Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > Adventurers

Adventurers Tell us your Traveller character stats, skills, and details.

Old February 26th, 2021, 12:19 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 0
Werner Citizen+Werner Citizen+

Here is Ingrid's starship.
SCOUT/COURIER
DESIGN SPECIFICATIONS
Installed componentsTonnageCostEPNotes
100-ton Hull (Wedge)100MCr12.000
Bridge-20MCr0.500
Computer-0.2MCr8.000Model/2
Flight Avionics-0.8(MCr1.800)Model/2
Sensors-0.6(MCr1.200)Model/2
Communications-0.4(MCr1.000)Model/2
Jump Drive 2-3MCr12.000-2
Jump Fuel-20
Maneuver Drive 2-5MCr3.500-2
TL17 Antimatter Power Plant-2MCr2.0001640 years of operation.
Antimatter Power Plant Fuel-4
Fuel ScoopsMCr0.100
1 Hard PointMCr0.100
Double TurretMCr0.750
Air/Raft-5MCr0.273
Staterooms (4)-16MCr2.000
Cargo-23
Totals0MCr41.223

Last edited by Werner; February 26th, 2021 at 01:08 PM..
Old March 1st, 2021, 12:33 AM

BRover Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werner View Post
It is a rather unique starship, either a prototype or an artifact. I'm going with prototype, as the power requirements for her positronic brain are ridiculous, she has a remote control android body, it needs to stay within communication range of the starship otherwise it reverts to "dumbot mode". I would trade the no jump fuel requirement with self-repair capability, basically the ship's computer builds the scout/courier around itself using nanites. The ship "heals" so long as the computer is not destroyed or its antimatter containment system is not breached, otherwise it is a flying bomb!

. . .
Reminds me, in a sort of reverse similitude, of McCaffrey's The Ship Who Sang series. They were "shell people"--people who, from birth, needed life support, etc, to survive, and were put into a "shell" that was then installed into, say, a courier ship or whatever, as brain and pilot of her ship-body. A successful one, after paying off the ship, could have a body built in which to make excursions--but since their enshelled brain/organic body was still aboard, they could only go so far and still maintain control.

The ship team was a partnership: shipboard was the "brain"; the partner was the "brawn," the mobile member, available for maintenance and other tasks the brain was unable to manage.

And hmmm, it seems there was another similar fictional situation that I thunked, but it escaped me. By Frank Herbert maybe? Or someone else entirely??

Our Traveller Universes clearly are at variance. Blessed be the variance!
Old March 1st, 2021, 06:31 AM

Werner Citizen+Werner Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRover View Post
Reminds me, in a sort of reverse similitude, of McCaffrey's The Ship Who Sang series. They were "shell people"--people who, from birth, needed life support, etc, to survive, and were put into a "shell" that was then installed into, say, a courier ship or whatever, as brain and pilot of her ship-body. A successful one, after paying off the ship, could have a body built in which to make excursions--but since their enshelled brain/organic body was still aboard, they could only go so far and still maintain control.

The ship team was a partnership: shipboard was the "brain"; the partner was the "brawn," the mobile member, available for maintenance and other tasks the brain was unable to manage.

And hmmm, it seems there was another similar fictional situation that I thunked, but it escaped me. By Frank Herbert maybe? Or someone else entirely??
I did a write up of Ingrid Caradeen with both character and ship statistics, she is a ship AI with an Android remote linked in with a meson communicator she has a 40 year supply of antimatter on board and she is in a subsector of the Andromeda galaxy after being sent by a one-way intergalactic jump gate. Interestingly she could fly back to the Milky Way galaxy theoretically with her maneuver drive alone, she can accelerate at 2-G for 40 years, those 40 years are for ship board time, time dilation effects mean that for the rest of the Universe, she would arrive back 2.5 million years later, so she decided to wait for the return jumpgate to be build before she attempts such a journey.