Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > In My Traveller Universe

In My Traveller Universe Detail what parts of Traveller you do (or don't) use in your campaign.

Old September 15th, 2002, 09:59 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 0
trader jim Citizen
Question

what does a gold credit look like?? does it really exist - how big - what can it buy -
what is the average pay for skilled worker - non skilled worker - what is your reference???
Old September 15th, 2002, 05:00 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

lisagb Citizen
A credit is worth about 50p sterling as far as I can see
Old September 16th, 2002, 04:34 PM

Uncle Bob Citizen
My best estimate is a Cr was worth about $1 in 1977. That makes it about $3 2002 USD, or 4 Euros, or 1.5J. In 1977 the minimum wage was about $2.50 an hour, or equivalent to 420 Cr/month. A newly graduated engineer made about $20,000 a year, or 1500 Cr/month

So a 1000 Cr/mo job is worth $36,000 a year in 2002. A 3000 Cr/mo job is $108,000 a year, which compares favorably with an airline pilot.

Gold is cheap in Traveller, but I can't find book 2 or 5 right now.

Sovreign 22mm, 8 g gold
Bullion coins (not curency)
1 ounce eagle 32mm, 31 g gold
1/2 ounce eagle 27mm 15.5 g gold
1/4 ou eagle 22mm 7.8 g gold
1/10 ou eagle 16.5mm 3.1 g gold
Rule #35 - "That which does not kill you has made a tactical error" From The Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates
Old September 17th, 2002, 06:40 AM
Citizen: SOC-13

Gallery : 4
Antony Citizen
Smile

For a short time only, this special offer.

Apply now for a Gold Imperial Express Credit Card or a Platinum Imperial Express Credit Card and you could be in the running for a set of monofilament steak knives...but wait there's more... [img]graemlins/file_21.gif[/img]
Old September 17th, 2002, 10:03 AM

justacaveman Citizen
IMTU Gold has no monetary value at all.

Gold is a commonly used metal in electonics and other applications where good conductivity and resistance to corrosion are factors. It also makes a good decorative metal due to it's resistance to corrosion.

Gold is so common because it's a byproduct of the the fuel refining technolgy used in the Imperium. When you process billions of gallons of seawater every day, you're guaranteed to get a "lot" of gold.

Old September 17th, 2002, 11:29 AM

Rodina Citizen
Not to mention the 2-5% of asteroids which are nickel-iron and, say, a 100M asteroid would have billions of ounces of gold as an impurity.

No, in Traveller, gold is about as valuable as aluminum. Probably less so.
Old September 17th, 2002, 02:24 PM

Uncle Bob Citizen
Surely some one has Book 2? I can't find mine either, but IIRC the "canon" price for gold is 30,000 Cr/ton (this is dirt cheap: the contemporary price is about $9M/ton)

That is 30 Cr/Kg, or 0.03 Cr/gram.

This makes a 1 Cr gold coin with 33 g of gold, or about the size of a thick quarter. Kinda like the gold-colored one pound English coins or the dollar coins used in Canada or the Sacagaweia dollar coins in the US a few years ago. Except real gold, not yellowish pot metal.

This means a gold imperial credit is about the size of two quarters glued together with Strephon's profile on the obverse and the imperial sunburst on the reverse.
Rule #35 - "That which does not kill you has made a tactical error" From The Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates
Old September 17th, 2002, 03:23 PM

PVernon Citizen
Question

Have Book 2 (1977 3rd printing) 1st ed, last page "Trade and Speculation Table" No gold listed! Silver 70,000 cr / ton (2000lb or dton?). Later edition?
Peter v.

Peter Vernon
Old September 17th, 2002, 03:47 PM

Uncle Bob Citizen
Quote:
Originally posted by PVernon:
Have Book 2 (1977 3rd printing) 1st ed, last page "Trade and Speculation Table" No gold listed! Silver 70,000 cr / ton (2000lb or dton?). Later edition?
Peter v.
Maybe my memory. That will be a 1000 Kg (2200 lb) metric ton.

At 16:1 (a conservative monetary ratio) that will be 1,000,000 Cr/ton, or 1 Cr/g.

So a gold coin the size of a dime is worth 5 Cr, a little smaller than a quarter is 20 Cr. A 1 Cr gold coin will look like a sequin or maybe a Euro with the gold colored center.
Old September 17th, 2002, 08:50 PM
Ancient - Absent Friend

Gallery : 18
Visit hunter's Blog
hunter Citizen
Credits aren't gold, and are worth about $3US in today's money (by T20 standards). For the most part, Imperial credit notes are rare with most transactions occuring electronically. Basically you carry a 'credit' card [img]graemlins/file_22.gif[/img]

Hunter
[b]Current Projects[/b][LIST][*][url=http://www.scifigaming.com]SciFi Gaming[/url][*][url=http://www.rpgnow.com/index.php?cPath=129_7888]The SciFi20 Project[/url][*][url=http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=96742]The SciFi20 Rules Bundle[/url] [COLOR="red"][SIZE="1"][b]New![/b][/SIZE][/COLOR][*][url=http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=96744]The SciFi20 Rules Bundle w/Screen[/url] [COLOR="red"][SIZE="1"][b]New![/b][/SIZE][/COLOR]
[/LIST]