Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Mongoose Traveller

Mongoose Traveller Discussion forums for the Traveller rules from Mongoose Publishing.

Old October 16th, 2008, 09:36 AM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 0
anders lager Citizen
Default OK. Sell Mongoose Traveller to me...

I've kept MongTrav at an arms length now for a while, but after reading omn these forums I'm getting a little interested (it's Traveller after all :-D). So, please tell me why I should buy this game and why you'd recommend it....
Old October 16th, 2008, 10:03 AM

Echo has disabled reputation

The basic strength, for me, of the Traveller line that holds up under any scrutiny is the character generation rules. They have been expanded out and augmented by some new ideas, whilst still retaining a classic feel. Every single group I have come across loves these rules when they try them out. The other rules are OK too, but mostly adapted from previous editions, but it's the chargen that makes you want to play.

I like the fact that the game has opened up in different directions - you can still play it with the OTU in mind, but now you can also consider other settings and styles. I am really looking forward to the 2000AD titles, like Judge Dredd, as well as keeping an eye out for 3rd party projects, of which one or two are starting to pop up now.

I like the fact that the books are getting into shops and seem to be selling alongside D&D and WoD again. I think this could accelerate if the support is strong.

I like the fact that it goes back to the roots of Classic Traveller, by making a simple, accessible 2D6 roll high game system, without loads of frills and crunchy bits.
Old October 16th, 2008, 11:59 AM
Marquis

Gallery : 9
Visit robject's Blog
robject has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by anders lager View Post
I've kept MongTrav at an arms length now for a while, but after reading omn these forums I'm getting a little interested (it's Traveller after all :-D). So, please tell me why I should buy this game and why you'd recommend it....
It's a good reworking of the classic, traditional Traveller rules. It takes them, improves on them, updates them, and consolidates the evolved, key concepts into the core book. The characters and equipment are largely compatible with "classic" Traveller; they are certainly immediately recognizable and familiar.
Tools Link
Old October 16th, 2008, 05:13 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Supplement Four Citizen++Supplement Four Citizen++Supplement Four Citizen++Supplement Four Citizen++

Quote:
Originally Posted by robject View Post
It takes them, improves on them, updates them, and consolidates the evolved, key concepts into the core book.
"Improves" them? "Updates" them? "Consolidates" them?

Bite your tongue, Rob!!
Old October 16th, 2008, 05:49 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

Visit dmccoy1693's Blog
dmccoy1693 Citizen+dmccoy1693 Citizen+

I wouldn't call if the game earth shattering if you've played for 20-30 years. It is, however, a simple, unified system that can be used for Traveller or for different types of games. Combat is remarkably simple filling only 9 pages (as compared to say D&D where you need 3 books to tell you how it works). Making new careers, combat options, etc is relatively simple and easy to balance. Making NPCs takes A BOATLOAD LESS time then d20. World and Subsector generation is quite simple. Plus Mongoose has a larger distribution system and advertising network then any other previous Traveller publisher (so new players are easier to find).

Dale McCoy, Jr.
Jon Brazer Enterprises
Old October 16th, 2008, 05:52 PM
Citizen: SOC-9

cybertraveller Citizen

I find it loads o' fun...and it's current!
Old October 16th, 2008, 06:52 PM

Allensh Citizen
Send a message via ICQ to Allensh Send a message via AIM to Allensh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supplement Four View Post
"Improves" them? "Updates" them? "Consolidates" them?

Bite your tongue, Rob!!
There are some parts of MGT that are considered improvements on the original...most people I have seen comment on this feel that the character creation is an improvement.

Allen
Old October 16th, 2008, 07:13 PM
Super Moderator

Gallery : 5
Visit Spinward Scout's Blog
Spinward Scout has disabled reputation

I thought character creation was real nice. If your not looking to 'add to the collection' of your Traveller books, tho, the Pocket Edition might be better for the bank account.
Old October 16th, 2008, 07:37 PM
Administrator

Gallery : 53
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allensh View Post
There are some parts of MGT that are considered improvements on the original...most people I have seen comment on this feel that the character creation is an improvement.

Allen
I quite like the CGen, ship design, and Trade and Commerce. All three are very nicely done, and easily swapped into CT or MT.

Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
Knight of Deneb (Spin 2532)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old October 16th, 2008, 09:51 PM

Allensh Citizen
Send a message via ICQ to Allensh Send a message via AIM to Allensh

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramis View Post
I quite like the CGen, ship design, and Trade and Commerce. All three are very nicely done, and easily swapped into CT or MT.
I would agree that these are the best parts. I do like the combat system in general. even though the weapon damage and armor rules could use some tweaking. So far, they have caused no real issues in the games I have run.

Allen