Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > Imperial Research Station

Imperial Research Station A forum for discussing technology and related topics for use in the Traveller Universe

Old May 13th, 2019, 05:38 PM
Citizen: SOC-9

Gallery : 0
l_c_jackson Citizen
Default How does the explosive behaviour of TDX vary in different gravitational fields?

Gentlesophonts, how does the explosive behaviour of TDX vary in different gravitational fields?

TDX gravitationally polarised explosive has been a part of Traveller since at least MegaTraveller (Players Manual pg 94). It was obviously borrowed from the "Cities in Flight" novels, by James Blish. http://www.technovelgy.com/ct/content.asp?Bnum=2460

Imagine that you have an armoured test firing chamber, equipped with powerful grav plates. You place in the chamber a small charge of TDX, and a remote detonator. The chamber has a small blast-proof window, with a high-speed 3D multi-wavelength camera outside, pointing in. Your multi-species, & multi-gender research team seal the door, set the gravitational field to the desired value, and retreat behind a further blast shield. A flashing light starts and a warning klaxon sounds. After a short countdown, the camera rolls, and the charge is triggered.

In your Traveller universe, how does TDX behave differently if it is detonated in zero-gravity, or in micro-gravity? Does it detonate at all?

What happens to TDX in common planetary surface gravitational fields that happen to be slightly lower, or higher than standard? Could the explosion be slightly more, or slightly less violent?

Please share your thoughts! Thank you.
Old May 13th, 2019, 06:22 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Visit McPerth's Blog
McPerth has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_c_jackson View Post
TDX gravitationally polarised explosive has been a part of Traveller since at least MegaTraveller (Players Manual pg 94). It was obviously borrowed from the "Cities in Flight" novels, by James Blish. http://www.technovelgy.com/ct/content.asp?Bnum=2460
In fact since before, as it apeared in JTAS 1, when Traveller was just Traveller...

I'd suggest you to look at this old thread.

Not that it answered too much, though...

I'm not afraid about bullets, what scares me is the speed at which they're incoming.
Old May 13th, 2019, 08:20 PM

kilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizen

I never saw the big to-do about TDX. I would care about it if I was a lumberjack or firing spring mines against giant alien races or animals, otherwise blah.

I guess if I were doing an off-the-cuff ruling, I'd say TDX has a rating for each range of G, and gets a higher or lower amount of whatever gravitically sensitive material in the explosives defines the shape of the detonation.

If a TDX charge is set off in a non-matching G-field, it would create a bowl pointed down for world heavier then rated G charges, and a bowl with edges pointed up for world lighter then rated G charges.

Hmm, now that I think on it, I'd want what I will provisionally call TDX-V, for vertical, perpendicular to the plane of gravity. That would be helpful for shearing off a cliff for resource extraction or intentional avalanche, cutting that pesky monorail, or slicing an asteroid in half.

Taking the idea further, TDX should come in little 1kg bits that a professional demolitionist would use to pack custom charges for special effects.

Last edited by kilemall; May 14th, 2019 at 11:33 AM..
Old May 13th, 2019, 11:39 PM
Administrator

Gallery : 56
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilemall View Post
I never saw the big to-do about TDX. I would care about it if I was a lumberjack or firing spring mines against giant alien races or animals, otherwise blah.

I guess if I were doing an off-the-cuff ruling, I'd say TDX has a rating for each range of G, and gets a higher or lower amount of whatever gravitically sensitive material in the explosives defines the shape of the detonation.

If a TDX charge is set off in a non-matching G-field, it would create a bowl pointed down for world heavier then rated G charges, and a bowl with edges pointed up for world lighter then rated G charges.

Hmm, now that I think on it, I'd want what I will provisionally call TDX-V, for vertical. That would be helpful for shearing off a cliff for resource extraction or intentional avalanche, cutting that pesky monorail, or slicing an asteroid in half.
That would be ODX, One-dimensional explosive. Great for anti-vehicle mines, lousy for anti-infantry popups.

Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
Knight of Deneb (Spin 2532)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old May 14th, 2019, 05:23 AM
Baron

Redcap Citizen

My take would be yeah, it needs to be have different velocity ratings depending on the strength of the local gravitational strength.

Here comes a Rogers Rules House Rule...

PDX in different gravity fields...

PDX, or Polarised Detonation Explosives, which is the Imperial Standard Organisation (ISO) family name for TDX and OXD, is rated by most commercial sources for use in a 1-2 Gee field.

There's no point, after all, having an explosive that works fine in a 1 to 2 Gee field, if you're in a 3 to 4 gee field; the power of the blast wave (the velocity rating has a major effect on this) drops off in a shorter distance, so for higher G-ratings, you need more powerful explosives.

These are, of course, more expensive than 1-2G rated PDX.

Ratings bands are not per UWP Size rating, but by the local Gee (relative to an ISO-norm 1G) rating. Gravity ratings for PDX are listed in 2-gee brackets, thus ratings are as follows:

Gee .. Cost multiplier ... Availability
1-2 ... Normal ... ... ... Normal
3-4 ... x (1d6+2) ... ... Most tech A and above worlds
5-6 ... x (2d6+5) ... ... 30% tech A and above worlds
7-8 ... x (4d6+8) ... ... 1% tech A and above worlds ("rare as hens teeth")

Enjoy

Roger's Land Grabs

Knight of Deneb, Reft 3030 Rampart A434200-F
Knight of Deneb, Spin 2124 Lunion A995984-D
Baron Burtson, Spin 2534 Burtson C562667-8
Vicount Extolay, Spin 1711 Extolay B55589A-A
Count Lunion, Spin 2124 Lunion A995984-D
MCG (Extolay), FFW Medal, CCM (1), OSM (3), ISM (10 Years), Wound badge
Old May 14th, 2019, 08:19 AM
Citizen: SOC-9

l_c_jackson Citizen
Default Back to basics - proposed answers

1. TDX is an explosive, so it is chemically unstable, and detonates relatively easily.

2. It responds to the presence (or absence) of a gravitational field AFTER it detonates, and not before.

3. Thus, logically, in zero-gravity TDX must first detonate, and only then look around going "Huh - where's the gravity gone?" Like user "shield", I would operationalise that "confused" explosive as an omnidirectional blast, but of correspondingly reduced power.

4. The energy content of any known chemical explosive does not depend on the surrounding gravitational field, so why should TDX be any different? Gravity merely focusses the blast into a particular direction.

5. Thus, at a particular maximum gravity for which the explosive is designed (let's say 1g for argument) the blast effect is maximised, and disk-shaped.

6. Any higher gravity has no effect, beyond reducing the range that debris and shrapnel will travel before hitting the ground. You could operationalise that as a reduced blast radius.

7. Lower gravitational fields however will cause the blast to partially spread outside the plane of the gravitational field. That means less damage horizontally, and more damage vertically. That would be a blast radius of a different shape - more spherical, less of a disk.

I'm not going to go into ODX (great idea though). Jack Vance had something vaguely similar in his "Durdane" novels, in the form of expanding slivers of freezing crystal (in "The Brave Free Men").

Thanks all for your interesting ideas, and useful references.
Old May 14th, 2019, 11:54 AM

Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++

Now that I think of it, it's a variation on a shape charge.

What mechanism creates this particular focus of force?
Old May 14th, 2019, 01:00 PM
Knight

Fovean Citizen+Fovean Citizen+

It seems there needs to be a knoodling pin or gadget that initiates the gravity shape before the charge goes off. A variation of a grav belt?... It would only need to enforce the disk shape at the moment of detonation, the rest would occur naturally.

So then maybe the charges are like the flaming spouts in the ROUS's woods... there's a give-away sound or vibration (the knoodling pin creating the grav-disk) that can warn alert targets of the danger moments before the detonation.

The gadget could be tuned to operate at up to 90 degrees perpendicular to the local plane. Bonus, it would know the local gravity and adjust its force parameters accordingly, allowing consistent performance regardless of local G.

Or assume 1G sensitivity is the manufacturing norm and divide it by local G for the damage and area-of-effect multiplier.
Old May 14th, 2019, 05:37 PM

kilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizen

The thought I had behind my effects description was that the explosive itself is sensitive to the gravitational field- if it was just shaped charge the gravitics component could be ignored. So, part of that 'understanding and manipulating gravity' thing transposed onto an explosive.

If you had some sort of gravitic field emanating from a device in the center of the explosive, no need to bother with the intermediate explosive bit, just use that grav field generator as a buzzsaw.

In a sense this tech could be precursor to the PGMP/FGMPs, which after all are long-range plasma bolts that hold together their field coherently, only in a directional pointy end manner.
Old May 14th, 2019, 05:37 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

Gallery : 10
nobby-w Citizen+nobby-w Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramis View Post
That would be ODX, One-dimensional explosive. Great for anti-vehicle mines, lousy for anti-infantry popups.
I did think about vertical TDX once but realised that you could achieve the same effect with a shaped charge.