Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Play By Post > Space Badger's Reaver's Deep

Space Badger's Reaver's Deep SpaceBadger's SBRD game

Closed Thread

Old September 11th, 2013, 04:46 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 5
Visit sabredog's Blog
sabredog Citizen+sabredog Citizen+sabredog Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritz_Brown View Post
As to loading cargo, I might suggest you move the 66dT of current stuff out along the sides of the bay, and load the metals from centerline out, and from midline forward and back, stacking them 2-high and 4-across. Basically, 3m deep along each side for current cargo, then 6m across the middle, with 1.5m corridors between current cargo and metals on each side, and cross corridors about every 6m or so.

Now your mass is spread pretty evenly, but near the centerline (in case we have to factor mass into an equation somewhere down the road). And, it's ready to unload when we get to Nexus.
I was tempted to point out the magic gravity drives eliminate the need for proper trimming of the ship but all your math here makes me dizzy. Carry on.

tc++ ru ge+ !3i c+@ jt au ls pi+ he+
Old September 11th, 2013, 04:51 PM

Visit sabredog's Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by samuelvss View Post
Right! This is why I never ran passengers and spec cargo at once. The chump change that you get from running passengers is poor solace for losing the whole shebang. It would be Henry's position that they not book any outside what the deal already allows.
Fortunately the ship is strangely designed to prevent such an occurrence so long as no one is silly enough to let a passenger out of the passenger area. We could even weld the iris shut and pump in tranquilizer gas.

Or better yet, gas them in their sleep, toss 'em in the low berths till we pop out of jump...then tranq 'em after thawing them out and tuck them in their staterooms.

When they wake up we have the alarms going off and everyone jumping up and down because we "misjumped", but luckily managed to pop out in orbit over Nexus so we are all OK and are about to begin landing now, thank you very much and please put on your seatlbelts. Huzzah!

Old September 11th, 2013, 04:56 PM

Visit sabredog's Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by atpollard View Post
One thought that occurs to me (in case we end up on the other side of needing to get from Jump to surface fast): How fast is a launch or ship's boat?

Could a ship zip a high priority passenger from 100 diameters to surface at 6G on a small craft while the ship lumbers in at 2G (or 3G in our case)?
I did just think of this: we could send the passengers on ahead if we needed to for some reason, while we skimmed for fuel before heading in with the Son. Even at 1G the launch would arrive well before we did.

Old September 11th, 2013, 05:10 PM

Gallery : 1
Visit Fritz_Brown's Blog
Fritz_Brown has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post
A2's only have an air/raft for a vehicle unless they stuffed something else in the hold.
Ah. OK.

Quote:
I was tempted to point out the magic gravity drives eliminate the need for proper trimming of the ship but all your math here makes me dizzy. Carry on.
I was assuming something happened to the magic gravity drive. If you had to maneuver on thrusters, you would want a well-balanced load plan. Or we could all just be cold and bloated at that point, anyway.

Quote:
I did just think of this: we could send the passengers on ahead if we needed to for some reason, while we skimmed for fuel before heading in with the Son. Even at 1G the launch would arrive well before we did.
Somehow, I think Mr V would balk at that. *ahem*
Old September 11th, 2013, 05:23 PM

Visit sabredog's Blog

Quote:
I was assuming something happened to the magic gravity drive. If you had to maneuver on thrusters, you would want a well-balanced load plan. Or we could all just be cold and bloated at that point, anyway.
I don't know that we have any thrusters, or for that matter that any we had would be good for anything but some mild attitude control in zero gravity. This ship must weigh an ungodly amount as it is so any backup thrusters would take up at least as much space as the M-Drives, not to mention the fuel for them.

Unless they are fusion thrusters, at which point I would argue for just dumping the M-Drives and using the awesome plasma reaction venting across the sky as an excellent bit of dual purpose technology: weapon and reaction drive.

I figure if the drives die the ship will just settle a couple of meters or so into the concrete and we'll have just walk to town for a beer. The ship won't be going anywhere.

Quote:
Somehow, I think Mr V would balk at that. *ahem*
No doubt. And he'd probably want his heavily discounted fare back, too.

Old September 11th, 2013, 05:47 PM

Gallery : 43
Visit atpollard's Blog
atpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesome

Quote:
Or better yet, gas them in their sleep, toss 'em in the low berths till we pop out of jump...then tranq 'em after thawing them out and tuck them in their staterooms.

When they wake up we have the alarms going off and everyone jumping up and down because we "misjumped", but luckily managed to pop out in orbit over Nexus so we are all OK and are about to begin landing now, thank you very much and please put on your seatlbelts. Huzzah!

Now THAT's a plan.
Old September 11th, 2013, 09:37 PM

Visit SpaceBadger's Blog
SpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected Citizen

Wow, I have been in medical appointments all day and see I have a lot of reading to do to get caught up! That's awesome!

Anyway, had another bit that I wrote in an email reply but considering the general application wanted to post here (in part):

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceBadger
Densitometer? What? Sorry, no magic "x-ray vision" machines IMTU; I think those were a Megatraveller/DGP idea anyway.

However, the hoist system will record the apparent mass of everything that it handles (weight adjusted for whatever artificial grav is in effect in the Cargo Bay) and include that in database records of scanned container labels - no need to do anything special, that is part of the freight-handling system (helps detect pilferage, or shortage before coming on the ship where crew could be blamed).

*snip*

Re: Alfred: keep in mind he is only an Interface Assistant, a simulated personality to help interaction w the computer. He is not an AI, and has no ability to create new programs, only to assist with input/output/management of programs you already have.

Imperial Core Update: In other news, Emperor Strephon Aella Alkhalikoi is... still alive.

My Old Stuff (2013-14)
SBRD Campaign Quick Reference
SBRD Campaign Wiki: Reavers' Deep during The Long Night
Old September 11th, 2013, 09:41 PM

Visit SpaceBadger's Blog
SpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected Citizen

Quote:
(even if he's just using the weapon sights for being a lookout).
Reminds me of an article in our state conservation magazine reminding hunters of the danger of using rifle scopes as generalized telescopes for distance magnification - seems the agent who wrote the article had gotten a cell call from a guy in the woods nearby with a question about something, and it came up in the course of the conversation that the guy was looking at him through his rifle scope at that very moment... He was NOT happy!

Imperial Core Update: In other news, Emperor Strephon Aella Alkhalikoi is... still alive.

My Old Stuff (2013-14)
Old September 11th, 2013, 09:44 PM

Visit SpaceBadger's Blog

I love player creativity and involvement, and don't want to rain on any parades, but do keep in mind that Nero V has hired you to haul freight, not redesign his whole operation. He has been doing this for awhile, you know... Well, I guess I'll wait and let him express his opinions IC...

My Old Stuff (2013-14)
Old September 11th, 2013, 09:50 PM

Visit SpaceBadger's Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by atpollard View Post
Any advantage in having the small craft (Launch?) fly high cover?
Eyes in the sky sort of thing?

Is it armed?
If not, what about an open door to act as a sniper platform?
Could work as "eyes in the sky", although air-raft might be less conspicuous.

Armed w anti-ship missiles - not exactly best choice for firing anywhere near your own people - but could be valuable if a ship shows up and you KNOW for a FACT that they are BAD GUYS that you won't get in trouble for BLOWING OUT OF THE SKY.

Sniper-platform: I'm no combat sniper, but I am a pretty good target shooter, and I think an aircraft of any kind would make a pretty crappy sniper platform, unless it had some way of holding perfectly still in mid-air, and no vehicles IMTU have that magic power.

My Old Stuff (2013-14)
Closed Thread