Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Traveller: The New Era

Traveller: The New Era Discussion on Traveller: The New Era

Old August 9th, 2003, 03:51 AM
EvilDrGanymede

Gallery :
I'm confused. I've got a copy of a box set called 'Brilliant Lances' at home that I was under the impression was the spaceship combat game for TNE.

Now while I'm rummaging around looking for TNE supplements, I'm finding mention of a box set called 'Battle Rider' that claims to be the same thing.

What's the difference? I've never seen this 'Battle Rider' thing before.
Old August 9th, 2003, 04:30 AM
Citizen: SOC-13

Gallery : 0
mad13142000 Citizen
I don't know...It looks like another type of warship game...
http://www.travellerbibliography.org...ttlerider.html
I do know that Brilliant Lances is the TNE ship to ship combat game..My TNE book says so.
I also know that CT had 6 different games associated with the core RPG rules...maybe it is something similar to Fifth Frontier War set in the TNE era...???

-MADDog
Old August 9th, 2003, 06:18 AM
Noble

mike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizen
Brilliant Lances is the game for ship to ship combat in the TNE setting. It includes rules for vector movement, sensors, weapons and detailed hit location specific damage. Most interestingly it also contains a technical booklet which detals ship construction, a sort of FFS lite.
It is usable for engagements of up to half a dozen ships per side, a few more if you are very experienced with the rules.

Battle Rider is the game for squadron to fleet level combat in the TNE setting. It simplifies the damage system but retains vector movement and sensor tasks. It can quite easily be used for single ship engagements up to dozens of ships on each side.
Old August 9th, 2003, 06:31 AM
Baronet

Visit MJD's Blog
MJD has disabled reputation
Which Newcastle do you hail from, Sigg?
Old August 9th, 2003, 03:42 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

BMonnery Citizen
Quote:
Originally posted by Sigg Oddra:
Brilliant Lances is the game for ship to ship combat in the TNE setting. It includes rules for vector movement, sensors, weapons and detailed hit location specific damage. Most interestingly it also contains a technical booklet which detals ship construction, a sort of FFS lite.
It is usable for engagements of up to half a dozen ships per side, a few more if you are very experienced with the rules.

Battle Rider is the game for squadron to fleet level combat in the TNE setting. It simplifies the damage system but retains vector movement and sensor tasks. It can quite easily be used for single ship engagements up to dozens of ships on each side.
Good game, got round the damage problem by only having critical hits and nothing else. The stats for the ships in BR are at http://www.nickb.ndirect.co.uk/batrider/batrider.html

Bryn
Old August 10th, 2003, 04:22 PM
Noble

mike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizen
The rule systems used in both games are similar enough for you to mix and match between them.
For most encounters using PC ship(s) I used BR's vector movement system (almost exactly the same as Mayday/LBB2). For damage I used BR for the NPCs and immediately for the PCs, after the battle we could then determine detailed damage to the PC ship and any vessels they intended to salvage.

And finally in reply to MJD, I am from Newcastle upon Tyne. Sorry for the delay in answering but we've been away for the night.
Old August 10th, 2003, 04:32 PM
EvilDrGanymede

Gallery :
Can someone remind me, was there a ship combat system in the TNE corebook?
Old August 11th, 2003, 05:41 AM
Noble

Yes there was. It was similar to the BL system but for some reason the time scale and weapon fire rates were different. Sensor use and damage were also almost the same.
Old August 11th, 2003, 08:53 AM
Baronet

Visit MJD's Blog
I'm just down the road from you, Sigg. Mail me direct at mjd.qli@virgin.net
Old August 11th, 2003, 08:54 AM
Baronet

Visit MJD's Blog
If you like, that is!