Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Play By Post > Aramis' pbp

Old March 15th, 2014, 05:55 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 0
Visit McPerth's Blog
McPerth has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramis View Post
Really, I don't see retracting the masts as terribly practical, but folding them, sure. This has a LOT to do with the practicalities of vacuum - retractable adds multiple points where it can fail horribly. Also note: Several of the Martian Kites have hanging sails - the sails come off the sides, and hang below, removing the requirement for a vertical mast. put those on pivots off the cabin or the lower third of the envelope...
Either retractable or foldable, what is important is that the masts don't interfere in the solar boiler, and so they need to be folded/retracted when in space.

My idea was to make the atmospheric reentry under steam power (see Canal Priests of Mars, page 32 for details), only deploying the masts when already stabilized in atmosphere.

After thinking about it, I guess two masts would be the better, anchored all across the ship (vertically) down to the gondola, having the spiral stairs rounding them through the structure.

I don't like the sails hanging on the sides, as they would interfere quite a lot with the firing arks of the guns. My guess is that having two masts instead of one, the sails on each of them could be smaller. In any case, if having them hung at the sides is the best solution, they should not be lower tan the structure, leaving the sides of the gondola free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceBadger View Post
I think the gun turrets at the sides of the airship structure (not the gondola) would make more sense, as it would give a little better upward traverse without accidentally shooting into the airship. The way the turrets are isolated with hatches, there should not be any issue of sparks getting into contact w free hydrogen.
Quote:
As for sails on the top - impractical. The sail mass is considerable - fully 10%, and the boiler another 6%

(...)

And in general, any case where the center of moment is near or above the center of lift is unstable. And the sails would need to be rather large, so I've added 10 to the effective mass for balance purposes - but that's probably a bit low.. With a top sail, she'd only be stable with due aft winds or a full hold.
See that in this sense, its equilibrium would be higher tan the Skylord kite as depicted in Cloudships & Gunboats page 19, just to give you an example...

Having the guns on the gondola's sides (instead of the structure) would lower their 33 tons, lowering the centre of gravity (and so making the whole ship more stable), while giving them clearer arks of fire regardless the sails.

I'm not too concerned about having the high fire angle somewhat restricted, as:
  1. Having a very high ceiling (being even capable to leave atmosphere), few ships can fly higher than it
  2. As the guns are not high angle firing, they are already more restricted that what the structure may (IIRC a gun cannot fire at more elevation changes than hexes away is the target, but I don't remember where I did read that)

I'm not afraid about bullets, what scares me is the speed at which they're incoming.
Old March 15th, 2014, 06:35 AM
Administrator

Gallery : 53
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

Quote:
Good, but it won't work unless the boiler is stationary. Unless we set up another batch of moving mirrors just for the greenhouse. Or hang the greenhouse out on the end of the boom near the boiler.
The mirrors for the greenhouse don't go on the boom. They are in little rings chain driven by the same drive as rotates the boom. (Well, two, actually - the second differentally gearing off the first to select mirror pitch to open or close them.) In other words, the mirrors to bring in the light into the

Normal (real world) working assumption is 1000 cu ft lifts 68#. It should be close to 30,000 cu ft per ton lifted, or about triple that. (I just googled it. http://www.airships.net/helium-hydrogen-airships).

The question re the solar boiler is answered in the other thread. Twice, actually.

But I am going to insist: PICK ONE THREAD. I hate the same question being bounced between multiple threads by the same poster. Rest is discussed in the other thread.

The spars should be side mounted to match the extant fiction, but the question is "to the underside of the envelope or to the side of the gondola" - and I have already discussed the issues with both.

Also - "Rule of cool" as a justification is an "AUTOFAIL" for me. I hate it with a flying purple passion.

Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
Knight of Deneb (Spin 2532)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old March 15th, 2014, 10:33 PM

Gallery : 43
Visit atpollard's Blog
atpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesome

Just a quick heads up that I will be out of internet contact for about a week.
I'll see y'all when I get back.
Old March 18th, 2014, 07:10 AM
Peer of the Realm

Gallery : 1
Visit SpaceBadger's Blog
SpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected Citizen

Trying to get a handle on current game time and light conditions.

According to the solar calculator at: http://www.esrl.noaa.gov/gmd/grad/solcalc/ , apparent sunset on January 9, 1887, at Southhampton (51 degrees N latitude) was at 1614 (4:14 PM), with the sun appearing to set due southwest. I don't know how much later than that it would actually get dark.

What time did the cricket game end?

Playing Engineer Ank Buchannon in flykiller's Imperial Scout Rescue Service PbP

My Old Stuff (2013-14)
SBRD Campaign Quick Reference
SBRD Campaign Wiki: Reavers' Deep during The Long Night
Old March 18th, 2014, 01:35 PM
Administrator

Visit aramis's Blog
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

Quote:
Trying to get a handle on current game time and light conditions.

According to the solar calculator at: http://www.esrl.noaa.gov/gmd/grad/solcalc/ , apparent sunset on January 9, 1887, at Southhampton (51 degrees N latitude) was at 1614 (4:14 PM), with the sun appearing to set due southwest. I don't know how much later than that it would actually get dark.

What time did the cricket game end?
Oh, it'd be dark within half an hour. The sun is 0.5° visual; an hour is 15°, and twilight is about 5° below the horizon. So Darkness should have fallen about 1645 ish. The 9th is a full moon, tho'.

Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
MCG - Battle of Boughene
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old March 19th, 2014, 07:23 PM
Peer of the Realm

Gallery : 0
Thanos Citizen

Quote:
So Darkness should have fallen about 1645 ish. The 9th is a full moon, tho'.
Just perfect for.... Romance!!!!
Old March 21st, 2014, 01:39 AM
Peer of the Realm

Gallery : 1
Visit SpaceBadger's Blog
SpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected Citizen

Quote:
Oh, it'd be dark within half an hour. The sun is 0.5° visual; an hour is 15°, and twilight is about 5° below the horizon. So Darkness should have fallen about 1645 ish. The 9th is a full moon, tho'.
So what time is it "now"? What time did the cricket game end?

Playing Engineer Ank Buchannon in flykiller's Imperial Scout Rescue Service PbP

My Old Stuff (2013-14)
SBRD Campaign Quick Reference
SBRD Campaign Wiki: Reavers' Deep during The Long Night
Old March 21st, 2014, 06:33 AM
Administrator

Visit aramis's Blog

Quote:
So what time is it "now"? What time did the cricket game end?
About 5:30 - the parade field/cricket pitch has some arc lamps.

Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
MCG - Battle of Boughene
Old March 23rd, 2014, 06:57 PM

Gallery : 43
Visit atpollard's Blog
atpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesome

Since Jeb was an unnamed NPC Topman prior to this, I am a little fuzzy on whether he needs to get ready to attend the Major's Dinner or if he is on duty at the ship.

If Jeb was neither expected to be on duty nor at the party, then it begs the question "who is guarding the ship?" (Especially since nobody believes in locks )
Old March 24th, 2014, 02:26 AM
Administrator

Visit aramis's Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by atpollard View Post
Since Jeb was an unnamed NPC Topman prior to this, I am a little fuzzy on whether he needs to get ready to attend the Major's Dinner or if he is on duty at the ship.

If Jeb was neither expected to be on duty nor at the party, then it begs the question "who is guarding the ship?" (Especially since nobody believes in locks )
There are guards assigned to the grounds.

The topmen and the engineers take night watches aboard - only they and the professor have been aboard routinely for months. 4 hours a night on night watch each, 3 nights of 4. Which means 2 nights of 4 where you get a solid 8 hours. It's not hard to keep watch; the hatches aren't quiet.

There has been no issue so far - generally, people stay off the property. With the recent news report (hit last week's weekly), the risks are greater.

Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
MCG - Battle of Boughene