Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Mongoose Traveller

Mongoose Traveller Discussion forums for the Traveller rules from Mongoose Publishing.

Old May 27th, 2016, 05:52 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

Gallery : 0
Visit dmccoy1693's Blog
dmccoy1693 Citizen+dmccoy1693 Citizen+
Small Starburst Feedback Please

Like last time, please ignore the text itself. I didn't even change it from the Kraft fighter. What I am looking for is: how readable is this? Is the text too small? Are the figure numbers hidden? Is the legend unreadable? Are the placement of the numbers unhelpful? Stuff like that. If you want to check over my math to make sure I have everything right feel free, but that should not be the focus since my editors have not yet had a chance to look over these yet.

I just caught a pair of typos. It should be 24 hull points, and the cost is off by MCr. .01.

Thanks in advance.

Dale McCoy, Jr.
Jon Brazer Enterprises
Old May 27th, 2016, 06:11 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 5
Visit Whipsnade's Blog
Whipsnade Citizen+Whipsnade Citizen+Whipsnade Citizen+

Boarding actions? Really?

Aesthetically it looks fine. No clutter, nice fonts, different topics in different boxes, nifty colors, pseudo-3D deckplan with keyed locations, etc.

It looks great, but the idea behind the design? That's another issue.

Lots of people will like it and it will sell well, but it's alleged role is a near impossibility.
Old May 27th, 2016, 06:16 PM

Gallery : 111
flykiller Citizen++flykiller Citizen++flykiller Citizen++flykiller Citizen++

a deck plan grid is useful for explaining ship characteristics or as a battle matt but only from a full-on view. in the 30-degree view depicted here the "deck plan grid" is distracting, and I believe modern gamers would find it clunky and old-fashioned. may I suggest two depictions, 1) full-on grid battle matt deck plans to fully explain ship characteristics and 2) cut-away graphics for "real-word" visualization of the ship.
Old May 27th, 2016, 08:43 PM
Citizen: SOC-8

Xenon Citizen

font size on the 1st page is legible, but a little bit on the small size on my screen. 2nd page, the white text over grey grid-space is legible, but feels cluttered/hard to focus on. it would be better without the grid under the words.
Old May 27th, 2016, 08:56 PM

Gallery : 111
flykiller Citizen++flykiller Citizen++flykiller Citizen++flykiller Citizen++

Quote:
the grid under the words
(head in hands) didn't even see it, am I really that dated? yeah, there's no purpose to the background grid.
Old May 27th, 2016, 09:02 PM

Visit dmccoy1693's Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whipsnade View Post
but it's alleged role is a near impossibility.
Why is that? It won't work as a marine vessel to board enemy vessels?

Keep in mind that I am not showing the civilian variant that removes the acceleration benches and has lots of cargo space.

Dale McCoy, Jr.
Jon Brazer Enterprises
Old May 27th, 2016, 11:59 PM

Visit dmccoy1693's Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenon View Post
it would be better without the grid under the words.
I keep looking at it, thinking it was a good idea, but I have to agree that this doesn't pull it off well. I'll ditch it before it goes on sale.

Dale McCoy, Jr.
Jon Brazer Enterprises
Old May 28th, 2016, 12:15 AM
Administrator

Gallery : 53
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

I'm reading it onscreen at 4×7" with no serious difficulty. I'd prefer a slightly lighter grey behind the text.

The text size I use for entering this message is actually about the same size onscreen.

Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
Knight of Deneb (Spin 2532)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old May 28th, 2016, 01:10 AM

Gallery : 5
Visit Whipsnade's Blog
Whipsnade Citizen+Whipsnade Citizen+Whipsnade Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmccoy1693 View Post
Why is that? It won't work as a marine vessel to board enemy vessels?

Let me preface my answer by referring you to the How Crunchy do you like your Traveller thread and poll. I describe MTU as "Rocky Road; it's hard and soft, crunchy and gooey, all depending on what aspect we're discussing. When it comes to zero-gee, vector movement, and the like MTU is as crunchy as all hell.

You are not docking with a vessel which can still maneuver, you are not docking with a vessel which can still yaw, pitch, or roll, and you are most certainly not ramming the nose of your only ride home into the crystal-iron hull of another vessel just to try and make a hole through which your marines can board.

If a vessel is incapable of movement, you can "dock" after a fashion and send out parties with breaching charges to make all the holes you need. You aren't, however, going to be piloting a flying jackhammer, auger, drill press, cutting torch, chisel, or other "tool" big enough to cut, punch, grind, or burn it's way through another vessel's hull because you're aren't going to be suicidal enough to risk damaging your only source of life support and your only ride home.

Yes, I know some referees think forcibly docking with a vessel able to maneuver is somehow possible. One idiot even suggested it's the same as a moving plane landing on a moving carrier, apparently and perhaps deliberately overlooking the fact that the carrier wants the plane to land safely. Forcibly docking with a vessel able to maneuver is not possible, however.

It may be fun somehow for the referees and players involved, it may be the most operatic form of space opera, but it's not possible and no one can seriously claim otherwise.

Quote:
Keep in mind that I am not showing the civilian variant that removes the acceleration benches and has lots of cargo space.
They may be perfectly logical and workable designs which will be well received. This flying jack hammer, however, taints the entire product IMHO. You might as well publish a shuttle design which reaches orbit thanks to the efforts of eight tiny reindeer.

I'm sure some other people will like it, but the science part of Traveller's science-fiction dies a little more with this design.
Old May 28th, 2016, 01:29 AM

Visit dmccoy1693's Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whipsnade View Post
You are not docking with a vessel which can still maneuver, you are not docking with a vessel which can still yaw, pitch, or roll, and you are most certainly not ramming the nose of your only ride home into the crystal-iron hull of another vessel just to try and make a hole through which your marines can board.
Totally understandable and agreed. This ship is made for breaching space stations, not ships. The Cornathians have problems with rebel groupS, many of which operate out of some orbital base or converted asteroid, all of which have a speed of 0, if not less. This ship is designed to counter that problem. It won't ram the door as much as grapple. The cutters on the front end, part of the breaching tube, will make a new permanent door. If that doesn't solve the problem, the marines will.

Dale McCoy, Jr.
Jon Brazer Enterprises