Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > The Fleet

The Fleet Ship designs, strategies, and tactics.

Old May 3rd, 2004, 05:21 AM
Noble

Gallery : 0
mike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizen
Smile

I have had a sudden brain-wave with regards to the light (1-2kt) meson gun spinal mounts in High Guard and T20.
You can fit them in a destroyer or light cruiser, but then the problem is the size of the power plant and the fuel requirement, especially below TL15.
Here is a solution.

Powered Down Spinal Mounts: at TL13 it is possible to build a 1kt meson gun, cost 800MCr, 700EP, rated factor E. Why not build it with a power input of only 500EP instead, giving it a factor of A? Or 600 EP for a factor of C?

At higher TLs then a greater range of power inputs become available for the same tonnage, but it is the EP input that decides the weapon factor.

A further variant would be to allow the EP input to be variable, thus a ship's Captain may be faced with the choice of losing agility or secondary weapons, or both, to fire at the higher factor spinal rating.
Old May 3rd, 2004, 07:40 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

The Oz Citizen
In a game with only a few ships, or as choice for player characters commanding such a ship, The variable-power spinal mount is an excellent idea.

In a full-scale HG fleet battle, with dozens of ships carrying spinal mounts, having variable-power spinal mounts might be too much detail. Having the permanently underpowered spinal mount for smaller ships would still work since it can only shoot at the factor it's powered to.

Of course, those lower-powered meson guns aren't much use against decent meson screens.
Old May 3rd, 2004, 10:49 AM
Noble

mike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizen
Smile

Quote:
Originally posted by The Oz:
In a game with only a few ships, or as choice for player characters commanding such a ship, The variable-power spinal mount is an excellent idea.
Thank you
I was mainly looking at it from the rpg side of things.

Quote:
In a full-scale HG fleet battle, with dozens of ships carrying spinal mounts, having variable-power spinal mounts might be too much detail. Having the permanently underpowered spinal mount for smaller ships would still work since it can only shoot at the factor it's powered to.
Agreed for the fleet on fleet engagements, but it should be managable for a couple of squadrons per side. It would only take a minor change to the USP, or a couple of side notes on a ship data card.

Quote:
Of course, those lower-powered meson guns aren't much use against decent meson screens.
Agreed again , but against TL11-13 adversaries they would make cruisers and above think twice about the destroyers and light cruisers who could get in that lucky shot [img]graemlins/file_23.gif[/img]
It would also make destroyers and light cruisers much more feared as commerce raiders
Old May 4th, 2004, 04:09 AM

Ben W Bell Citizen
Also if you fit one of those in a destroyer, along with the power plants needed to run the thing, will you really have room for a jump drive fuel? It would just be a flying gun with nothing else in it.

Maybe, just once, someone will call me "sir" without adding, "you're making a scene."
Old May 4th, 2004, 02:34 PM
Noble

I'm looking at ships in the 5-20kt range.
Using the above rule then 10kt spinal mount armed destroyer/light cruisers become possible.

A 5000t destroyer would have to be TL15 or 16 to be armed with a spinal mount, and even then could only make jump2, maneuver/agility4. But for a planetary navy or small pocket empire that could be enough [img]graemlins/file_23.gif[/img]
Old May 4th, 2004, 02:42 PM
Noble

Gallery : 12
Visit far-trader's Blog
far-trader Citizen
Or you could just use them as SSDB's (Super System Defense Boats) and/or employ jump shuttles and/or a Battle Rider mode of deployment.

Original material in this post may be employed for personal non-profit use with the origin noted. Any other use is subject to permission from the author. Contact me through the private message feature of this board.

Fund Rare Bard Rants - Donate your unused rants today!

Musings of an old Trader... (my CotI Travellog) updated - May 3 2012
Old May 4th, 2004, 02:54 PM
Noble

Yep, that would work. But I do like to put jump 1 into battle riders to give them an escape option
Old May 4th, 2004, 03:38 PM

The Oz Citizen
Quote:
Originally posted by Sigg Oddra:
Yep, that would work. But I do like to put jump 1 into battle riders to give them an escape option
That's a trick I stumbled onto myself. It's no help in a TCS tournament, but very useful in a campaign game.
Old May 4th, 2004, 05:44 PM
Noble

Yeh, it's great for getting rid of those low agility tenders that hamstring your fleet. Have some tankers standing by in an adjacent hex and if the battle turns against you you still have a chance to salvage some units from the debacle

But I digress. One of my aims for this rules variant is to make ships of lower tonnage and lower TL more of a threat to the multi-kiloton TL15 battlewagons.
Old May 4th, 2004, 08:00 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

Gallery : 2
Theophilus Citizen
All of which is do-able with TNE's FF&S.

Plus, the same thing can give small SDB's anti BB capability.