Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Traveller: The New Era

Traveller: The New Era Discussion on Traveller: The New Era

Old October 2nd, 2001, 08:10 PM
Baronet

Gallery : 0
Visit MJD's Blog
MJD has disabled reputation
The TNE Sourcebook will be a systemless mileu book published by Quiklink Interactive.

Best guess on timing would be late 2002.
Old October 2nd, 2001, 09:26 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

T. Foster Citizen
Is this instead of or in addition to the previously-rumored series of novels? Or do you not know yet?
Old October 3rd, 2001, 12:36 AM
Citizen: SOC-12

Ron Citizen
Thumbs up

Good news, MJD! Congratulations for having your project accepted.

By systemless you mean that it will be like Milieu 0, where no stats were provided to the NPCs? I known that this is not very important, but I would like to have them anyway.

Considering a previous post of yors, would be now a good time to tell us your ideas regarding this project?

[This message has been edited by Ron (edited 02 October 2001).]
Old October 3rd, 2001, 05:33 AM
Baronet

Visit MJD's Blog
The novels are close to either happening, or not happening at all. Publishing is like that. As to the concepts for this book... take a look at http://www.TravellerRPG.com/TNE
Old October 3rd, 2001, 05:46 AM
Baronet

Visit MJD's Blog
Systemless: As far as possible we will not be publishing stats, simply becuase we'd have to do about 6 sets for each personality, ship etc.

Less stats means more room for content, and we'll need plenty of that.
Old October 3rd, 2001, 09:25 AM

Ron Citizen
Thumbs up

Nice setup Martin,

I am concerned with the so called "sufficient interest" needed. Your previous post clearly stated that Quicklink Interactive would publish the book. If this is not a closed deal, can you tell us what is the kind of public manifestation of interest the publishers are expecting to go forward with the book? I don't like the idea of playing in the past of Traveller's fictional timeline, your book looks like a solution to my needs.

I look forward to see your and Marc's vision of the The New Era. I hope we are going to see it, at least a little bit, in your site soon.
Old October 3rd, 2001, 09:42 AM

Gallowglass Citizen
Thumbs up

First, COOL! Well done MJD. To repeat a question I asked elsewhere: Are we talking here about a sweeping broad brush look at known space, or a more detailed focus on the Regency and / or RC areas? I suppose what I'm asking is where the emphasis will fall between purely narrated history and regional gazeteer type information. As ever, I worry about making a supplement genuinely helpful to gamers, rather than just doodling in fine detail in the background that whilst fascinating, doesn't help the beleaguered Ref actually run a game...

Still, there are some pretty cool things you can look at which should work well for many campaigns. Given your (probably on balance very shrewd) decision to go systemless in the sourcebook itself have you given any thought to developing stats etc as Web-enhancements? Just a thought
Old October 3rd, 2001, 10:23 AM
Baronet

Visit MJD's Blog
The book will detail the events of 1130-1248 as backstory, somewhat broad-brushedly (? is that a word?). It will detail the 4th Imperium and its borders as a full adventure setting, and have a campaign area in some detail. I'm not telling where that is just yet.

Stats on the web? Hmm. I'm happy for someone to do it, but time rather precludes that being me.
Old October 3rd, 2001, 10:27 AM
Baronet

Visit MJD's Blog
Popular support and such....

well, basically the project will get scotched if one of certain things happen:

1. An outpouring of apathy and disinterest
2. A mass "butitsnotDave'sanswerssoitsnotrealTNE!" response
3. Everyone starts mudslinging because THIS TNE doesn't fit their vision of what should have been done etc.
The deal is more or less done. What can kill the project is Trav-fan divisiveness or a lack of interest.
Old October 3rd, 2001, 10:29 AM
Baronet

Visit MJD's Blog
Clarification: this book will explain what has happened in and to the Regency/RC regions, but that will not be the main focus of the setting.