Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Classic Traveller

Classic Traveller Discussion on the granddaddy of them all, Classic Traveller!

Old December 4th, 2016, 01:07 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 0
jaz0nj4ckal Citizen
Default Military unit structure

I am trying to create some military unit structure and give a great detailed feeling for me units; however, I do not understand the naming convention and how the units are referred to.

I understand the higharched model is the following:

Brigade
Regiment
Battalion
Company
Platoon
Squad
Section

For example: On the planet, I am creating I have a unit that is:

4th Mechanized Drop Infantry Battalion

As a ballpark figure - I think Battalions have 4 companies, and each company has 2 platoons. In addition, each platoon has 2 squads with 2 sections per squad.

How would I label each subunit or part? Do I just give an alpha letter to the companies? And what about platoon and squad?

Thank you.

I do not have any other traveler books besides the 3 basic ones, so I am looking for ideas to name military units.

Also, why when I look on Wikipedia at military unit structure, the number/name of subunits never make any sense or stays in order?
Old December 4th, 2016, 01:46 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Visit McPerth's Blog
McPerth has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaz0nj4ckal View Post

Brigade
Regiment
Battalion
Company
Platoon
Squad
Section
AFAIK the order, from largest to smallest, would be:
  • Brigade/regiment (usually more or less equivalent, in some armies, the Brigade was formed by several regiments)
  • Regiment/Battalion: usually a regiment is formed by several battalions, in the British Army (and maybe others) it has been equivelent quite often.
  • Battalion (squadron in cavalry)
  • Company (troop in Cavalry, battery in artillery)
  • Platoon
  • Section
  • Squad
  • Fire team

Of course, this may vary a little among different armies, even in RW Earth, I'd expect more so in different planets/cultures...

I'm not afraid about bullets, what scares me is the speed at which they're incoming.

Last edited by McPerth; December 4th, 2016 at 08:21 PM.. Reason: typos
Old December 4th, 2016, 01:51 PM
Administrator

Gallery : 56
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

Quote:
I am trying to create some military unit structure and give a great detailed feeling for me units; however, I do not understand the naming convention and how the units are referred to.

Brigade
Regiment
Battalion
Company
Platoon
Squad
Section

For example: On the planet, I am creating I have a unit that is:

4th Mechanized Drop Infantry Battalion

As a ballpark figure - I think Battalions have 4 companies, and each company has 2 platoons. In addition, each platoon has 2 squads with 2 sections per squad.

How would I label each subunit or part? Do I just give an alpha letter to the companies? And what about platoon and squad?

Thank you.

I do not have any other traveler books besides the 3 basic ones, so I am looking for ideas to name military units.

Also, why when I look on Wikipedia at military unit structure, the number/name of subunits never make any sense or stays in order?
CT Book 4 and the NATO and US symbol sets all give a nominal pattern as follows:

Army 2-5 Corps
Corps 2-5 divisions
Division 2-5 brigades
Brigade 2-5 Regiments
Regiment 2-4 Battalions, nominally 10-12 companies
Battalion 3 companies (2-4)
Company 4 platoons (3-5)
Platoon 3-4 squads, if 4, then usually in 2 sections
Section 2 squads
Squad 8-12 men

Cavalry terms
Squadron = Battalion
Troop = Company
Lance = Platoon

Air terms

Air Force 2-3 Air Divisions
Air Division 2-4 wings
Wing 4 to 20 squadrons, but nominally 2-3 groups and about 10 total squadrons
Group 2-5 squadrons,
Squadron 8-24 aircraft - fighter squadron is 18-24, in 2-5 flights
Flight 4-8 aircraft, by type.
Element 2-5 aircraft, usually 2.

The big problem is thatthere is no World Wide standard besides the company and regiment levels.
Company 80-250 men, nominally 120-150
Regiment 1000-2000 men, in 8-20 companies.

Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
Knight of Deneb (Spin 2532)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old December 4th, 2016, 02:03 PM
Noble

mike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizen

The armies of different countries here in the real world use similar terms for their unit structure, but the actual details can be very different, add to that the terms have changed their meanings over the centuries and you can have a hard time making sense of it all.

My advice would be to pick a few real world army TOEs; Wikipedia will help - start at the company level, look at the platoon structure below (company) and the battalion structure above (company) and take it from there.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Platoon

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Company_(military_unit)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battalion

Last edited by mike wightman; December 4th, 2016 at 02:15 PM..
Old December 4th, 2016, 02:21 PM

Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++

Most Western militaries have units that have been in existence for centuries, and in the course of time, armies have expanded and contracted, meaning that some have to be disbanded, which tends to leave gaps in numbering.

That history and a human need for connectivity means that some units will hang on those names and numbers, the British solution is an amalgamation of various regiments into super administrative units that have some form of regional or traditional connection.

The other form of connectivity is a connection to a mother unit, whether a field division and/or a technical corps.

The size of units and subunits tend to depend on the ability of commanders and officers to communicate with and control them, which with modern communications system is both easier and more complex, as the temptation is to start micromanaging.

The span of control is how many subunits a commander and/or his headquarter/staff element can comfortably control, which is a lot less easier in the fog of battle and while being under fire.

Rule of thumb is three combat units, headquarters and support elements, and a fifth direct battlefield support or heavy weapons.

You can invent your own terminology, and during wartime a lot of militaries did to mislead the enemy or for operational security. The British named one of their commando units Special Air Service, which gives little away as to what the unit does.

But you may want to keep it simple, and use current accepted military terms.

Another rule of thumb is keeping company size within the monkeysphere, basically between a hundred to two hundred and fifty troops.

The division used to be the largest all arms unit that is practical to control, it's moved down to the brigade combat team, and that's subdivided into combined arms battle groups, usually with a battalion as it's cornerstone.

Battalions tend to be the largest single arms combat unit, usually with mother regiment as it's administrative unit.
Old December 4th, 2016, 02:27 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

jaz0nj4ckal Citizen

Thanks everyone... looks like I will be getting CT Book 4 if it has other options and details.

Thank you again.
Old December 4th, 2016, 05:38 PM

kilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizen

Quote:
Thanks everyone... looks like I will be getting CT Book 4 if it has other options and details.

Thank you again.
I would recommend ordering the FFE CD-ROM if you do not already have it. In addition to getting LBB4 for this project you would also get Striker for vehicle creation/small unit action, Invasion Earth which would give you Imperial and Solomani naming schemes, and Fifth Frontier War for Imp and Zho force naming, including some merc units.

Imperium the board game also has divisional titles for Vilani First Imperium and Terran Confederation divisions.

They don't give you detailed unit TO&Es, but they should yield some idea of far future unit types and roles.

I've never seen COACC, which strictly isn't CT but it may be relevant for 'aerospace force' TO&E.
Old December 4th, 2016, 06:13 PM

Visit McPerth's Blog
McPerth has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilemall View Post
I would recommend ordering the FFE CD-ROM if you do not already have it. In addition to getting LBB4 for this project you would also get Striker for vehicle creation/small unit action, Invasion Earth which would give you Imperial and Solomani naming schemes, and Fifth Frontier War for Imp and Zho force naming, including some merc units.

Imperium the board game also has divisional titles for Vilani First Imperium and Terran Confederation divisions.

They don't give you detailed unit TO&Es, but they should yield some idea of far future unit types and roles.

I've never seen COACC, which strictly isn't CT but it may be relevant for 'aerospace force' TO&E.
See that neither FFW, Imperium or IE care about the constituent units or the TO&E at this level, only giving battalion equivalents, while, as you say, may give ideas about naming.

Maybe some JTAS articles about the IM, Zhodani army or the 4518th (this last one also in the SMC) can help more in this level.

I'm not afraid about bullets, what scares me is the speed at which they're incoming.
Old December 4th, 2016, 06:34 PM

Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++

I like GURPS Ground Forces and Striker for a Traveller perspective.
Old December 4th, 2016, 08:14 PM

Gallery : 114
flykiller Citizen++flykiller Citizen++flykiller Citizen++flykiller Citizen++

http://www.globalsecurity.org/milita...nd/To1013g.htm