in my campaign, dating back to the late 70's. Most of my players [were] are fellow military veterans, so that was a big hit, pun intended.

It is also set up for major exploration and intrigue, though not so much for tramp trade, which also worked well for that group. The current plot is first contact, per se.

These days, if we get together at all, it is by FaceTime or similar electronic means. For practical purposes, the campaign is sitting idle, waiting on T5.1 and enough available "same-time game time."

Sir Dalthor Et Magera, TAS Life Member (Dagu/Ikabi) #0254
Knight of the Domain of Deneb, Spin 1932 Mithras C8B5568-8 Fl Ni Px
Baron of the Imperial Core, Core 2336 Adan D661696-6 Ni Ri
Count of the Third Imperium, Dagu 1929 Ikabi C0009DE-B Ni Ri
MCG, The Pursuits at Menorb
4518th Lift Infantry Rgt, #48 and #227

My work-in-progress: http://wiki.travellerrpg.com/Varan_Republic

I like to think I'm smarter than the average dummy