Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > T20 - Traveller for the D20 System

T20 - Traveller for the D20 System Open discussion on the D20 version of Traveller!

Old January 24th, 2006, 02:01 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 0
MrMorden Citizen
Hey folks...I'm a little confused about the automatic fire rules for T20. In the weapons table, burst sizes are written as these examples:

SMG 0/4

Gauss Rifle 1/4/10

So far so good. an SMG does ONLY 4 round bursts, and a Gauss Rifle can fire single shots, 4, or ten round bursts.

BUT...what about real full auto fire? In a six second combat round, just about any full auto weapon could easily empty its magazine. CT book 4 (Mercenary) used to have a rule for this, called "panic fire". You'd empty your weapon and get one attack at a big bonus to hit (if I remember correctly).

Does T20 just use different burst sizes as a concession to different weapons' RoF, and does away with real full auto fire? Or is there a rule out there I'm missing? I'm not trying to encourage my players to go nuts on full auto, I just want to know if I'm missing something.
Old January 24th, 2006, 02:25 PM
Noble

Gallery : 12
Visit far-trader's Blog
far-trader Citizen
[img]smile.gif[/img] Coincidently the page I printed in testing for your PDF troubles references exactly what you're looking for here. TA#1 page 41 answers this with it's Panic Fire rule for T20. Not sure it's in the Handbook but basically any autofire, burst-capable, or semi-automatic weapon with 10 or more rounds in the weapon, may be emptied at a single target in a single action. This action uses up all the remaining ammo in the weapon and can be done even while the character is moving! The full details of the rule are beyond the scope of fair use so you'll have to get the TA (highly recommended anyway!) if it's not in the Handbook somewhere. It's very similar to the CT rule from Book 4.

Original material in this post may be employed for personal non-profit use with the origin noted. Any other use is subject to permission from the author. Contact me through the private message feature of this board.

Fund Rare Bard Rants - Donate your unused rants today!

Musings of an old Trader... (my CotI Travellog) updated - May 3 2012
Old January 24th, 2006, 03:28 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 10
Hyphen Citizen+Hyphen Citizen+
Dear Folks -

Quote:
Originally posted by far-trader:
The full details of the rule are beyond the scope of fair use...
"Fair use" is "about a page at a time". One paragraph snippet containing a rule should be fine; I've posted longer than that when discussing fixes to Book 8: Robots on my site.

(If a Panic Fire rule is longer than that, it's way too detailed!! )
- Count Zuiar (Dagu 0705)- Starburst for Extreme Heroism - Pursuits at Alell
- Baroness Heidi Maria Heyerdahl, Tavonni (Spin 1520)- MCG - Final Victory at Emerald
- Baron Sii (Dagu 0932)TAS:
- Ritter of Tavonni (Spin 1520)- Bearer (Ley: Silver 0221); Bearer (Lish: Zemud 0212)
Coins:(#170) XO (Lt) FE Holmes, 154th BR Sq
(#222) PlatLdr (LtO2), 3P, ΔTrp (G-Tank), 2B (LI), 4518th(#282) XO (LtO2), ΒCo (J-Trp), 6B (JT), 4518th
Old January 24th, 2006, 03:51 PM
Noble

Gallery : 12
Visit far-trader's Blog
far-trader Citizen
Yeah it's about half a page, 5 paragraphs, right at my borderline for fair use [img]smile.gif[/img]

I wouldn't call it too detailed, just a little involved

I'll have a look at the Handbook later and see what it says about it, maybe it has something close enough that I can call it valid fair use posting for clarity. I still think everyone should buy TA#1 for a lot more stuff and it's a steal of a deal [img]smile.gif[/img]

Original material in this post may be employed for personal non-profit use with the origin noted. Any other use is subject to permission from the author. Contact me through the private message feature of this board.

Fund Rare Bard Rants - Donate your unused rants today!

Musings of an old Trader... (my CotI Travellog) updated - May 3 2012
Old January 24th, 2006, 04:00 PM

MrMorden Citizen
Ha, great thanks! Now if it would only print...
Old January 24th, 2006, 05:10 PM
Citizen: SOC-8

Crashlogic Citizen
well I should think panic fire would fall under the suppresive fire rule. You aren't really aiming just throwing a lot of fire in a particular area to get the enemy to go heads down. Intentional or panic, the result is basically the same.
Old January 25th, 2006, 12:38 AM

MrMorden Citizen
Well, but panic fire is *at* a target, instead of just surpressing an area. It's basically like saying "oh crap, I need to stop this one threat right NOW" and just laying waste to it.

Of course it's not very accurate, but it's not quite as random as surpressive fire either.
Old January 25th, 2006, 02:59 AM

archhealer Citizen
Send a message via AIM to archhealer
I ran into a little trouble with this... My players have a vehicle-mounted autocannon with a rof of 70. Now, I did get an expanded list for autofire bonuses from Tjonslo which works fine, but now I'm having trouble with area and suppresive fire, specifically, vs. a swarm of gian dragonfly-things chasing them in the vehicle. Using area fire... how many of them got hit? a 6m area... I suppose it would have been easier had we been using a battlemap, but still..
GM--\"Ok, you\'re firing the tank\'s pulse laser at the door you want to open?\"<br />Player--\"Oh god no, that\'s insane, you\'re right. I\'ll pile those propane tanks against the door and shoot them with my RAM launcher.\"
Old January 25th, 2006, 09:18 AM

MrMorden Citizen
I don't have my handbook handy, but I think the rule is that every critter in that area has a *chance* of getting hit. I seem to remember something about rolling a normal attack at -4 for all targets in the area, but I'm not sure about that...

I'm also not sure if you can increase the chance of getting a hit on the critters by increasing the burst size.
Old February 13th, 2006, 01:50 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

BetterThanLife Citizen
One thing to poiint out. "Real Autofire" is excessively ineffective. (Which is why most modern weapons have burst limiters.) Firing 30 rounds from your Assault Rifle, SMG, even Machinegun, is unlikely to create more hits than a 3-4 round burst, in fact it is less likely to create hits than that same 3-4 round burst. (Though a true Machinegun the ideal burst size is closer to 6-9 rounds.) Recoil is going to cause your weapon to rise to the point that indoors you are almost going to be picking plaster out of your hair.

(It isn't, literally, quite that bad but an M-16 on full auto fired at a target at 100 meters clamped to a bench, the second round tends to be about 1.5 meters high. For game effect I have had characters empty their magazines into the ceiling. Lesson learned and the looks on their faces was priceless. [img]smile.gif[/img]