Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > The Lone Star

The Lone Star Meet, greet and socialize with your fellow Travellers in the Lone Star Lounge. Random Topics.

Old October 16th, 2013, 01:41 AM
Banned

Gallery : 0
Kurega Gikur Citizen
Default Gone so long

Robject and few others still here I see. Been since 2007 and I have not logged in.
I'm afraid that since my last gaming group I have not picked up Traveller and been away. How do you introduce noobs (especially younger people) to Traveller? I've been doing Serenity, WoD and that new stuff.

I'm now 40 and have a 30 and some 20 somethings. Damn kids. They better not get on my lawn. I'm trying to think of ways to sell them on the game.

Sometimes I think I'm ready to muster out . . .
Old October 16th, 2013, 02:30 AM
Administrator

Gallery : 56
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

Start by introducing Traveller as a better set of rules for running the 'Verse.

Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
Knight of Deneb (Spin 2532)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old October 16th, 2013, 09:23 AM
Citizen: SOC-13

Visit Ackehece's Blog
Ackehece Citizen+Ackehece Citizen+
Send a message via Skype™ to Ackehece

welcome back.
My solution to introducing people to Traveller. Pull out dice. Put a LBB (or the T5 BIBLE OF DOOM) on the table. Pull out an assortment of Miniatures.
hid their other source books for the evening. Then say : ever wanted to travel the stars, to be a pirate or a prince? roll up a character - don't worry most of you will survive character creation

Deacon Wil Alberich
Count Fenris
SolRim 1830 Fenris AA98969-E
1st Sea Lord Roderick Wystan
Knight Defender of Qevar
Deneb 0731 Qevar A4326AE-E
Anything I post here related to Traveller is open to reuse by and for Traveller,
FFE and others who deal with Traveller Universe
with no expectation of remuneration or even credit (though some credit would be nice)
Duke of Inarli
Duke of the Third Imperium
Corr 2137 Inarli B677989-C

Old October 16th, 2013, 09:49 PM
Marquis

Gallery : 9
Visit robject's Blog
robject has disabled reputation

'Sup KG? Nice to hear from you.

I go with Aramis on this one - use your favorite version of Traveller to model the Firefly 'verse.
Tools Link
Old October 17th, 2013, 12:36 AM
Banned

Kurega Gikur Citizen

There has been some skepticism as to the Serenity mechanic among the group and I'll admit I'm not a huge fan. It works but the draw of 8+ modifiers has this CT fan feeling that the classic mechanic is somehow just more "biilur" if I can borrow that term.
Thanks.
Old October 17th, 2013, 03:28 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Visit Chuck Anumia's Blog
Chuck Anumia Citizen+Chuck Anumia Citizen+
Lightbulb Interesting

Well, for me, I started off by spinning a tale about my characters past adventures.

Then I introduced them to the core rule book (TNE for my universal preference) and then with dice on the table, helped them roll characters and build backgrounds and home worlds.
The first adventure always leads to more as the players always want to get more stuff, do more important things and get more out of the game.
Count of Menorb (Spin) 1603 C652998-7
Count Palique (Spin) 3029 Palique A511965-E
Count Aramanx (Spin) 3005 Aramanx B657974-7
Viscount Edenelt (Spin) 2733 AA5638BD-B
Marquis Piram (Dene) E311777-7
Knight (Spin) 3029 Palique A511965-E
Knight of Deneb (Spin) 3005 Aramanx B657974-7
Sir Chuck Anumia (Troj) 2902 Bleak C9C6225-9
TAS- Fellow Troj 2902 Bleak C9C6225-9
Old October 17th, 2013, 06:15 PM

Gallery : 1
Visit Fritz_Brown's Blog
Fritz_Brown has disabled reputation

Welcome Back, KG.

I agree with Chuck, to some extent - use the narrative to sell them, then talk about the differences (veteran characters, some randomness to spark their imaginations with chargen), then do some chargen gaming. And, make sure you let them know you follow those all-important rules at the very front of LBB1.
Old October 25th, 2013, 12:19 AM
Knight

Visit Blue Ghost's Blog
Blue Ghost has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurega Gikur View Post
Robject and few others still here I see. Been since 2007 and I have not logged in.
I'm afraid that since my last gaming group I have not picked up Traveller and been away. How do you introduce noobs (especially younger people) to Traveller? I've been doing Serenity, WoD and that new stuff.

I'm now 40 and have a 30 and some 20 somethings. Damn kids. They better not get on my lawn. I'm trying to think of ways to sell them on the game.

There's lots of material out there now. Once the RPG Realms stuff gets linked up there'll be even more. Traveller is very frothy at the moment with the likes of T5 coming to the fore, the very dynamic Gypsy Knight Clement sector for their ATU, and Mongoose reviving and tweaking Classic Traveller.

Even though the game feels a little more low profile than when Hunter was alive and running things, I think there's more out there than when T20 was in full swing. And what's out there feels a little truer to what Traveller was supposed to be. At least from my standpoint.

Like Aramis said, introduce the game as a set of rules with some basic background to help ground your players. Then from there the skies the limit. Trek, Star Wars, TRON, Journey to the Center of the Earth, Planet of the Apes, Stargate, what have you; it's all there.

All the best.
Old October 25th, 2013, 11:34 PM

Gallery : 2
Visit Jeff M. Hopper's Blog
Jeff M. Hopper Citizen+Jeff M. Hopper Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurega Gikur View Post

Starter Traveller is available as a Free Download on DriveThruRPG.

The rest is up to you. Good hunting.
TAS Member Corr 0213 Erlu B7C0626-9
Old October 26th, 2013, 09:32 PM

Sifu Blackirish Citizen
Default time for true confessions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ackehece View Post
welcome back.
My solution to introducing people to Traveller. Pull out dice. Put a LBB (or the T5 BIBLE OF DOOM) on the table. Pull out an assortment of Miniatures.
hid their other source books for the evening. Then say : ever wanted to travel the stars, to be a pirate or a prince? roll up a character - don't worry most of you will survive character creation
That's exactly it, my friend.

It's even more stark if all you ever use are those two dice, maybe three for my options...

I have been blessed with the gift of observing people, and their mere presence gives me the ability to write about their 'stunt double' or a character in an alternate reality. There are a bunch of people around where I work who have alter-egos in my fictional universe.

CLASSIC TRAVELLER rules are perfect for this.

From gorgeous female 'mad scientist' southern belles, to bloodthirsty retired Generals who become mercenary leaders, to a 'mafia wife' who uses a hide in plain sight Stealth skill to overcome fearful odds, these three characters are ones that i wrote about in a burst of creativity lasting about six weeks.

They keep happening all the time to me, and no one has complained that their stunt double is nothing like they could have been. Everyone has ben pleased by my fictional depictions.

from DEDICATIONS PAGE, novel OBSERVER AND GUARDIAN

Any writer is by necessity an observer. Look at a relative, friend or neighbor and you might see the protagonist of your next story looking back at you. Those persons listed
below have my eternal gratitude for allowing me to exercise my imagination on them and bring to light these alternatives. What might have happened to them in a different time, a different place, a different set of choices. Yet the essence of who they are remains. They are pleased with the results...

You know they may just be saying that they like what I write for them because I tell them as an official 'stunt double' in the writing, they get veto power of their depiction, but they also get all of my writing for free.