Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > 2300/2320AD > 2300AD & 2320

2300AD & 2320 Discussion of the original 2300AD from GDW, the revised 2300 from Mongoose Publishing, or QLI's 2320AD.

Old September 3rd, 2008, 03:32 AM
Citizen: SOC-7

Gallery : 0
jcmenal Citizen
Send a message via MSN to jcmenal Send a message via Yahoo to jcmenal
Default Cuba

Similar question like about Tibet. Cuba is not on the list of independent nations on page 51 in 2320 AD, however Cuba appears in page 68 as one of the nations of "Oceana". But in "Earth/Cybertech Sourcebook" Cuba is listed as one of the Mexican states.

In my view of 2320AD, Cuba changed its status from a federal state to an associate state of Mexico (like Puerto Rico to the U.S.) and Rep. Dominicana did the opposite thing, from an associate state to a federal state.

How accurate is this view?
Old September 3rd, 2008, 10:56 AM
Citizen: SOC-10

Waldemar Citizen

I have not found anything decisive from the canon sources.

There seems to be a discrepancy between the Earth/Cybertech Sourcebook and 2320 AD on the status of Cuba. In the desciption of "Oceania" (or rather "generic smaller island nations across the globe") Cuba seems to have always been independent. The Caribbean was never that well described by GDW.

Colin did say that there are some differences in canon between 2300 AD and 2320 AD. Perhaps we have found one of those differences?

Now, IMO, I think that Cuba is independent, and the Caribbean is made up of a lot of small Tier 4 nations. They are influenced of course by stronger nearby neighbours like Mexico and America.

But maybe, for some referees it would work better if Cuba is a Mexican state?

Last edited by Waldemar; September 3rd, 2008 at 11:05 AM..
Old September 6th, 2008, 11:24 PM
Citizen: SOC-9

TheKiwi Citizen

It was good to see in 2320 that there was a least a mention of the Polynesian islands (apart from Naru present in 2300). It never made sense to me that Fiji (which currently has apopulation of nearly 1 million) didn't get a mention.
Old October 7th, 2008, 08:27 AM
Citizen: SOC-7

ryanrulz37 Citizen

An alternative version of Cuba in 2300AD can be found on Ben Levy's site were it becomes a US state like Puerto Rico. It's a possible outcome, but not one that I would invisage.

http://www.geocities.com/levybenathome/Cuba2300

Ben also has an alternative version of how the Carribean turned out in 2300AD.

http://www.geocities.com/levybenathome/Caribe2
Old October 12th, 2008, 06:53 AM
Citizen: SOC-12

TWILIGHT Citizen

i prefer Cuba being part of mexico but if you take the bigger view i think its telling that mexico doesnt seem to utilise any cuban assets in its hot war-then-cold war strife with America and Texas.

IF Mexico REALLY had Cuba it would be a strategic gem in any war with America (America would have to fight on 2 fronts)

...as it hasnt even been mentioned i think its safe to presume Cuba is independent but maybe part of Mexico's economic and political sphere of influence.

Micronesia isnt mentioned either yet it must be independent due to post twilight war isolationism, I think Cuba is in a similar state... for example the cuban army would have, at the very least, kept 'new americas' generals busy if not wary of expanding too far.

(thoroughly recommend "Collapse" by Jared Diamond as a thoroughly good read on how societies fail when faced with calamity)